coinbase password

urubuurubu Member Posts: 19
Is there a default password that may have been saved from an earlier client that I messed around with a few weeks ago? (I installed the cpp and the go clients 8.6, i think)

Today, I installed the latest updated version, but when I started mining, I was not prompted for a password. I have mined 30 or so ether with the mist gui and then with the geth console(on ubuntu), but I can't seem to unlock them now. Should I erase these wallets and start all over? Is there a length of time before a block matures so you can spend your mining rewards?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @urubu,

"Is there a default password that may have been saved from an earlier client"- No
    "Is there a length of time before a block matures so you can spend your mining rewards?" - No

It's likely you were just using a different protocol version at the time, so your wallet wouldn't be recognized on the newer testnet.

Don't worry, none of the Ether on the testnet has value. Recreate a new account and you should be good to go!
  • urubuurubu Member Posts: 19
    Thanks. How can I erase the old account?
    I figured it out. Delete keys in the ".ethereum/keys folder.
  • Michael_AMichael_A LondonMember Posts: 61
    @ I have upgrade the go software to 9.2
    I'm trying to creating an account by importing a private key and after filed the password I have this as a result:
    Fatal: Could not create the account: encoding/hex: invalid byte: U+007B '{'
    Fatal: Could not create the account: encoding/hex: invalid byte: U+007B '{'
    Do you know what does it mean?
  • ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    @Michael_A - find any resolution to this?
  • Michael_AMichael_A LondonMember Posts: 61
    no I gave up
    It was a test account....however do you have any idea how to re-download the test blockchain?
    I removed the old one in order to make the most space for Frontier 1.0 but I just read you need to transfer your ether from your test-net into the live-net..it is possible to do it with Alethzero ?
    there was a gethkey program that fixed early olympic wallets for use later. I had to use it for one wallet that I used at the beginning of olympic.