CUDA miner

Comments

• robinminerrobinminer ParisMember Posts: 38
    I am interested in trying to use my Macbook Prod to mine some extra Ether during night. It has an inbuilt 3Gb Nvidia graphic card. It is quite good... but I had no success mining. I guess it's because it is an Nvidia. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, please... let me know.
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    edited April 2016

I am interested in trying to use my Macbook Prod to mine some extra Ether during night. It has an inbuilt 3Gb Nvidia graphic card. It is quite good... but I had no success mining. I guess it's because it is an Nvidia. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, please... let me know.

How are you mining (pool?) and what is your hashrate?
    Post edited by rether on
  • CybullCybull Member Posts: 17
    @Genoil I was wondering if you know that all of a sudden my hashrate would skip around like this (win 7 gtx770)

21:23:51|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 18517898 H/s = 8388608 hashes / 0.453 s
    21:23:51|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 13981013 H/s = 6291456 hashes / 0.45 s
    21:23:51|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 18600017 H/s = 8388608 hashes / 0.451 s
    21:23:52|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 13950013 H/s = 6291456 hashes / 0.451 s
    21:23:52|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 14043428 H/s = 6291456 hashes / 0.448 s
    21:23:53|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 18682868 H/s = 8388608 hashes / 0.449 s
    21:23:53|main Mining on PoWhash #0b3f7ad9тАж : 13797052 H/s = 6291456 hashes / 0.456 s
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Cybull Notice the 2 hash totals 8388608 hashes and 6291456 hashes. You evidenly have a total worksize of 2097152 or 256*8192 or 32768*64. In 500ms, your GPU sometimes finishes 3 work units, and sometimes 4.

Real story: the way hashrate is calculated in ethminer is terrible, as it is "how many hashes finished in x time" instead of a rolling calculation based on kernel runtime.
  • BeneKikiBeneKiki Member Posts: 17
    Was anyone able to build linux executable for Genonil version, which supports stratum minig without proxy?
    hi @rether... I tried both. Solo... and than I decided to try pool, just to get faster results.. but my screen is still full of errors.

and

My macbook has a 3Gb graphci card. So... I shouldn't be getting the "can't allocate the DAG message" for example.

• jkocjanjkocjan Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to optimise my ETH mining the genoil 1.0.6 CUDA miner to mine with my GTX960. I'm getting 8-12MH/s with it. The regular miner release 0.9.41 gets me a steady 10MH/s. I'm on Windows 7 and I haven't got the admin rights to put my card into P0 state unfortunately.

I mine using dwarfpool (I know I should mine somewhere else due to centralisation, but dwarfpool has worked pretty well for me so far and I haven't taken the time to test anything else yet), I use the following command to run my miner: ethminer -G -F http://eth-eu.dwarfpool.com/YOUR_WALLET/YOUR_WORKER/EMAIL

Could someone be bothered to write down a more efficient command to run the genoil miner with. I would love to understand the extended commands you guys use, but can not seem to get my head around them.
    @jkocjan if you haven't taken the minimal effort to mine somewhere other then dwarfpool, optimizing seems like a small concern and may be too much effort for you.
  • cl4ud1ucl4ud1u Member Posts: 9
    benmanf said:

Hey everyone, i'm new here and to mining in general...

I'm a Windows 10 + GTX 970 owner just like some of you guys, and as we know, the only workaround today for a reasonable hash rate is to use the 347.52 driver.

I had some trouble with overclocking my card using 347.52,
    So I found a way that gives me the option to use nvidia-smi to switch my GPU to P0 state (couldn't do it with the 347 driver).

For this I'm using a newer driver which is 350.12
    (Which was also mentioned here in the forum).
    And apparently 350.12 does support nvidia-smi!

Here's a short guide, which is a collection of the things I read in this forum topic and across the web:

1. Uninstall all your other NVIDIA display drivers, so windows wont choose those instead.
    2. Download v350.12 Geforce 350.12 Driver
    3. Install the driver the usual way.
    4. Make sure to disable Windows 10 annoying auto driver update functionality or else it will eventually update this driver to a newer version. I followed this guide and used the Registry workaround: Take Back Control Over Driver Updates in Windows 10
    5. you can now use nvidia-smi to switch to P-State P0 to gain maximum overclock capability. I followed this guide: How to Squeeze Some Extra Performance Mining Ethereum on Nvidia
    6. Use your overclocking tool to increase your GPU memory clock (which wasn't really possible with P2 state). I use NvidiaInspector so I can change my clock using a batch file.
    7. Use Genoil's ethminer compiled with CUDA 6.5. I use version 1.0.5 which I found here in the forum, didn't have the patience to compile one by myself ;)
    ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.5-cuda6.5.zip, credits to Mo35 for compiling
    8. Start mining as you would normally do!

Note that steps 5-8 will be required after every system restart.

I'm running my GTX 970 at a consistent 19-20MH/s, in Windows 10 (vs. 16.5 without the nvidia-smi trick) :)
    card is at 82% power, temperatures are not bad, 65C with fan at 33% (EVGA 970 SSC), I can push it much further but wouldn't want to shorten it's life too much.

GTX 970

Hope this helps!

The downlaod link is not working. Where can i get the ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.5-cuda6.5.zip ?
  • cflushcflush Member Posts: 24
    @cflush use genoil's github. All the genoil ethminer releases are there.
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    No CUDA 6.5 binaries there @work . With a fair chance of CUDA 8.0 being announced this week, I don't feel like goung back, even if it doesn't do much good for ethminer :)
    @genoil ahhh, gotcha. Too many damn CUDA versions if you ask me.
  • PepitaJoePepitaJoe Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if I'm OT. I'm tring to mine Eth with 4 GTX750ti and OS ubuntu 15.10.
    Can I use ethminer? Where can I get it?

Thanks for help.
    @Genoil So different Cuda driver / toolkit version can affect building? I am currently trying to build for OSX and I get an with the Cuda libraries. Maybe the problem is that I am trying on a different version of Cuda Toolkit? Do you have any compiled version for OSX? If not, are you willing to help me doing so? Regards..
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    Hello guys how I can stop the auto update on nvidia drivers?
    @robinminer each CUDA toolkit has a minimum required runtime driver version. So for the folks that want to use 350.12 drivers to get full speed in Win10, they need a CUDA 6.5 build.

I don't have experiencen nor access to OSX to prepare CUDa builds. I hope to get OpenCL speeds on par with CUDA (still .5MH short) so you don't have to compile with CUDA any longer. That said, i don't know much about the specifics of OpenCL drivers on OSX. Apparently Apple creates those themselves, causing at least shitty performance on AMD/Apple combo's.
  • cl4ud1ucl4ud1u Member Posts: 9
    cflush said:

@benmanf @Mo35

Link to http://wikisend.com/download/188628/ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.5-cuda6.5.zip is broken :/

Can anyone provide a working link please???

Thanks

can someone re-upload it, please ?

• jkocjanjkocjan Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    work said:

@jkocjan if you haven't taken the minimal effort to mine somewhere other then dwarfpool, optimizing seems like a small concern and may be too much effort for you.

Humor me will you please? I would genuinely like to learn more, improve and I find mining and Ethereum in general fascinating.
    Edit. PS. The reason I stayed with dwarfpool for the past two weeks is because I was so happy that I have finally earned my first three Ethers after 3 whole weeks of no luck on solo mining - come on, give a young grasshoper a break.
  • chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 131 ✭✭
    jkocjan? 3 weeks for 3 ethers..? Thats no a healthful speed! Whats your M/h rate? Using pools like dwarfpool maybe the best option for you. But with such a long time, this not really profitable. Increase your M/h rate, with more or better GPU's.
    @Genoil Thanks a lot for your answer. I am currently using your Ethminer version on Windows too. Because it allows me to set different DAG folder and have different cards to mine in different pools. With MacOSx I am still struggling to build it. If you need access to a mac, I can let you use mine throught TeamViewer for a couple of minutes of hours. I think it is probably something silly that needs to be done for the build to work. But I have no experience in programming for that.
    chrizzo said:

jkocjan? 3 weeks for 3 ethers..? Thats no a healthful speed! Whats your M/h rate? Using pools like dwarfpool maybe the best option for you. But with such a long time, this not really profitable. Increase your M/h rate, with more or better GPU's.

I think you misread; he said that he solo mined for 3 weeks and didn't hit a block, then switched to dwarf pool and earned 3 eth in a short period.
  • furionlovefurionlove Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2016
    Does this miner support Vardiff, and if so, is it enabled by default?
    @furionlove it supports different difficulty per work-package, yes. Vardiff is mainly a pool feature.
  • miningpoolhubminingpoolhub Member Posts: 308 ✭✭
    @Genoil

Hi
    Thank you for your great ethminer work.

Can you add some kind of no-connection-retry option?
    When pool disconnects the ethminer, ethminer quits process itself.
    No failover, just one try and quit if fails.

This kind of option is implemented in ccminer for multi-algo switching purpose.
    We are running multi-algo pool but can't make it work if any ethereum miner supports this kind of option.

Thanks.
    @miningpoolhub multi-algo with ethereum would be very boss. If genoil doesn't get to it this week, I'll see if I can make a quick patch for that.
  • miningpoolhubminingpoolhub Member Posts: 308 ✭✭
    work said:

@miningpoolhub multi-algo with ethereum would be very boss. If genoil doesn't get to it this week, I'll see if I can make a quick patch for that.

@work
    Great!
    Something along the line of -FF exit --failover-retries 1 would be nice. I'll see what I can do, otherwise thanks @work, awaiting PR :wink:
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭

@Genoil

Hi
    Thank you for your great ethminer work.

Can you add some kind of no-connection-retry option?
    When pool disconnects the ethminer, ethminer quits process itself.
    No failover, just one try and quit if fails.

This kind of option is implemented in ccminer for multi-algo switching purpose.
    We are running multi-algo pool but can't make it work if any ethereum miner supports this kind of option.

Thanks.

Yes, this would be very helpful!
    edited April 2016
    I pushed a few commits to the "107" branch, including the option to immediately bail after a lost connection, thx @miningpoolhub fro the suggestion. Only works on getwork protocol for now.

Add -FF exit --failover-retries 0 to command line options to achieve this.

Additionally there's the OpenCL tweaks for NVidia cards that I was talking about earlier. This is useful for Nvidia people on Linux/OSX that have trouble compiling the cudaminer. With this change, OpenCL on NVidia is almost as fast as CUDA. Will try to get it just as fast. Not faster ;)

Not releasing binaries of this yet. Still want to add failover support for stratum add apply a fix that some guy on bitcointalk gave to possibly improve stability of the stratum client. Will hopefully get to that tomorrow.