Frontier Mining Setup Notes (Ubuntu 15.04/Geth v1.0/AMD/Ethminer)

Comments

• heaveancornerheaveancorner Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2015

one card is cold so I guess she is not running ...

PSU is 850w with 6x pci-e 8 pins. already mined a lot with this Rig.

@heaveancorner what are your PSU specs? - also, did you try this:

$ export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=98 
    $ ethminer -G --opencl-device 0 --no-precompute

$ export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=98
    $ ethminer -G --opencl-device 1 --no-precompute
    one card is cold so I guess she is not running ...

PSU is 850w with 6x pci-e 8 pins. already mined a lot with this Rig.

I think the problem is ubuntu 15+ ati drivers.
    I see both cards when I type "--aticonfig list-adaptaters"

ethminer bypass my command for the GPU and always mine on 1 card (the default one, this is why the rate is splitted)

I probably missed something with AMD+ UBUNTU ...
  • SilentCiceroSilentCicero Toronto, CAMember Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    @heaveancorner when you run this: watch -n 3 aticonfig --adapter=ALL --od-gettemperature can you get both temps of each GPU, or is there errors?

If you are getting errors when checking temps, you can reset the adapters by running this:
    $ sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f 
    $ sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
    $ sudo reboot
    Then check temps again too see if your getting errors. And yes, this is looking like a driver/software issues. Your PSU should be able to accommodate the two cards.

@heaveancorner when you run this: watch -n 3 aticonfig --adapter=ALL --od-gettemperature can you get both temps of each GPU, or is there errors?

If you are getting errors when checking temps, you can reset the adapters by running this:

$ sudo reboot
    Then check temps again too see if your getting errors. And yes, this is looking like a driver/software issues. Your PSU should be able to accommodate the two cards.
    You saved me !
    Everything is all right now after the reboot, with 3 cards.
    67 MH/s.

already 10 eth in my balance ^^

Thk u man
    @heaveancorner thanks for securing the network ;)
  • ssstandssstand Member Posts: 30
    Hope this is not out of topic...

i have use -M to do the bench test, which i got :

min/mean/max: 0/5872025/18524842 H/s
    inner mean: 9786709 H/s

and now when i start mining for real, i got this

Mining on PoWhash #80556545… : 17924120 H/s = 314048512 hashes / 17.521 s

so it means the real hashrate i have is 17924120 ?
    how should i interpret these numbers ? Thanks !
    @ssstand 17924120 = Approx. 17.9 Mh = 17.9 mega hashes. Looks fine too me.
    edited August 2015

@ssstand 17924120 = Approx. 17.9 Mh = 17.9 mega hashes. Looks fine too me.

Thanks for the confirmation, as my card is r9 270 and the -M test gave me
    " inner mean: 9786709 H/s " so didn't expect to have 17.9 Mh/s, but now yes
    i am more confident with your confirmation !
    Post edited by ssstand on
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    r7 290 ? you mean R9 290 right ?
    Marvell9 said:

r7 290 ? you mean R9 290 right ?

sorry... it was r9 270 actually..
    @ssstand yeah, that seems about right :)
  • tehreettehreet Member Posts: 6
    I get an error when i try to check the temps on the cards, although they list out fine:

[email protected]:~$ sudo aticonfig --adapter=ALL --od-gettemperature
    ERROR - X needs to be running to perform AMD Overdrive(TM) commands

• dabystrudabystru Member Posts: 13
    The instructions above start from Ubuntu Server and don't install any X software. I had to install Gnome to make everything work:

sudo apt-get install gnome-core gnome-session-flashback
    edited August 2015

$ sudo reboot
    You saved me !
    Everything is all right now after the reboot, with 3 cards.
    67 MH/s.

already 10 eth in my balance ^^

Thk u man
    $ sudo reboot
    @tehreet before you try the command listed by @dabystru please try resetING your adapters with the three commands listed above.
    Post edited by SilentCicero on
  • exahashexahash Member Posts: 1
    @dabystru - If gnome is too heavy for your liking, I've used openbox and slim on headless rigs since early 2011:
    aptitude install xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg xorg openbox obconf slim

slim can be configured to auto-login as you - see /etc/slim.conf change the default_user and auto_login lines
    edited August 2015
    Now i'm getting this error when trying to check temperatures or do anything with -aticonfig:

ERROR - X needs to be running to perform AMD Overdrive(TM) commands

I've tried running these commands:
    $ sudo reboot

No avail. I've installed GNOME as well, didn't help. I think fixing this issue will fix my overall issue.
    @tehreet is your Ubuntu setup fresh, like fresh OS/geth etc?

What is your computer specs, etc.

Did you have it running before or never?

Everything was just reinstalled an hour ago. Fresh everything.

I'm running 3 R9 280x from Sapphire (3GB each). I did have it mining last night, but for some reason it stopped showing the temps on the cards. I am now getting this error when i attempt to mine using ethminer -G

miner 22:45:20|ethminer Mining on PoWhash #4a1b9b55… : 55986842 H/s = 28049408 hashes / 0.501 s
    ✘ 22:45:20|ethminer Failed to submit hashrate.
    ✘ 22:45:20|ethminer Dynamic exception type: N7jsonrpc16JsonRpcExceptionE
    std::exception::what: Exception -32601 : METHOD_NOT_FOUND: The method being requested is not available on this server: eth_submitHashrate method not implemented

what are the geth/ethminer CMD line settings?

Did you try running an update?
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    tehreet said:

Everything was just reinstalled an hour ago. Fresh everything.

I'm running 3 R9 280x from Sapphire (3GB each). I did have it mining last night, but for some reason it stopped showing the temps on the cards. I am now getting this error when i attempt to mine using ethminer -G

miner 22:45:20|ethminer Mining on PoWhash #4a1b9b55… : 55986842 H/s = 28049408 hashes / 0.501 s
    ✘ 22:45:20|ethminer Failed to submit hashrate.
    ✘ 22:45:20|ethminer Dynamic exception type: N7jsonrpc16JsonRpcExceptionE
    std::exception::what: Exception -32601 : METHOD_NOT_FOUND: The method being requested is not available on this server: eth_submitHashrate method not implemented

Yeah i see those ethminer messages as well, from what i heard its becase the viersion of of geth installed via the PPA is not the master branch and those methods dont exist. Suppsoedly the units are still mining ?

what are the geth/ethminer CMD line settings?

Did you try running an update?

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot
    I'm using ethminer -m -G to mine, and i'm using geth --rpc --rpccorsdomain "localhost" --autodag for geth. I wait until Geth is caught up on the blockchain, and then i attempt to mine. I have tried upgrading/installing updates and rebooting.
  • hotsnowhotsnow Member Posts: 8
    I have a problem with starting the miners. If I am mining with the first card and then I start mining with the second card as well the hash rate drops to half on both cards. Also when trying to start the third one it doesn't allow me. Anybody knows a workaround? I start them using: ethminer -G --opencl-device X. I open a window for each card. Is this the correct way? I'm thinking that maybe ethminer doesn't recognise all of my cards.
  • hangabershangabers Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2015
    If your cards are identical, OpenCL may not see only one card, but your drivers will list both. Set them to crossfire with catalyst if you can't get temperatures for both cards, nor ethminer seeing both; ~$ethminer -G --list-devices .
    I know crossfire is bad, but sometimes thats the only way

Once ethminer lists your cards, use ~$ethminer -G --opencl-platform X (an all amd CPU and GPU system likely all sit on 0, but others could be set to 1, or 2)

OpenCl lets systems have multiple computing platforms with multiple devices.
    ethminer lets you target with both flags.

But I will say, I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.3 and I am > < this close to upgrading to 15.
    I think something isn't pegging the PCIE IDs a device entry library somewhere. So it only shows 1 card as identified. I think this could be an issue with PCIE v2 expecting the presence of a crossfire cable because no data so small and slow enough for PCIE v2 bus-rate will require the power of two GPUs actually talking to each-other. Newer PCIE v3 cards don't have crossfire cable slots, so they often don't have them. I have two identical cards (same model number) and they have to work in crossfire to force the ID for another program. And I'm starting to think, Ubuntu 14.04.3 isn't doing that, or Catalyst doesn't know how to list correctly in Ubuntu 14.04.3. Plus I have only gotten it correctly working a handful of times while sitting in crossfire before some issue like ethminer and geth fighting over DAG creation, boot mess ups, and grub ball drops.

Try setting: ~$export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=98 to change your environment tables.

And lastly sometimes all it needs is a new ~$amdconfig --adapter=all --initial as Xorg is a touchy miss-tress.
  • bartabbartab Member Posts: 4
    more useful commands for your tmux, hope that helps
    watch -n 3 aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
    to see the GPU load
    watch -n 3 DISPLAY=:0.0 aticonfig --pplib-cmd\"get fanspeed 0\"
    to get the fanspeed
  • AmiAmi Member Posts: 39
    I tried everything, nothing worked. In the end i switch to Ubuntu 15, and everything worked. It seems to be a conflict between 14.0.4.03 and AtI Cataylist (fglrx-updates) but it works with Ubuntu 14.0.4.2. Also in your Bios make sure you have GPU acceleration on if you want you cards Crossfired AND you have 2 Cards both on PCI x16. If you have a card on any other PCIe then run them independently. After a few days of debugging that's what I figured out.
  • ZomiZomi Member Posts: 10
    Which guide is best? Is?
    or this one? http://spacience.blogspot.de/2015/05/ethereum-gpu-mining-ubuntu-1404-lts.html

I have 1 r7 370 and gives me all the Hashrate.
  • PlanetETHPlanetETH Member Posts: 13
    @SilentCicero Thanks for this guide, i have been reading all week on how to setup a GPU miner and this is the most direct and straight forward guide i have been able to find.

A friend has an old 280x card that i can use so i will have a go at setting it up today using your instructions.

Is there anything in your guide that has changed or needs to be updated? I see that i no longer need to build the genesis block and we now use a different command to launch ethminer.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 but will switch to 15.04 before i try and get ETHminer running.

Thanks.

• PlanetETHPlanetETH Member Posts: 13
    @SilentCicero just wanted to drop in and say thanks again, managed to mine my first bit of Ether today. :smiley:
    @PlanetETH awesome! Glad the guide helps. And yes, this needs to be adjusted now.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭

@PlanetETH awesome! Glad the guide helps. And yes, this needs to be adjusted now.

How many GPUs per rig Ubuntu can support?