sale of ether

tbarbarnetttbarbarnett Member Posts: 1
Having missed the initial sale of ether, if I understand it, I have to wait until ether is tradable. When is that likely to be possible?

Comments

• mikmik Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    As I know, it's intended to have some exchanges on board when Frontier launches. Would be interesting to know which ones are in debate :)
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited July 2015
    Once the genesis block has been released, there will be a short period of time on the network where no transactions can take place due to an artificially low gas limit. This allows for the hashrate to ramp up to a satisfactory level without the possibility of 51% attacks on the network during the first few days.

Once the hashrate is high enough, transactions will be enabled by a rising block gas limit enabling Ether to finally become fungible on the network.

Edit: I'm moving this post over to "General Project Discussion (Non-Technical)".
    Post edited by GeorgeHallam on
  • roz303roz303 Member Posts: 66
    Just as a side note - it is highly recommended you do not buy into anyone offering presale ether. This is because someone offering could either hand you a bogus private key, or they could take it all out when frontier launches, leaving you absolutely nothing. So it'll be in your best interest to wait just a little longer. It'll be worth every second :smiley:
  • aurel_gatecoinaurel_gatecoin Member Posts: 6

We have opened the ethbtc order book and deposits will open as soon as the thawing period ends. We cannot accept US residents unfortunately, but people living in other countries are welcome to join!
  • kvbkvb Member Posts: 12
    roz303 said:

Just as a side note - it is highly recommended you do not buy into anyone offering presale ether. This is because someone offering could either hand you a bogus private key, or they could take it all out when frontier launches, leaving you absolutely nothing. So it'll be in your best interest to wait just a little longer. It'll be worth every second :smiley:

Well that can only happen if you don't use escrow for the trade. If you use a reputable escrow using bitcoin multisig address, then there is really little that can go wrong. Bitrated.com is a good place to use. It's open source, no platform fees, uses a third party arbitrators(agents) that you can choose from and good security using cryptography keys. You can watch an introduction clip on their main page that explains the idea.