skithuno's guide to GPU mining on Ubuntu 14.04 from scratch

skithunoskithuno Posts: 74Member
Thought I'd share the blog post I did for all the noobies out there trying to get GPU mining to work.

skithuno's guide to GPU mining on Ubuntu

Comments

• fuzionrigfuzionrig Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for the instructions. I am using a Sapphire R290 and it is only hashing 113000 H/s? Normal?
    Cheers
  • skithunoskithuno Posts: 74Member
    Are you sure you've selected the correct video card? When you start your mining window it should say.."Hawaii" in there somewhere. Hawaii, is the name of your card (see card names).
  • arcasterarcaster Boston, MAPosts: 4Member
    Currently trying to decide on a good AMD GPU, I was looking into an R9 290 or 290x, curious if their performance is that dated?

Looking into the above card list.
    R9 290 and the R9 290x are just fine and should be good for around 2+ years of mining w/ 4G of video card ram
    The performance pages for those items are dated, the R9 280 now clocks in at 20MH/s whereas two months ago it was pulling only 15MH/s. I picked up one of these and one R9 280x. I now have a 40MH/s rig.
  • arcasterarcaster Boston, MAPosts: 4Member
    I was previously running an R9 280x, it generally didn't produce more than 16MH/s. However, each of the R9 290's I've been running have been producing 25-26MH/s each.

Also, it might be a good idea to add a method for installing drivers on a headless system properly. I just used a method from the ocl-hashcat site. Worked just fine for Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS.
  • trontron Posts: 10Member
    I confirm R9 290x consistently on 25MH/s
  • DaveHDaveH Posts: 42Member
    Thanks for the guide and the ongoing help.

A couple of people in this thread are running multiple cards and might be able to help me out:

I've followed skithuno's guide and am now successfully mining with a single 290x at a consistent 25-26MH/s.

I've got second card - a 280x. Can I run mine with these cards both at the same time? If so, what alterations do I have to make to the process set out in the guide to get them both running?

Any and all help is much appreciated.
  • mcmike313mcmike313 Posts: 27Member
    I am having issues with the fglrx drivers on Ubuntu, when I install and do a restart I get a black screen/hangs on Ubuntu boot screen

I will try the nomodeset quiet splash or something like that to see how it goes tomorrow but hoping someone else has had this problem

Otherwise if I don't use the fglrx will I still be able to mine or better yet get gpu temp info while doing so?

any information will be greatly appreciated
    Dave, Yes you can mine with two cards. Start the lowest card first using "ethminer -G --opencl-device X" (where is is the number of your video card) and once that is correctly hashing, only then start "ethminer -G --opencl-device X+1" . I tried doing this the other way around, (starting X+1 before X, but I got a bus error and it crashed).
    Mcmike313, one problem you can have if you only have a single video card and you use the fglrx drivers is that you're effectively telling your video card not to behave like a video card. Thus, I'm not surprised you're having monitor issues. The hard fix (if you're a noob like me) is to ssh into the box, that way you don't have to use the video resources at all. Easier way, if you have an onboard video, is in the BIOS, there should be a selection to force the display to use the onboard video and avoid using the video card. Of course, make sure your monitor is plugged into the onboard video, and not the video card. I don't even want to think about the complexities of using onboard video and trying to channel it out via a monitor connected to the video card.
    so your saying that the fglrx driver is installed successfully but doesnt allow the monitor to work but i can push forward and continue with the ethereum installation and i should be able to mine via ssh?

im going to try rebuild ubuntu and install from ati website as ive been told that should work better but first ill try the nomodeset option but if all else fails and i can still mine via command line which i will use anyway then im not to worried ill let ya know how i get on when i get home
    @skithuno Thanks very much for your response. Forgive me but I want to ask a few stupid questions:

I plugged in the 280x beside the 290x and turned the PC on. I then opened a terminal for each card and ran "ethminer -G --opencl-device 0" in one which started the 290x mining; I then ran "ethminer -G --opencl-device 1" in the other which I *think* has started the 280x but I'm not entirely certain for the following reasons:

- the start up process for the second card indicated that it was starting a 'Hawaii' card (ie a 290X); a 280x is a 'Tahiti' card and it had been recognised as such when I began mining on my HDD with a single 280x before I switched to the current mining set up on an SSD so I expected it to say 'Tahiti';

- the hash rate on the second card is between 20-21MH/s which seems high compared to the 290x (25-26MH/s) and the hash rate I got out of the 280x when mining with it solo on the HDD (14-15MH/s)

Does this sound odd? Is there anyway I can confirm that the 280x is actually mining or is this second terminal showing me some kind of info about my 290x? Can I see the total hashing power of my set up somehow?

Should I have installed a separate driver for the 280x in the same way I did for the 290x following your guide? I tried but couldn't see anything to install in the Additional Drivers window.

I'm finding blocks and the PSU and GPU fans seem to be cranking so it appears to be working but the two reasons above (especially the system recognising the second card as a Hawaii) is nagging me.

Thanks again for your help.
  • akhanatonakhanaton Posts: 2Member
    My r9 280 Vapor X's are doing about 21 mh/s each, so that sounds about right.
    Wow really? Must have been a step up since the last update after I ran the 280x solo getting approx 14-15mh/s. So that's the hash discrepancy issue solved, it seems. Cheers for the heads-up.

But I'm still wondering why Ethminer is seeing what should be the 280x (Tahiti) as a Hawaii in the terminal when starting mining? Perhaps it's got something to do with having the 290x driver installed? I just slotted the card into the already-working 290x mining rig and didn't make any changes to the driver.

Well it seems to be working anyway - 14 blocks within the last two hours...
  • gcolbourngcolbourn Posts: 48Member
    I've got 2 R9 280Xs on my rig, but ethminer seems to be only using one of them, no mater what x I use in:

ethminer -M -G --opencl-device x

[even crazy values like x = 111].

Note that I haven't got time to sync the testnet again before launch of Frontier so am just trying to benchmark. Also as an aside, I'm only getting 12MH/s when before I was getting 20MH/s (with another 280X that blew up, I guess from overheating).

I'm not even sure whether Ubuntu itself is recognising both GPUs, even though they are both on. When I plugged the 2nd one in, it seems to default to using that one for the display (I swapped the display plug from the 1st to the 2nd GPU to get the display back).
    When I try running 2 instances of ethminer at once the hashrates are really low, indicating that it is probably trying to run both on 1 card.
    DaveH said:

Is there anyway I can confirm that the 280x is actually mining or is this second terminal showing me some kind of info about my 290x? Can I see the total hashing power of my set up somehow?

Should I have installed a separate driver for the 280x in the same way I did for the 290x following your guide? I tried but couldn't see anything to install in the Additional Drivers window.

@DaveH, If you have two terminals open and you're seeing MH/S working in both of them then you're successfully mining w/ both cards. I'm not sure why and in what order your cards will be assigned numbers, ie. why 290x would be #1 and not #0, or vice versa. I've no idea how ubuntu assigns this.

You don't have to install any extra drivers. Just have to select the drivers once when you install the first AMD card. Other than that, just rack in the new cards and you're good to go.

As a side note, I have not been able to get a system to work that contains both AMD and NVIDIA cards. Don't know why but every time I try to put an NVIDIA card in my mining system running with AMD cards, it just all locks up and it's not happy. I suggest picking one type of card and sticking with it.
    mcmike313 said:

so your saying that the fglrx driver is installed successfully but doesnt allow the monitor to work but i can push forward and continue with the ethereum installation and i should be able to mine via ssh?

@mcmike313 , this is exactly what I'm saying! SSH into that bad boy and you're ready to rock.
    @skithuno im having a number of problems outline in:
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/2527/problem-with-gpu-mining#latest

i read that this is a known problem with 14.04 and that i should try 15.X
    edited July 2015
    gcolbourn said:

When I try running 2 instances of ethminer at once the hashrates are really low, indicating that it is probably trying to run both on 1 card.

@gcolbourn , To tell you the truth, the benchmarking tool is a bit broken at the moment possibly fixed?. The only reliable benchmarking that I know of right now is mining on test net.

My own miners show all sorts of strange values when I benchmarked them, but the real mining rate is much higher than the benchmarking.
    Post edited by skithuno on
    Thanks for the reply @skithuno. I'm unlikely to sync with the test net again now before launch of Frontier, but mining does show some hashing, even though the blocks mined are "stale". The hashrates shown for this are still low for the cards though - around 7MH/s.
    @skithuno Thanks for the answers - after reading your responses and a few others I'm pretty sure they're both working! This and the guide have been invaluable - check the BTC address you've listed on your guide: I've bought you a beer!

Have you considered overclocking your cards for more hashes? Any thoughts? I haven't overclocked a gpu before and was looking into it.
    @DaveH , thanks for beer! Haven't thought about overclocking at all. I figure, these are heat sensitive components, anything you are going to gain in MH/S today you'll loose over the long term.

As a side comment, apparently there is some way to launch all your GPUs mining at the same time. I'll have to test this over the next few days and update the guide. Also, I plan on including detailed info on how to transition accounts from Olympic to frontier as well as how to actually start mining once Frontier launches on Thursday night.

Cheers.
    Thought I'd try the guide on the blog in the OP, but I'm stuck on getting cpp-ethereum to compile (see comments on blog). Anyone else got this working on Ubuntu 14.10. I'm loathe to start from a fresh install of Ubuntu, but it's looking like I might have to, as time is running out..
    @skithuno Mate, you're running an r9 280x aren't you? What's your hash rate on that now on real net - it looks like mine is mining the same MH/s as my 290x. Both around 25MH/s.

I started the two windows up the same as before - thought they were showing me the exact same info but as hashing continues on a block the individual hash rate in each window diverges. But very very similar...
    @DaveH, yeahit's strange, my hash rates are waaay up, I've an R9 280 and a 280x. I'm getting 22.9MH/s and 24.3MH/s respectively. These cards are now OP i'm guessing compared to the R9 290 and 290x.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Posts: 1,213Member, Moderator mod
    My hash is also way up on the live network. On the official ethminer my 750 + 750 Ti were only mining at 9, now at 15 but on @Genoil's CUDA miner only get 12.
  • T1mm3hT1mm3h Posts: 6Member
    When following this guide I get an error doing the "make -j2" step with two errors at 11%.
    Is there anyone else that had this problem AND solved it?

Feeling really n00b'y here as I can't even follow th n00bz guide...
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Posts: 1,213Member, Moderator mod
    @T1mm3h, Can you post the build log?