GPU Mining Software - NVIDIA/AMD?

Comments

• CanaryInTheMineCanaryInTheMine Member Posts: 41

@CanaryInTheMine @vasya2000 - What card are y'all using?

MSI 270X
    update:
    I got 1 out of the 5 gpus mining (seems successfully without crashes) will check in the AM to make a call.
    however starting up another instance specifying --opencl-device 1/2/3/4 (running ethminer is using 0) isn't successful. it starts, gets to "Grabbing DAG for blahblahblah" then it crashes with a popup:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Debug Error:
    Program: C:\cpp-ethereum\ethminer\Debug\ethminer.exe

R6010
    - abort() has been called
    (press retry to debug the application)
    abort, retry,ignore

found this on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28136617/r6010-abort-has-been-called

any suggestions on what to try next? I don't think at this point I'm going to figure this out on my own...

Second question: what the heck is that annoying 3 second pause when mining??? am i really not mining for 3/8 seconds (on average)? how do i get rid of it? is it a value in some source code file I can change to 250 ms or can i just comment it out altogether?
  • VasyaZZZVasyaZZZ Member Posts: 14

Asus R9 290X

MSI 270X
    ended up installing the beta driver from AMD on the single GPU win 10 system and it's now behaving... now to get the 5 GPU system working...

update:
    I got 1 out of the 5 gpus mining (seems successfully without crashes) will check in the AM to make a call.

that system ended up crashing and rebooting after it ran for about 4 hrs...
    I've discovered this anomaly:
    running ethminer.exe -G -t 2 -F “http://localhost:8545” works, it uses 2 GPUs
    running ethminer.exe -G --opencl-devices 0 -F “http://localhost:8545” <-- starts and runs
    running ethminer.exe -G --opencl-devices 1 -F “http://localhost:8545” <-- crashes as described by me, but the device 0 instance keeps running...

I suspect I'm running into a CPU limitation now since
    running ethminer.exe -G -t 3 -F “http://localhost:8545” just absoluteley brings the system to a complete crawl...
  • jzenjzen Member Posts: 49
    @CanaryInTheMine How many cores are there in the CPU being used? How much RAM in the system? Which graphics driver/version are you using?
    jzen said:

@CanaryInTheMine How many cores are there in the CPU being used? How much RAM in the system? Which graphics driver/version are you using?

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz (dual core) 8GB RAM
    update:
    got the 5 GPU system running. had to swap out to a CPU with more cores and used this command:
    ethminer.exe -G -t 5 -F “http://192.168.1.13:8545
    also, had to shutdown local geth and connect to a system @.13 that was only running geth.
    otherwise, sometimes geth would skip some blocks and process several at a time while mining was lost obviosuly... so I guess I have it working now... thinking about loading linux on an older laptop from which to run geth exclusively... but again, ethminer + geth on same win 10 system that has 5 GPUs were not very happy. and changed to CPU wth more cores.
    so far so good... thanks for all the help and suggestions... also mined a bunch of blocks already :)

update:
    got the 5 GPU system running. had to swap out to a CPU with more cores and used this command:
    also, had to shutdown local geth and connect to a system @.13 that was only running geth.
    otherwise, sometimes geth would skip some blocks and process several at a time while mining was lost obviosuly... so I guess I have it working now... thinking about loading linux on an older laptop from which to run geth exclusively... but again, ethminer + geth on same win 10 system that has 5 GPUs were not very happy. and changed to CPU wth more cores.
    so far so good... thanks for all the help and suggestions... also mined a bunch of blocks already :)

What Now CPU?
    VasyaZZZ said:

update:

What Now CPU?
    i got an i7-4790 since there's nothing higher to get in the 1150 socket, so that I wouldn't second guess a choice in between this CPU and what I had.
    I use, CPU: HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T, 3724 MHz (16 x 233)
    MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    RAM: 8106 МБ (DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM)
    Video: 2x R9 290X ASUS
    Win 8.1 x64

and I,

Benchmarking on platform: { "platform": "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing", "
    device": "Hawaii", "version": "OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1642.5)" }
    Preparing DAG...
    i 16:28:35|gpuminer0 W awromriknLgo oupp .0. .#
    00000000тАж #00000000тАж
    i 16:28:35|gpuminer0 Initialising miner...
    Using platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    Using device: Hawaii(OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1642.5))
    Trial 1... 0
    Trial 2...

Benchmarking on platform: { "platform": "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing", "
    device": "Hawaii", "version": "OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1642.5)" }
    Preparing DAG...
    Warming up...
    i 16:30:38|gpuminer0 workLoop 0 #00000000тАж #00000000тАж
    i 16:30:38|gpuminer0 Initialising miner...
    Using platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    Using device: Hawaii(OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1642.5))
    Trial 1... 0
    Trial 2... 0
    Trial 3...

and ethminer crashes

• charlieknollcharlieknoll Member Posts: 2
    I am not able to get gpu mining working either. I am running:

Ethminer devlope branch (commit 3589c73 on June 8) build with cmake .. -DETHASHCL=1 -G "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64"
    AMD SDK 2.9.1 verified with GPU Caps viewer Open CL 1.2

My benchmark log:

[OPENCL]:Found suitable OpenCL device [Pitcairn] with 2147483648 bytes of GPU memory
    Benchmarking on platform: { "platform": "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing", "device": "Pitcairn", "version": "OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1348.5)" }
    Preparing DAG...
    Warming up...
    [OPENCL]:Using platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    [OPENCL]:Using device: Pitcairn(OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1348.5))
    Trial 1... [OPENCL]:Printing program log
    [OPENCL]:LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 266)
    Unrolled as requested!
    LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 361)
    Unrolled as requested!
    LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 361)
    Unrolled as requested!
    LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 300)
    Unrolled as requested!
    LOOP UNROLL: pragma unroll (line 300)
    Unrolled as requested!

[OPENCL]:Loading single big chunk kernels
    [OPENCL]:Creating one big buffer
    [OPENCL]:clCreateBuffer(-61)
    [OPENCL]:clEnqueueWriteBuffer(-38)
    Trial 2... 0
    Trial 3... 0
    Trial 4... 0
    Trial 5... 0
    min/mean/max: 0/0/0 H/s
    inner mean: 0 H/s
    Phoning home to find world ranking...
    Error phoning home. ET is sad.

• charlieknollcharlieknoll Member Posts: 2
    Using GPU Caps Viewer I can see that my card only supports MAX_MEM_ALLOC of 524MB. I added the --use-chunks flag and it works now.

Using GPU Caps Viewer I can see that my card only supports MAX_MEM_ALLOC of 524MB. I added the --use-chunks flag and it works now.

but how do you add?
    I use Ubuntu . 54 Мh 2xR9 290x
  • ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    So I've managed to get 4 GPUs (5) on one machine stable - 3xR9 290s and 1x HD 7990. Using Ubuntu. I've got the 290s @ 23.x and the 7990 (2 gpus) @ 18.3 each gpu.

So that's (23 x 3) + (18.3 x 2) = 69 + 36.6 = 105.6 Mh/s.

This is without any fine tuning.

Lemme know if y'all need any pointers to get the AMD + Unbuntu environment going.
  • KLmoneyKLmoney Member Posts: 27
    @ConradJohnson would appreciate some info regarding the rest of your hardware driving these GPUs. I have never put together a mining rig before, but am contemplating doing it.
    edited June 2015
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @ConradJohnson, can you post a benchmark of an individual HD 7990. I don't think we have one yet. I'm currently spread sheeting an estimated hashrate for this card but would love a real one!
    jzen said:

@CanaryInTheMine See the Mining Ethereum on Windows guide at https://medium.com/@timothyjcoulter/mining-ethereum-on-windows-55f3f4f2217c -- that should help you get up and running.

i think the guide needs to be updated, it doesn't compile anymore using latest pull:
    Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'CL/opencl.h': No such file or directory c:\......\cpp-ethereum\libethash-cl\cl.hpp 163 1 ethminer
    @CanaryInTheMine did you run cmake with '-DETHASHCL=1' flag?

@o0ragman0o - Don't have the 750ti anymore. As far as I stayed with the card, I got it to 8.3 MH/s but that was with an older version of the cuda miner fork. I think there's better improvements added since.
    My 750 TI arrived today but still waiting on a CPU for my rig. The 750 I have is a low profile card to fit my SFF box but can't test the full sized TI yet.

@CanaryInTheMine did you run cmake with '-DETHASHCL=1' flag?

@o0ragman0o - Don't have the 750ti anymore. As far as I stayed with the card, I got it to 8.3 MH/s but that was with an older version of the cuda miner fork. I think there's better improvements added since.

offcourse! it's one of the steps in the guide:
    cmake -DETHASHCL=1 -G “Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64”
    I did resolve error C1083. the issue was that the project (ethminer) did not have include folder added to it's properties for AMD SDK. (this wasn't the case from around early June. the guide worked exactly hjow it was written.
    but anyways, after the dependency issue was corrected, these 70+ errors kicked in:
    lots of redefine errors around win SDK
    10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock2.h(1731): error C2375: 'ioctlsocket' : redefinition; different linkage
    10> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock.h(751) : see declaration of 'ioctlsocket'
    10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock2.h(1752): error C2375: 'getpeername' : redefinition; different linkage
    10> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock.h(756) : see declaration of 'getpeername'
    10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock2.h(1773): error C2375: 'getsockname' : redefinition; different linkage
    10> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock.h(761) : see declaration of 'getsockname'
    10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock2.h(1796): error C2375: 'getsockopt' : redefinition; different linkage
    10> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock.h(766) : see declaration of 'getsockopt'
    10>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\winsock2.h(1817): error C2375: 'htonl' : redefinition; different linkage

I'm trying to get past this now...
    posted on gitter, but haven't gotten a solution yet, something to investigate:
    http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50028
    try defining WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN

any input would be appreciated. but yes, the guide needs an update imo.
    Couldn't tell you what to do on windows... for the 7990 it's 2 core and I get around 17 mhs per core.
    @ConradJohnson, do you have an at wall power consumption figure for the HD 7990's? I'm purchasing a few but need a good idea on PSU selection.
  • OzdiggerOzdigger Member Posts: 25
    re 7990 power = Lots.... portable generator size :'( ..... they draw over 400w.
    I was running those and r9 290, 280x, I swapped over to GTX 970's and 980's at 150w approx.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    you paid $600 to save 80 watts vs 280s for $200 a pop ? wow
  • hangabershangabers Member Posts: 63
    EDIT: I think my post might be out of scope for this thread, so I made a new thread as well.

I'm having trouble with my setup. The frontier guide asks to download two software packages and from what it seems doesn't even install the zip (ADL_AMD8.zip). After I follow the GPU configuration set up it does recognize my 2 R9 200 type cards. Anyway I get to the end, geth (with rpc flag) all synced, DAG created (using autoDAG in the console), checked my coinbase is set in the geth console, I open one window per card, set GPU MAX allocation to 98 and fire up ethminer (with no compute) on each window....... and nothing.

Then after a reboot, the start up hangs after I input my passphrase to my encrypted swap space.

Also according to www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-graphics-driver-installer-notes-for-linux-operating-systems.pdf AMD is aware of the boot issue when the drivers aren't properly installed.

After a little bit of research it seems I may have got OpenCL to recognize my cards, but I may not actually have the drivers even set up.
    So my questions are..

Do I use install catalyst or fglrx?
    Which package would I need if any?
    What's the deal with just downloading the zip; is it actually being used?
    And how do I fix my issue?

Ubuntu 14.04.3
    R9 290x DD 4GB DDR5
    Semperon 145
    8 GB DDR3
    Qt5 5.5 (I installed the PPA: ethereum-qt repo as well as the regular)
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    fglrx updates driver is the one i use

google ethminer ubuntu setup and you should find a full guide