I checked the success story of the cryptokitties and also read the white paper. I was really astonished about the idea of implementing real objects and functions on a blockchain. However in my mind there are a lot of blind spots about the actual development process and basic mechanics. If you have the enthusiasm, please be so kind and help me:Basics:
The basic functions of the cryptokitty project are collecting and breeding cats with unique characteristics.
- Phenotype; responsible for visual appearance
My technical insecurities:
- Genotype; genomes, responlsible for the phenotype of the descendant.
1) I suppose that the phenotype (the visible image) of a cryptokitty is technically an image file with an ERC721 index (which gives the option of using a unique metadata).
2) I also suppose that the genotypes are also coded into that file, but in contrast with the phenotype it can not be seen directly.
3) I suppose the key datas (genotype, phenotype and erc721 indexes) are hashed somewhere in blockhain.
4) The ERC721 is also a standard which is responsible for key functions of token creation, proving ownership, transactions and smart contract allowance.Questions:
- Am I right with the first 4 statement?
- Are the keys of successfully creating unique files and tracking ownership is implementing ERC721 tokens with compatible smart contracts? How the tokens and smart contract functions related?
- Are the genotypes unique metadatas?
- If I breed a cat, the smart contract uses an algorithm which randomly chooses properties to define phenotype like the real life DNA?
- How can I image the hierarchy of the file system which contains the phenotype, genotype, erc721 unique indexes and smart file management?
- How is it possible to link the erc721 unique index with the phenotype (I suppose the raw image) of the cat?
- I've read that cryptokitties overloaded the network. Aren't these images too big for storing them directly on blockchain? Or the breeding transactions overloaded the network instead of big image files? In that case where the images are stored? How is it possible to store files offchain?
- How is it possible to store bigger files offchain with the option of uniquely owning them?
I'm working on a small project and I also looking for experts. If you have any experts in your network please be so kind and give me a recommendation. I'm willing to pay for any mentoring in the subject of implementing ERC721. Contact: [email protected]