Suitable HW for mining

fflffl Member Posts: 19
Any more information about what kind of HW would be suitable for mining? Thoughts on bottlenecks?

Comments

• fflffl Member Posts: 19
    This was initially a misfire from a total newbie. I managed to miss the entire mining section.

However, while I am here. Does anyone have any thoughts about running ethereum on this little fella?

http://www.parallella.org/board/
  • Maren85Maren85 Member Posts: 41
    If you've read the other threads etc on mining you'll see it's all up in the air right now, the writeups and guides are still being done and a lot of information will be gathered during the Frontier(dev) launch which should be anytime now as long as the Go team get finished soon.

There are some things better than others, from what I've read you need at least 2gig of decent RAM to be in the game. The GPU mining writeups are being done and it's already been added to the CPP program, I assume the others will be the same.

I read somewhere that the last generation of graphics cards are the most efficient and AMD over Nvidia as they have the better OpenCL drivers and optimizations.

I'm sure there will be plenty of official guides and comparisons done in time but don't forget it's no where near launch yet.

Hopefully frontier all goes smoothly without any major hiccups and us lowly users be using Ethereum pretty soon!

I've been following it for about a year and I seemed to have ages a decade in that time waiting for it, I wonder what the devs feel like!
  • ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Read the end of this thread - https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/2036/gpu-mining-software-nvidia-amd#latest

Just my unscientific research, but looks like AMD's openCL implementation is better hash per dollar.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    ... assuming OCL is the only game in town - A CUDA version would change things quite dramatically. But yes, for the time being, AMD is better bang for the buck on the early benchmarks.
  • ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Thanks so much @StephanTual for popping in and giving input to this thread.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited April 2015
    @ConradJohnson - If it helps, it's also safe to say that Ethhash - as it stands today - scales proportionally to the GPU memory bandwidth. So since the brand (AMD), price, TDP, and memory bandwidth are all known, it is easy to derive what's 'best bang for the buck' both short and long term.

Again, this can of course change on short notice - the GPU miner is currently an alpha within a client that itself won't be the Frontier client - so be very careful and certainly don't spend all your family's savings :)
  • fflffl Member Posts: 19
    Thx to all. There was some talk a while ago about 4gb ram being required to mine. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

And if so, would it make sense to get a second Radeon 5970 running crossfire to get 2+2=4gb of gddr5?
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    @ffl check the NVidia/AMD thread for ongoing updates on GPU mining. For now a 2GB card is enough. Should Ethereum stay proof-of-work based (which is not the intention), then at some point 3GB,4GB, etc is required.Two cards won't give you double the RAM, instead double the hash rate.
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    @ffl and @Genoil I don't think a 3gb or 4gb card would ever be required, you should be able to mine with a 2gb card just not nearly as well as one with more memory. As @StephanTual said above it just scales proportionately.

If you're referring to 4gb of system memory, then in my experience that could make a difference depending on how ethash works. With some algos (scrypt-n, scrypt-jane), when you start mining, system ram is filled then it is unloaded into the memory of the cards. I think with ethash this is called the dag, could be wrong about that. Anyway you have to have enough system ram to fill the cards memory or some cards won't start. This is really only a problem when you mine with more than 4 cards on one computer and to a certain extent using windows vs linux. In general windows requires more system ram in multi-gpu setups (for certain algos) but every system is unique. Keep an eye on the thread @Genoil mentioned, he and @ConradJohnson are working on this situation.

One last thing, you shouldn't use crossfire when mining.
  • LarsPensjoLarsPensjo SwedenMember Posts: 35
    ImAMiner? said:

Why?
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭

ImAMiner? said:

Why?
    It's generally accepted that it will lower your hashrate and/or raise your temps more than usual. At the very least it's unnecessary. The evidence is based on other mining software though. It may not be matter at all with the ether miner.