Ethereum Logo Contest - Winner Selected!

StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod

++++++++
UPDATE: Winner has been selected.

We have mulled over each and every design and were surprised by the quality of the submissions! Thank you so much everyone!
In the end we had to select a winner and decided to go ahead with both Gianni's and Skybuilder's submission, which we have contacted and they kindly agreed to share the prize.
++++++++

This thread is for submission only, discussion goes into -> http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/307/discussion-around-the-logo-contest

Design:

A logo, by definition, should be iconic. It should represent the brand, move the body, and inspire the soul. We believe Ethereum to be revolutionary, but we can only deliver on the idea with the support of an amazing community. So we need your help to define our brand.

Design something great - something that will really stick in the minds of people. This is a logo that will be seen by millions all over the world, and which will come to represent Ethereum. We challenge you to be bold, be creative, and dig deep.

There are no limits on colors or form, simplicity or complexity - just draw your inspiration from the ether. Ensure it looks good on dark backgrounds as well as light - and for print as well as digital media. Oh yeah - and it should look really good on a t-shirt. Have fun, and good luck!

Rules:

1. Each forum member may submit up to five designs
2. All entries must be submitted in the required format. Entries that do not follow the format will be deleted
3. The prize is 1 (one) bitcoin, donated by a supporter of the project, which will be sent to the winner less than 24h after the winner is announced
4. The winner of the contest will be announced in an update to this post and we’ll also have the winning design highlighted in this thread using our ‘Q&A: answered’ forum feature
5. The Ethereum project reserves the right not to select a winner
6. The Ethereum project reserves the right to modify the selected design before using it
7. The contest will end on Thursday February 13th at 0100 EST (0600 GMT) and only entries submitted before that time will be accepted
8. Only entries that are submitted in this thread will be accepted. All other means (emails, 3rd party sites) will not be considered
9. The Ethereum project will retain all rights, including intellectual property rights to the selected design. Designs that have not been selected or have been disqualified will remain the property of their respective owners
10. The Ethereum project will select a winner no later than 7 days after the contest has closed

Format:

To participate, please post one comment on this thread per design entry and include a single 1250?×?875 .PNG file. We have provided two examples: one blank template for you to fill, and another with a sample logo in place for reference. You may also include up to 15 lines of text describing the concept and design. Please do not use special markup on your entry text beyond bold and italics.

Post edited by StephanTual on

Best Answer

Answers

• calvincoincalvincoin TorontoMember Posts: 1
    The concept focuses on some of the main concepts behind the project. The first is simplicity. The shapes are 2 primitive objects, a rectangle and a triangle. The second is platform. The rectangles are stacked like a platform. To signify a solid base upon which people can build the future. The triangle is a symbol both of summoning and of structure. According to the internet some occultists believe the triangle is used to summon. In the case of Ethereum, it is to summon creative and brilliant people to build a new system, a way of doing things that is better. The E in Ethereum can be seen, paying homage to the name itself without the need for a wordmark. Finally the triangle is punched out of the layered platform symbolizing building something that is both separate and new, yet still a part of the whole.
    logo.png 577.8K
  • GlennGlenn Member Posts: 1
    There. I just really could not help my self. There is a price :)
    This depicts the head in the background, with the crown chakra, and below the throat chakra. The chakra that is associated with the ether, and also the chakra that creates and manifests energies in the world. (magic)
    Superimposed on this, is the Sanskrit symbol for erther, and the throat chakra.
    And surrounding it, with lights connecting the low to the high, is the ancient Egyptian symbol for Ether. The spirit element.
    Not sure it has logo qualities, but then it can make a cool t-shirt
    By the way, I also really like the logo from the webpage.
  • MathiasMathias Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Wireframe representation of the chemical compound Crown ether's Electric Potential Surface.
  • LeboLebo Member Posts: 2
    This design is based upon the Greek letter xi which has become kind of the defacto symbol as of late for Ethereum. I like the symbol because it is simple, recognizable, and relevant. You could even accept the explanation that Ethereum is building upon the works of others much the way Western civilization is based upon Greek institutions. I don't know if I think that's a good explanation, but hey.

The overall design is simplicity and minimalism. I dislike complex things, and one of the things that caught my attention with Ethereum was this design philosophy of simplicity. I think this captures that.
  • giannidalertagiannidalerta Miami, FLMember Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    GIANNIDALERTA ENTRY 01

It seems that the first set of designs all have the 3 line motif. Specially since the letter E.

My first design stems from the idea of Lego's. Lego as a tool of creativity and invention is a great motif for ethereum. I remember as child running smooth pieces in sandwiched between the two pieces depicted in the design. There was a fluidity that I loved. Frictionless. Which is the keyword used to come up with this design. I also feel as if the two barbs on top and bottom look like currency symbols as in Bitcoin and the Dollar. This allows the design to harken back to its roots.

It also reminds me of a battery... :)

Lastly I must advised all entrants to use open source fonts. The type foundries will have their licensing attorneys going crazy if you use one of their fonts. I have used JURA for this concept and my future ideas. http://openfontlibrary.org/en/font/jura
  • Jam10oJam10o Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    (2/5) :)

Planet - meant to convey the "web" of what ethereum can become, and also an "unveiling", seems like it could be nice swag, wouldn't wear it myself though. :P

Blocks - I've been outraced by Gianni above, three horizontal lines, meant to represent the blockchain, and the trie structure of ethereum, representing bricks in a structure..
  • drcodedrcode Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    In my mind, the core goal of ethereum is to lift the world's money into a magical new space in which it becomes programmable. Through this process, money is transformed into something beautiful and exciting and new, something for which we still lack a good language of description.

This "transformation of money" is the central motif of my logo submission.

Boldly, my logo design incorporates the world's most iconic image for money, the US green back. For an alt-currency, including the US dollar into the logo is the ultimate taboo: An alt-currency tries to pretend the dollar does not exist. However, this is not a problem for ethereum, because it is not an alt-currency, it is a platform for transformation of traditional money.

Ethereum is in a class by itself, it has no need to fear the dollar.

-Conrad Barski, M.D.
  • TracyMapesTracyMapes Member Posts: 4
    The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg has nothing on this Silver Winged Golden Egg guaranteed to be the Stork of Your Good Fortune. This Golden Beauty also Incorporates the Atomic Symbol for Dimethyl Ether just in case you have Some Uppity Rocket Scientist frothing at the Mouth to Invest in Your Fantastic Venture! Take Care! - Tracy Mapes
  • kershykershy Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2014
    Circles represent the nodes
    v1 looks more like an E
    v2 more distributed network
  • GreenMachineGreenMachine Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    A simple logo, I felt, was needed if users wanted to be able to write out invoices by hand and also something needed to feel timeless about it. My logo uses readily available vector fonts, is instantly recognizable, embodies the idea of a "Chain", "Turning" (Play on words, but that's symbolism for you), and of course, a big glaring "E". I took my time with this, I hope you like. Donations welcome!! I'll post my donation address if interest is expressed. I can make alterations as desired of course.
  • DefaceRealityDefaceReality Member Posts: 1
    When designing this idea, I incorporated simplicity, with strong impression. The logo itself contains factors relating to the money sign, an interlocking security, and display of an 'E', giving Ethereum an image to stand behind.

Hope you find this concept to your liking, and thanks for checking it out. :)
    GIANNIDALERTA ENTRY 03

As mentioned above, brands/logos need to be easy to reproduce. They should have no gradients, a logo works first as solid black and white. Color could later be introduced. The logo should be legible at a very small size or very large. I believe the example provided is leading everyone to do stark black and white logos, which is fine, but I can envision some in blue or maybe purple.

I am still hung up on the 3 planes. Specifically with the letter E. I imagined a long strip of paper or a path and how that path could be folded to get to the specific destination much quicker. Ethereum being the base layer and the others riding above, could shorten the path to the future. The paper could be stored in a compressed state or expanded. I also see the shape representing a springboard for the future.
  • itoastyitoasty Member Posts: 3
  • itoastyitoasty Member Posts: 3
  • Tyler_J_MacDonaldTyler_J_MacDonald Member Posts: 1
    The Ethereum Blockchain

Symbolized by the letter "e" sitting in a block
    A block in 3d is a cube so its a little play with the symbolism of the letter "e, cubed"
    all meaning an ethereum blockchain.
    futuristic font. Lowercase lettering easily reproduced.I agree Black and white should always come first but I had to play with the color as I couldn't resist.

• drcodedrcode Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    A variant of my previous design, with simplified lines.
  • LucasoLucaso Member Posts: 3
    This logo is inspired by my visualisation of decentralised applications working on top of ethereum's foundational protocol, in perfect synchronisation. It also looks rather nifty on a t-shirt.
  • skybuilderskybuilder Member Posts: 1
    the ethereum image has no capital letter, no obsessions of being a bold personality,
    just a commonly recognized ethereal entity powered by the collective of people that form it.

in other words ethereum is a people's project that goes far further than just "code" running on machines. it's a project for social improvement, innovating on multiple levels.
    the lozange shape represents the collaboration between triangles in order to evolve into the three-dimensional world.
    the wireframe look makes it versatile on any background and color scheme, this being a big plus since ethereum is in a way the "steam" platform for crypto decentralized apps.
    open to be discussed, greyscale, transparent, adaptable.

hope you like it.
  • bluesawbluesaw DublinMember Posts: 16 ✭✭
    here is my design for what I think best represents ethereum.The logo is of a tree"the Patricia tree" that gives us the ability to grow and build what we want ontop of the ethereum protocol.The green highlights around the tree represent the "green shoots" that will emerge from ethereum.the roots(root hash) show the foundation layer from which everything will stem from with the "e" representing "ether" at the centre of it all!coloul can also be changed to suit any background!
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    On behalf of @mysocialface who had problems posting:
    "The best way to explain it is; what happens when a Mobius strip meets the internet, using Ariel font ATM though I'm not attached to any particular font, in due course the icon is the only thing people will see, in the initial stages you mat need to spell it out for them."
    edited February 2014
    GIANNIDALERTA ENTRY 04

While considering what Ethereum means to me and the rest of the crypto universe, another word came to mind. Woven/Quilt. Ethereum will weave many of current crypto projects together. I used beginning and the end of the word, E and M and wove them together. Woven means to form by combining various elements or details into a connected whole.

As an interesting result of my design, the letters form a block, almost like a brick. A building block.

I also integrated some color. Using some color theory, we could assign different colors to different initiatives the EtherLaw, EtherDAO, etc. etc.

FYI. Everyone's entries have been great, if one of my entries win, the 1BTC reward will be reinvested into buying Ether.
  • GreenMachineGreenMachine Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I'm a noob apparently, my preview didn't appear....
    http://i.imgur.com/sVDiL2u.png
    My Original Description:
    A simple logo, I felt, was needed if users wanted to be able to write out invoices by hand and also something needed to feel timeless about it. My logo uses readily available vector fonts, is instantly recognizable, embodies the idea of a "Chain", "Turning" (Play on words, but that's symbolism for you), and of course, a big glaring "E". I took my time with this, I hope you like. Donations welcome!! I'll post my donation address if interest is expressed. I can make alterations as desired of course.
    Post edited by GreenMachine on
  • cablestudioscablestudios Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Ethereum

This submission isn't a typical 'LOGO' submission. it's more of a pitch for the idea that the Ethereum brand work as dynamic identity.

Ethereum could drastically change how people will live. This over time will change.

Static identities will not work for Ethereum as it can not be described in a single logo or icon, and over time these will get tired and out of date as things rapidly change and evolve.

Therefore a dynamic approach to the visual language should be used. For this we have looked at the idea of mapping the network to a processing language that can output the identity into a number of formats, each having it's own individual fingerprint but being part of a larger network.

http://processing.org

The image attached below describes this identity as a moving, living thing. Almost as if it were the heartbeat of the network. Think of the images you see below as constantly moving and changing according to how the network is growing and changing. On most platforms the logo would move and change. However, in a static context the logo should capture a moment of time from the network. i.e. every T-shirt would look the different as if it were a fingerprint in time from the network.

This is only the beginning of a larger use case for this approach. Artwork by Davide Quayola inspires how we could apply this 'dynamic approach' to images, or topics that could help future applications best describe what they do within Ethereum.

The Strata3 piece to me shows an exciting use of Plexus (a type of post production processing).

http://www.quayola.com/strata3/

Please do not use a single logo. I would urge every entry to consider his approach to their designs.

Many thanks.
    Post edited by cablestudios on
  • AnsielAnsiel Member Posts: 5
    I have tried to imagine the letter E (ethereum) as a block, I used a rubik's cube as a point of reference. The letter E is being filled by pixels/data. The implementation that portrays pixels/data can be refined but I wanted to get the idea across.

My second submission is the letter E made to loop. The simple font style gives it a minimalist approach and the loop forms a pattern that is beautiful to look at.

Hope you like it.
    Cheers
  • aar0naar0n Member Posts: 2
    Like a lot of others I wanted to work with the letter e. This time I made it into a cube shape and added layers to represent the flexibility of ethereum.

The present colors can be changed to represent any theme.
This discussion has been closed.