Ethereum mining pool?

celticwarrior72celticwarrior72 Member Posts: 83
Have any mining pools for Ethereum appeared?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Yes, the network as a whole :) Short block times and GHOST utilization mean that the optimal pool size is so small it's not worth setting one up, as superlinear gains cannot be achieved.

It's unlikely that we'll see pools for a while, if at all.
  • celticwarrior72celticwarrior72 Member Posts: 83
  • mcmike313mcmike313 Member Posts: 27
    @StephanTual, what about a user who is mining on CPU and only wants to run it for an hour to get some WEI? it should be possible for someone to join a pool as they might not mine a block for over 24 hours?
    @mcmike313 : we had indeed talked about something like this internally a long time ago, in particular with regards to Mist and 'priming the pump' for users to have enough to call a few contracts without having to purchase ether from 3rd parties.

It's a nice idea in theory, but that said, the optimal size even for a theoretical pool is so small it likely won't be worth it - especially on CPUs where users will have to wait an unacceptably long time in a GPU-dominated PoW model.
    @StephanTual what would the rough optimal size be as an example?
    if i had say a 7mhs gpu and some older cpu's would it not be possible to merge the gpu with the extra cpu's to give a small percentage of a payout from my total hash rate to those smaller devices?
    i also think this would be a good way of introducing people to ethereum by allowing them to mine ether(wei) only after an hour of mining off a +2 year cpu?
    sorry to hassle you but i have alot of mates that dont have gpu rigs that would like to get exposure to ether from the get go and to tell them that they may not mine a block for several day and even some unlucky people may never mine one
    @mcmike313 - the optimal size is not known as pooling software was never written (and likely won't be for a while, for the reasons I explain above). You shouldn't rely on CPU for mining, period.
    bump, i think this needs to be looked at again. any kind of opensource pool software would be great to see a guide for
  • afoguafogu Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    yes, @mcmike313 ,
    whats the deal with this address?

0xe6a7a1d47ff21b6321162aea7c6cb457d5476bca

finding 1/3 of all blocks at the moment. Must be some sort of
    pool, right?
  • jagagnejagagne Member Posts: 12
    yes, that account is a pool, ethpool.org
    yeah they are currently not accepting new miners to the pool, i have a number of friends who only have a few mh's which equals to several days with nothing, i would happily switch on my smaller rigs if there was a pool i could use even if its only a private one an di can leave the ddos issues to someone else but something should come out about ways to set this up