Frontier Mining Setup Notes (Ubuntu 15.04/Geth v1.0/AMD/Ethminer)

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @patrik2 Six. I've been running number of rigs with 6 GPUs under Ubuntu 14.04 servers for a couple months now.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@patrik2 Six. I've been running number of rigs with 6 GPUs under Ubuntu 14.04 servers for a couple months now.

Wow, nice! I am running W7 and it support 4 GPUs only without tweaking the drivers. Well, actually I have only 5 slots on my MoBo, so +1 GPU is not a bad thing :)
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I am really bad at Ubuntu, how do I make a command or shortcut to run the following?

export DISPLAY=:0
    export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
    export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
    ethminer --farm-recheck 200 -G -F http://127.0.0.1:8080/

@adaseb Begin by making sure your in your home directory:
    enter: cd
    Create a text file starting with the line:
    #!/bin/bash

Then add the lines you have above.

add the line: exit 0

Save the file.

enter: chmod 755 filename

run it with: ./filename

If you want to be neat about it, and accommodate additional scripts in the future, create a directory in your home directory:
    enter: mkdir bin
    Put your newly created file, above, in the new directory "bin":
    enter: mv filename bin

Now see if your PATH already thinks you have a $HOME/bin directory:
    enter: which filename

If the output says: /home/username/bin/filename, you're good to go, and your can type the name of your script ("filename") from anywhere and it will run. If you don't get the output I mentioned then:

Edit your .bashrc file and add a line at the end:
    export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Save the file. Then:
    enter: source .bashrc

You should now be able to run your new script from any directory, just like any other command.

-Best Care
    David

P.S. If you don't understand, I've missed something, or you have a problem, let me know.
    Thanks for your help, after the chmod command and trying to run it, I get

bash: ./Ethminer.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    @adaseb You don't have /bin/bash ? If you do: ls -l /bin/bash is the program there? For this, you could just change it to: !#/bin/sh , instead of bash.
    I got it finally working. I used VI as a text editor. Thanks

Do you know how to get ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.x.x working under Linux? I only see a EXE file for Windows. I want to see my hashrate.
    @adaseb You have to compile it from source code, with means you have to have all the compiler tools installed first. Unless you already know how to build programs from source, I think you might have a hard time doing it.
    Did he post the source code anywhere? I couldn't find it
    @adaseb Here: github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum - use the "stratum" branch.
    dlehenky said:

@adaseb Here: github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum - use the "stratum" branch.

Thanks!
  • etheadethead Member Posts: 15
    I've seen these environment variables posted around a lot, but what do they do?
    export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
    export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
    export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100
    @ethead They, in some cases, allow the large DAG file to successfully load to the GPU memory.
    @dlehenky and having the DAG in GPU memory improves hash rate/performance?
    @ethead Having the DAG in GPU memory allows you to mine. You can't mine otherwise.
    @dlehenky ah so those environment variables are for folks mining with GPUs with 2GB or less of memory?
    @ethead Yes. I don't use them, myself.
  • MatiasMatias Member Posts: 11
    when I type ethminer -G --opencl-device 0, nothing hapens..
  • riggrig15riggrig15 Member Posts: 4
    So, i followed step 2, and when I type $ aticonfig --list-adapters ... and it can't find any gpu :neutral: I'm new at ubuntu, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• dance191dance191 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    Hi all,

I have 14.04 LTS Desktop and I have been banging my head against a wall for 3 days now. I have searched everywhere and hope someone can lend a hand if they know how to get this machine mining. I have followed this guide and just can't get it to work.

aticonfig --list-adapters looks good with:
    * 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    * - Default adapter

But, eth --list-devices & ethminer -G --list-devices both give this:
    (++)Ethereum
    No protocol specified
    No protocol specified
    [OPENCL]:
    Listing OpenCL devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName

geth gpuinfo gives:
    =============================================
    ============ OpenCL Device Info =============
    =============================================
    No protocol specified
    Platform id 0
    Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Platform Version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1445.5)
    Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_amd_hsa
    Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
    Device error (check your GPU drivers) : cl: Device Not Found

geth gpubench gives this:
    No protocol specified
    OpenCL init error: Devices error: cl: Device Not Found
    Check your GPU drivers and then run geth gpuinfo

To me it looks like a video card driver issue (as the above even says "Check your GPU drivers" at 2 points) but
    lshw -c video gives me:
    driver=fglrx_pci

And
    lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use' gives me:
    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

I like I said before, I have been working on this for 3 days and just can't get this going. I have run out of ideas and google leads to just the same set of results. Any help would be very appreciated!! Thank you!
    @dance191 Yep, sounds like a driver issue to me. Don't use the Crimson drivers. Do a search for: fglrx-core_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb and fglrx_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb. They are stable and work great. Make sure you remove all fglrx driver packages before installing these. And you do not need to install the APP-SDK from AMD. All it seems to do if muck up the library links. The driver packages above contain the OpenCL libraries you need. The only reason to install the APP-SDK is if you're building from source, but even then, all you need is the OpenCL header files. HTH

-Best Care
    David
  • BrossingerBrossinger Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I Very grateful for this instruction. If you have time - can explain some task. I have 4 comps with 5 video-card at 1 of 5 . How do I can sync them? Because If i want change pool for example. Can I create one file which will be as setting for all card? And how I can monitoring all my card - for example temperature. Thank you
    @Brossinger Does each computer have 5 cards, or are the 5 cards running among the 4 computers?
    edited March 2016
    dlehenky said:

@Brossinger Does each computer have 5 cards, or are the 5 cards running among the 4 computers?

Each computer have 5 cards. Total quantity 20 video cards.
    @Brossinger It really depends on how you are connecting to the pool you are using. Are you using a stratum proxy connection (eth-proxy)? You need to supply more information in order to answer you're question. Details matter.
  • sot173sot173 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I have followed this guide to setup ethminer with 3x R7 390 GPUs on Ubuntu 15.10 and I can only mine on the first card.

I have tried the following so far without success:

-> adding the switch --opencl-device 0 1 2 results in "undefined variable 1",
    -> adding the switch --opencl-device 0 or --opencl-device 1 or 2 results always on one card mining, if I open a new terminal and start a new instance of ethminer adding --opencl-device 1 (or 2) I get an error about not enough memory left on the GPU to start mining which makes me think that it's not really trying to start mining on one of the other two cards but still on the first?

I have been reading about a -t X (3 in my case) switch to mine with all cards in one ethminer instance, is this correct?

Thank you in advance.
    dlehenky said:

@Brossinger It really depends on how you are connecting to the pool you are using. Are you using a stratum proxy connection (eth-proxy)? You need to supply more information in order to answer you're question. Details matter.

I don't use proxy. Connection with router. DHCP
    sudo ethminer -G -F http://ethereumpool.co/[email protected] [email protected] name
    @sot173 Yes, you want to run one 'ethminer' command with '-t 3'. Ethminer will handle all three cards. This is the "right" way to run 'ethminer' when you have multiple GPUs in your system.
  • sot173sot173 Member Posts: 10
    dlehenky said:

@sot173 Yes, you want to run one 'ethminer' command with '-t 3'. Ethminer will handle all three cards. This is the "right" way to run 'ethminer' when you have multiple GPUs in your system.

Thank you David, I will give it a try tomorrow when I have again access to the machine and report back.
  • wallet_manwallet_man Member Posts: 24
    I got lost at "download Accelerated AMD Parallel Processing." I'm on steam if anyone wants to lend a hand - scorpinot