Windows 10 failing updates?

iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
I swear I had Windows update turned off, but that bugger keeps somehow coming back to life. I gave in and tried to do the update on my miners.
Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Failed.

Over and over. It downloads, installs, restarts, fails, reverts.
Most of my miners are on the standard MSI Gaming M5 motherboard with 7X GPUs each. 8GB of ram and a cheap 160GB HDD that I got on eBay for $5 each. Admittedly the hard drive might be the problem, but only ~80 or so GB is being used.

I have now gone and just did a reinstall on every single one manually. But I'm afraid Windows will just pull that shit again.
Maybe it's time to go to Linux. Can Linux do undervolting now? I remember when I set my miners up, they couldn't. But it's been almost a year now.

Comments

• rigproxyrigproxy Member Posts: 26
    My answer is for AMD GPUs, I don't know much about NVidia.

libatiadlxx.so is no more provided with latest AMD drivers for linux so undervolting is now quite difficult.

However, you may have a test machine to find clocks and voltages for each GPU until you get no memory error in HWInfo (if someone has a command line tool for linux, please share).
    Then you flash each GPU with these values in the modded bios.

You will have to do this step for all GPUs (except if you do not push all GPUs to their max capabilities).
    Two GPU from the same batch are more likely different. I have 6 RX570 from the same batch, 2 of them run below 1900MHz (27,5 MHs) while 2 others are @2055MHz (29.5MHs).
    I could have put all of them at 1900 but I would have lost more than 5 MHs (0,30$-0,40$ per day - kWh cost)
    So it will take a while but it is worth it.

Linux boots faster in case of reboot (fail or maintenance), doesn't update automatically and you can boot it from a USB stick as I do. I also prefer the console remote management and noticed that the network handling is better (share submit is 10ms faster than windows with my configuration, even better when I go through my rigproxy servers).

I have heard that Win10PE can also run from USB but never tried it.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Use o&o shutup 10 to fully disable any update activity
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do know of the flashing with the lower values. This would be pretty onerous.