Installing ethminer

o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
running up a Linux box....how do I actually install ethminer? I thought it was in the cpp-ethereum package?

Comments

• GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    git clone https://github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum
    cd cpp-ethereum
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DBUNDLE=miner ..
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Thx @Genoil...
    Got it sorted with info from the Frontier guide.
    cd cpp-ethereum
    cmake -DETHASHCL=1 -DGUI=0
    make -j4
    make install
  • jzenjzen Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2015
    If only ethminer is needed from cpp-ethereum, it's much quicker in terms of build time, to build only ethminer:

cd cpp-ethereum
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake .. -DETHASHCL=1 -DGUI=0
    cd ethminer
    make
    Thanks jzen. Nice that after all these years of hanging around the fringes of Linux, I'm finally getting over my intimidation of compiling source. :)

Works also also using -DBUNDLE=miner
    OK so I'm finally mining on Ubuntu with my GTX 750 which benchmarks at 6.9MHs but only reports mining at 2.6 at most...

running Ubuntu 14.04, geth v0.9.32 and ethminer 0.9.27

Any clues as to why the mining isn't living up to expectations?
    Can someone hand me ethminer.exe please.... I'm having a crap of a time trying to compile on Windows 7.

Cheers.
    @o0ragman0o my CUDA miner is ready for production, mined ~40 blocks in 3 hours last week. I'll cook one exe for you later when I'm near a PC with the dev environment set up. Should be able to hash at almost 8MH/s

but what problems do you have compilinh?
    Thanks Genoil.

Problems mainly trying to get my toolchain straightened and cpp-ethereum build steps breaking... getstuff.bat completely failed. Couldn't work out why so manually downloaded dep packages and run the commands as seen in getstuff.bat on each package. Something wacked out with the QT download and I canceled it after it's clocked up 3Gb (of only an ~800mb package). I figured I don't need it anyway using the -DGUI=0 switch.

I did get a build eventually but then ethminer.exe said i didn't have a GPU and that's with -DETHASHCL=1. So after mashing through it all day I've kind of given up for now and flipped back around to Linux.... But it's still only reporting 2.6MHs mining.... :(

I've built your ethminer now on Ubuntu 14.04, I have cuda meta-package installed but it's not detecting my 750 with -U at all and -G returns 0Mhs on benchmark... :(
    edited June 2015
    The current dev isn't very stable opencl wise. They're trying lots of of new fancy things. My systems also don't like it (crashes).

Regarding running the CUDA miner on Linux. I've only tried that on Amazon EC2, wasn't easy to get running to be honest. And once it ran, for some reason it took a while to actually start giving back results over 0MH/s.

When it doesn't detect CUDA at all, please make sure to compile with -DETHASHCU=1. If you did that. alos make sure you can actually run CUDA things by compiling the deviceQuery CUDA example.

Anyway attached is my latest CUDA miner. It's a little experiment in getting better thread occupancy. Works fine on my GTX780 (Kepler), your GTX750 (Maxwell) might not like the numbers I used (min 8 concurrent thread blocks per SM, max 128 threads/block). Launch with -U -M (and optionally --gpu-workgroup-size 128)
    Thanks again Genoil, but it's not working at all.... returning 0MHs on -U and -G and for CPU on a benchmark. Haven't got a synch'ed chain ATM so don't know if it mines but it doesn't look good....

On the lighter side....kind of say's I wasn't doing anything wrong in trying to compile yesterday...
  • jesus666jesus666 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    try the PPA instructions from https://github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum/wiki/Installing-clients

then `sudo apt-get install ethminer`

worked for me on 14.04
  • timstims Member Posts: 21
    'cmake' is failing...

[email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum$ cmake -DETHASHCL=1 -DGUI=0
    -- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.9.2
    -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.9.2
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    -- ctest path: /usr/bin/ctest
    -- Found CryptoPP: /usr/include (found suitable exact version "5.6.2")
    - CryptoPP header: /usr/include
    - CryptoPP lib : /usr/lib/libcryptopp.so
    -- Found leveldb: /usr/include
    - LevelDB header: /usr/include
    - LevelDB lib: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libleveldb.so
    -- Could NOT find rocksdb (missing: ROCKSDB_INCLUDE_DIR ROCKSDB_LIBRARY)
    CMake Error at cmake/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:138 (message):
    Could NOT find v8 (missing: V8_INCLUDE_DIR V8_LIBRARY)
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
    cmake/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:374 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
    cmake/Findv8.cmake:66 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
    cmake/EthDependencies.cmake:59 (find_package)
    CMakeLists.txt:304 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Any help would by much appreciated!
  • timstims Member Posts: 21
    Think i solved it by installing "libv8-dev" (sudo apt-get install libv8-dev)