wallet file to private key

can someone please tell me how to extract the private key from a ether account file. It will be awesome if you can show me a code block. Thanks in advance

Comments

• jesus666jesus666 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Considering you've not posted which client you're using or what OS you're on, I'll explain how to do it on OSX with Geth:

Your keys are located inside your ~/Library/Ethereum/keystore - you can inspect these files. They contain your private key along with some other cryptographic shizzle, encrypted with your password.

You might find this useful too:
    http://ethereum.gitbooks.io/frontier-guide/content/backup_restore.html
  • kvhnukekvhnuke Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    yea the problem is that file contains the encrypted private key, I am trying to figure out the way to decrypt it (i do have the password)
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited July 2015
    @kvhnuke Geth is designed to prevent you from extracting the (unencrypted) private keys, and never exposes them to the user. The idea is that this will remove the risk of leaving the keys on a USB stick for example.
  • tokeweedtokeweed Member Posts: 42

@kvhnuke Geth is designed to prevent you from extracting the (unencrypted) private keys, and never exposes them to the user. The idea is that this will remove the risk of leaving the keys on a USB stick for example.

No wonder I can't find them. :)

Does the cpp impelentation show you your unencrypted private keys?
  • supertylersupertyler Member Posts: 15
    I appreciate geth is designed to prevent this, but if we assume there are legitimate scenarios in which this is necessary (e.g. to create signed messages from another client), is there a way to do it?
  • nathansonicnathansonic Member Posts: 1
    Might be a little late on this, but if you go to myetherwallet.com, load up your keystore file and put in the password you will be able to see your private unencrypted key.

Be careful where you copy it.
  • f1nimf1nim Member Posts: 1

Might be a little late on this, but if you go to myetherwallet.com, load up your keystore file and put in the password you will be able to see your private unencrypted key.

Be careful where you copy it.

Thanks nathan, you saved me!! lol
  • gxugxu Member Posts: 18
    What if I don't want to upload my wallet file and type in my password for security reasons? Is there any offline utility to do that?