password requirments

drekrobdrekrob Member Posts: 1
Can't remember my pre-sale password. Can someone tell me what the password requirements have been? This usually helps me remind the password.

Comments

  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Please contact helpdesk@ethereum.org
  • yhomegayhomega FranceMember Posts: 7
    same here :/ I sent an email to the helpdesk. I hope there is an easy way to recover/bruteforce my password.
  • yhomegayhomega FranceMember Posts: 7
    So I'm trying to bruteforce my password, I know my password is a passphrase, but I don't remember the symbol I used. I tried to generate with crunch a dictionnary but I was not able to set up words instead of caracteres. Do you recommand a program to generate this dictionnary?

    cheers
  • PoorPythonProgrammerPoorPythonProgrammer Member Posts: 3
    @drekrob and @yhomega, did either of you ever hear back from the helpdesk? If so, what did they say? In a similar predicament...

    Thanks in advance!!
  • literarydeviceliterarydevice TorontoMember Posts: 13
    Hi guys. Here are the standard steps that we offer from helpdesk on password recovery:

    If you need help jogging your memory, you can visit our old sale site at: https://stage.ethereum.org -- this sometimes helps if you have a standard algorithm that you use for generating passwords without a password generator.

    For brute-force password recovery, you can try using https://github.com/burjorjee/pyethrecover (requires Python and the bitcoin package from python-pip). If you know at least part of your password, you can use this program to automate the testing of permutations of your known password characters (just add them all to a text file).

    The forked version of pyethrecover (linked above) does offer some options for generating permutations around known blocks of your password; try that tool. We don't yet have a tool that will generate a dictionary list of possible password combinations; I'll look around for something useful
  • shawnlearyshawnleary Member Posts: 20
    Try to relive that fateful night one year ago! https://stage.ethereum.org
  • shawnlearyshawnleary Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2015
    There is a rumor that certain characters are not porting well to frontier geth? is this true?

    Also, was there a character limit? I believe i used an 85+ character string with every symbol on the keyboard including |\?~ etc.
  • shawnlearyshawnleary Member Posts: 20
    My question still remains unanswered, were there any characters excluded or have current known issues?
  • mimarobmimarob Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for all this stuff guys, I'm now officially in the same boat. But it does not seem that the pyetherrecover does the right thing. I put like ('a','b',...'z','0'...'9'), on each line and then made 10 of these lines.

    It seems it should take my rather low-end virtual machine more than a few seconds to test all these 36^10 =~ 3.6 quadrillion combinations.

    test.txt:
    [
    ('a','b',...'z','0'...'9'),
    .
    .
    ('a','b',...'z','0'...'9'),
    ('a','b',...'z','0'...'9')
    ]

    This is the download link I was using:

    https://github.com/burjorjee/pyethrecover/archive/master.zip

    python pyethrecover.py -w [MY_JSON].json -f test.txt

    An abandoned .json file (with an emptied account) and a known password would be a tremendous help here!!
  • mimarobmimarob Member Posts: 33
    Update: one should use the -s option instead of -w ...
  • tomlondontomlondon Member Posts: 31
    Can somone explain how to used the pyethrecover tool?
  • tomlondontomlondon Member Posts: 31
    I have typed the following below into the command line on windows but I get back and error message bellow.

    I have coppied the pyehtrecover.py file into the python 27 folder but still it cant find the file.

    Can anyone help?

    p.s. I used the -w and -s option but both have the same error.


    C:\Python27>python pyethrecover.py -w ethereum-wallet-5dd53ae897526b167d39f1744ef7c3da5b37a293.json -f passwords.txt


    python: can't open file 'pyethrecover.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory



  • DogecoinDogecoin Member Posts: 5
    mimarob said:

    Update: one should use the -s option instead of -w ...

    that isn't even an option..?
  • tautau Member Posts: 7
    drekrob said:

    Can't remember my pre-sale password. Can someone tell me what the password requirements have been? This usually helps me remind the password.

    Have you recovered your password?
  • PaulPWilliamsPaulPWilliams Member Posts: 1
    -s instead of the -f for a password spec file
    RTFM
  • SăndelSăndel Member Posts: 3
    I've got a similar problem but with a regular keychain. The etherbase is encrypted with a pass I forgot as I had installed the wallet in early March. Started mining last month and completly forgot that Mist asked me to encrypt the wallet before installation... Got used with Bitcoin wallet as the encryption is optional... which I encrypt after getting some coins and then back it up...

    Now I've been trying (HARD) to remember and eve wrote some simple scypts to test various password combos as I have a large but limited repository of words and numbers I use on a regular basis...
    But I used geth --unlock $etherbase which is awfully slow...

    The keychain looks like it's json formatted but that nifty python tool fails with
    " KeyError: 'encseed'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./pyethrecover.py", line 230, in
    __main__()
    File "./pyethrecover.py", line 227, in __main__
    sys.stdout.flush()"
    and hangs the terminal with that last function (like reseting the term)

    Was this even meant to work with the keychain? There are very few words on this on the net.
    Never saw one of those pre-sale wallets and how they are formatted...

    Should I change encseed to salt?... mmm
    Not being a python jedi master... :)
  • NoMoSnacksNoMoSnacks Member Posts: 1
    Săndel said:

    I've got a similar problem but with a regular keychain. The etherbase is encrypted with a pass I forgot as I had installed the wallet in early March. Started mining last month and completly forgot that Mist asked me to encrypt the wallet before installation... Got used with Bitcoin wallet as the encryption is optional... which I encrypt after getting some coins and then back it up...

    Now I've been trying (HARD) to remember and eve wrote some simple scypts to test various password combos as I have a large but limited repository of words and numbers I use on a regular basis...
    But I used geth --unlock $etherbase which is awfully slow...

    The keychain looks like it's json formatted but that nifty python tool fails with
    " KeyError: 'encseed'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./pyethrecover.py", line 230, in
    __main__()
    File "./pyethrecover.py", line 227, in __main__
    sys.stdout.flush()"
    and hangs the terminal with that last function (like reseting the term)

    Was this even meant to work with the keychain? There are very few words on this on the net.
    Never saw one of those pre-sale wallets and how they are formatted...

    Should I change encseed to salt?... mmm
    Not being a python jedi master... :)


    Was anybody able to solve this problem? I'm pretty sure I made a typo when creating my password for a Mist wallet. I have spent time fiddling with the code of pyethrecover to no avail.
  • IndianaIndiana Member Posts: 6
    My son has his password but for whatever reason it wont work. worth $400,000.00 now. And I cant find my darn json file worth $700,000.00 I cant believe we are so close to that much money.
  • SolaceSolace Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat. Been running brute force for almost a month now.

    We really need an official tool for this. There's a massive community of people who are in the same boat.

    I'd really like to see stage.ethereum.org opened back up, it's possible my browser remembers the password...
  • seansmitty42seansmitty42 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same situation.
  • zakalwezakalwe Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited August 17
    @StephanTual hi there I stil have problems with my presale wallet. I'm sure about the password but I am afraid I did it with the ipad. Is it possible to check it on the old website? Maybe I can type it and you can check if it has been changed in something else. Please help.
    Thankyou.
    Post edited by zakalwe on
  • TechvttTechvtt Member Posts: 33
    have you all recovered your password?
  • figmentfigment Member Posts: 6
    I've also discovered a tool written in Go: ethcracker
    ... still not cracked mine though :-/
  • ltfschoenltfschoen Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 4
    edited September 23
    I had forgotten parts of my presale password. I used https://github.com/ryepdx/pyethrecover to crack it successfully with brute force using their password specification
Sign In or Register to comment.