CUDA miner

Comments

• GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    @kenshirothefist the OpenCL code in the main branch and releases is unchanged, so it should perform similarly. As far as I know, it's ETH:DEV who are the primary maintainers. I'm not aware of any (optimized) forks or people that activiely distribute binaries.

I have just added the latest release binary (Win64) to my repo:

https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/tree/cudaminer-frontier/releases

I have tested it with CUDA and OpenCL on a GTX780 against nanopool and have confirmed that both submit valid shares.
  • kenshirothefistkenshirothefist Member Posts: 73
    Genoil said:

@kenshirothefist the OpenCL code in the main branch and releases is unchanged, so it should perform similarly. As far as I know, it's ETH:DEV who are the primary maintainers. I'm not aware of any (optimized) forks or people that activiely distribute binaries.

I have just added the latest release binary (Win64) to my repo:

https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/tree/cudaminer-frontier/releases

I have tested it with CUDA and OpenCL on a GTX780 against nanopool and have confirmed that both submit valid shares.

Works great, thanks! Just tested with AMD 280x as well as GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980. Also benchmarking and running per specific CUDA device works as expected. Thanks, @Genoil!
  • Mashugina71Mashugina71 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Hi. I have compiled everything according to phantoms guide. Running on Ubuntu 14.04, had no errors during compiling but when I try to mine I get

miner 11:45:49|ethminer Getting work package...
    ✘ 11:45:50|ethminer Failed to submit hashrate.
    ✘ 11:45:50|ethminer Dynamic exception type: jsonrpc::JsonRpcException
    std::exception::what: Exception -32603 : INTERNAL_ERROR: : 404 page not found

My command line
    ./ethminer -U -F http://eth-mine.suprnova.cc:3000/userinfohere --cuda-devices 0 1

Both of my cards are recognized and I have followed some tips to try and fix error that i found in other posts on this sight. I don't have geth installed as I mine on pools and read it was not necessary for pool mining. Is that correct?

I am a recent convert so my linux knowledge is still in its infancy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    @Genoil

About the different versions of your miner.

I have one installed on Ubuntu. It's the version that works with --gpu-devices. Since this version has 100% CPU load I installed another one now (in another directory). This version works with --cuda-devices and has 0% CPU load.

The problem is that hash for first version (for my rig) is 82 Mh/s and for the second version is 75 Mh/s.

Is there a possibility to have full hash but with 0% CPU?

Thank you!
  • Sterkey25Sterkey25 Member Posts: 8
    So I have got this working on Linux mint twice before and im trying to do it again and it is just giving me problems. Can someone who has recently done this, pull all of the install info together from the various pages and create an updated install guide for Ubuntu? Each recommendation seems to introduce a new problem.
    So reinstalled ubuntu and started from scratch. NO issues till I try to run.

JSON-RPC problem. Probably couldn't connect. Retrying in 1...
    miner 17:12:51|ethminer Getting work package...
    ✘ 17:12:51|ethminer Failed to submit hashrate.
    ✘ 17:12:51|ethminer Dynamic exception type: jsonrpc::JsonRpcException
    std::exception::what: Exception -32003 : Client connector error: libcurl error: 52

Different error than previous install.
  • 4gun4gun Member Posts: 16
    I have 970s in my win7 rig - what would be the command to start mining:
    ethminer -U -F "pool" ? or is it with a -G?
    Hashrate for 970 anybody?
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    @4gun
    At the moment my stock 970 is giving me 17.9Mhs

ethminer -U -F "poolURL" would be fine.
    So I finally got the latest version to install and run. while looking through the posts I noticed you said its submitting to ethpool but mine is not for some reason. Is there something else I need to do differently? I used the guides that are posted on here and they worked fine before. My hashrate is being reported as null.
  • 4gun4gun Member Posts: 16
    Sterkey25 said:

So I finally got the latest version to install and run. while looking through the posts I noticed you said its submitting to ethpool but mine is not for some reason. Is there something else I need to do differently? I used the guides that are posted on here and they worked fine before. My hashrate is being reported as null.

Try deleting dag files and generate them again. That worked for me when I had the same issue.
    @crsminer look in the --help for different options of --cuda-schedule. Different options will give you different CPU usage and hashrate combo's. But generally speaking, you will see tandems of low CPU and lower hashrate.

@Mashugina71 The error you posted tells me that your pool server doesn't respond. Try a different pool maybe?
  • grimlergrimler Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    new dag file generated ... (deleted all old ones)

still not submitting shares :/

ethminer.exe --cuda-devices 0 1 2 3 --cuda-grid-size 8192 --cuda-block-size 128 --cuda-schedule sync -U -F http://80-eth.suprnova.cc:80/GrimVandal.eth970/30

4x 970 at ~70 mhash/s

(also tried dwarf pool, no shares as well)
    @grimler I'm not sure what's going wrogn at your end. I tried on suprnova and it ran fine (single GTX780). Try to mine with just 1 card, ditch the grid / block / schedule params, see if it makes a difference.
  • mgmmgm Member Posts: 7
    I've tried both the CUDA miner from @Genoil GitHub and the standard Etherium from the Windows installer and I'm getting odd behavior. ethminer -M reports a benchmark of about 17 MH/s on my GTX 970, but when actually mining against a pool I only get about 7.7 MH/s. Same behavior on both the Cuda client from this thread and the standard (C++?) one.

Windows 10. GTX 970. Am using ethereumpool.co if that makes a difference. Any ideas? I'm thinking to try Ubuntu on a USB stick just to see if it's Windows, but the 970 benches around 17 MH/s which is what everyone else seems to be getting, so in theory things can run that fast with whatever Windows drivers I have.
    @mgm use Windows 7. Win 8/10 and Ethminer on nvidia is a bad combo.
    This is just for an experiment really, I'll probably try Ubuntu on a USB stick since this is my general purpose rig and I don't want to downgrade to Windows 7. Thanks for the info!
    So I attached the guide that I used to get the miner up and running. LIke I said before it does start to work but doesn't submit any shares. I might be getting the wrong version or something so if someone could take a look at the guide I followed and let me know if there are any fixes I would appreciate it. I am trying this on Linux Mint right now.
  • cointersectcointersect Member Posts: 5
    hello all.. I am having issues with nvidia. I am running win7 and my GPU's are mining just fine on my end although the pool does not see them. All my AMD cards work fine but my 960's and 980's are not seen poolside. I am using Crypto-Mining Blog's compilation. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Sterkey25 said:

So I attached the guide that I used to get the miner up and running. LIke I said before it does start to work but doesn't submit any shares. I might be getting the wrong version or something so if someone could take a look at the guide I followed and let me know if there are any fixes I would appreciate it. I am trying this on Linux Mint right now.

You should put the guide somewhere else. In something that can't contain a virus. Pretty suspect.
    edited January 2016
    It's a word document file and you can scan it first if you think it's a virus. I'm trying to get help not infect someone's computer. But here's the guide.

Install Ethminer on Ubuntu
    1. Install Nvidia Driver & CUDA 7.5
    Upgrade/install the nvidia 352 driver from driver manager
    Download and use package manager to install cuda from nvidia website
    reboot
    2. Install the latest version of cmake
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:george-edison55/cmake-3.x
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cmake
    3. Install Ethereum
    sudo apt-get -y install language-pack-en-base
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
    sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
    wget -O - http://llvm.org/apt/llvm-snapshot.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://llvm.org/apt/trusty/ llvm-toolchain-trusty main"
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum-qt
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum
    sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ethereum/ethereum-dev
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    4. Install develop package
    sudo apt-get -y install cpp-ethereum screen cuda build-essential git cmake libboost-all-dev libgmp-dev libleveldb-dev libminiupnpc-dev libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libcryptopp-dev libjson-rpc-cpp-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libjsoncpp-dev libargtable2-dev llvm-3.8-dev libedit-dev mesa-common-dev ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers libgoogle-perftools-dev qtbase5-dev qt5-default qtdeclarative5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev libqt5webengine5-dev ocl-icd-dev libv8-dev

Now, you’re ready for building your owner Ethminer.
    1. Get the source:
    Command line: git clone https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum (Default: cudaminer-frontier branch now)
    Or you can download a ZIP file directly at https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum, then Extract the source into Home folder.
    Note: cudaminer-frontier requires 8Gb Ram to build ethminer.
    2. Build Ethminer:
    cmake -DBUNDLE=cudaminer (optionally add -DCOMPUTE=50 for GTX750Ti-only rig)
    Note: if you get any error at this step, you can try to remove “-Werror”
    cd cpp-ethereum
    gedit cmake/EthCompilerSettings.cmake
    Remove "-Werror" around line 5, then SAVE.
    make –j4
    reboot
    3. RUN:
    sudo –s
    cd cpp-ethereum/ethminer/
    ./ethminer –U –F http://xxx –cuda-devices 0 1…

edited January 2016
    @cointersect and everybody else having issues.

Try the simulation mode first (-S flag instead of -F). You should be able to get to a difficulty of 30 (1<<30) reasonably fast. If it sticks at 20 or only makes it until about 25, the algo is most likely broken for Maxwell 5.2 (which I don't have). If it does get to 30, I at least know the problem is in the cpp code and not cuda. (oh and don't paste logs here, just read what diff it is hashing at)

Then you may also try to use OpenCL instead of CUDA (-G -F ...). If that works, there is a problem in the cudaminer cpp code but not in the opencl miner and aux code.

Thanks! I want to resolve this but I'm not going to buy a Maxwell 5.2 card just to have you make money ;)

@kenshirothefist however seems to be able to hash fine using CUDA with the github release and 9x0 cards.
  • grimlergrimler Member Posts: 12
    @ Genoil

about the 970 no share issue

-G
    tells me not enough gpu memory (so opencl doesn't work for my 970)
    (even with setting all the global amd variables which shouldn't do anything for 970 anyway)

with ONLY
    ethminer.exe -U -S

1x 970
    hashing @ 15.5 mhash/sec on difficulty 20

edited January 2016
    grimler said:

@ Genoil

-G
    (even with setting all the global amd variables which shouldn't do anything for 970 anyway)

with ONLY
    ethminer.exe -U -S

1x 970
    hashing @ 15.5 mhash/sec on difficulty 20

Try restarting and then running the miner again. Mine gave me that error, I think the memory doesn't clear right when you try starting and stopping the miner a couple of times.

And my 970s won't go past 20 either so it looks like it's just not working now.
    edited January 2016
    grimler said:

@ Genoil
    -G

I needed --opencl-platform 1 to get my 970 working with Windows 10.

edited January 2016

hello all.. I am having issues with nvidia. I am running win7 and my GPU's are mining just fine on my end although the pool does not see them. All my AMD cards work fine but my 960's and 980's are not seen poolside. I am using Crypto-Mining Blog's compilation. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Having the same issue. 2 GTX 960. Run on opencl no issues, run on cuda and pools don't see them. Running on Ubuntu14.04 with genoils github miner. Perplexing :s
    grimler said:

@ Genoil

-G

I've noticed the memory doesn't always clear right away and sometimes not at all. pkill stops my miners but memory only clears sometimes, other time have to reboot the system
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2016
    @Genoil

Hi Genoil,

This is a small contribution from me to your work on ethminer --- 0xc3e7bda79b60fb4f34fbe467a8c3c3084e9008bbdc9014d8ade8e8c22cd1352a

I am using your miner and making some ETH and I thought that you deserve part of it.

Keep up the good work!
  • seifer48seifer48 Member Posts: 14
    syaoran99 said:

@4gun

What on earth are you doing to get that hashrate from a 970? I have mine OC'd to 1598MHz and it will only get 8.2-8.6Max, unless benching. While benching it gives the same hash as you.
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    seifer48 said:

syaoran99 said:

@4gun

What on earth are you doing to get that hashrate from a 970? I have mine OC'd to 1598MHz and it will only get 8.2-8.6Max, unless benching. While benching it gives the same hash as you.
    That is the expected normal hashrate from everyone using 970. I used to be getting around your speed too. But then I switched to Windows 7 upon Genoil's advice and now i'm getting the 17.9 hashrate
  • seifer48seifer48 Member Posts: 14
    @syaoran99 Oh, ok. Thanks! Guess its a dual boot setup for me then. Odd limitation of Windows 10....