Random GPU Hangs (Any GPU, Any Slot, Any Time)

2»

Comments

• lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You are going to need another week to reduce voltages etc. I would recommend you put a small desk fan behind that monitor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000JTMJ42/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520063398&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=12+inch+desk+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=41xGK-QFPiL&ref=plSrch

This way you have fresh air going into your fans. This may bring the temps down by 10c. Also, I see you have a toaster and kettle on the left. Can these be moved, just worried if your toaster, kettle and rig are on at the same time.
  • Rigboy786Rigboy786 Member Posts: 45
    UPDATE:

I have turned off the Windows Defender Antimalware Service Executable and CPU Usage + GPU Usage seem to be a lot more stable right now. I doubt this has fixed the original issues I was having because it was happening in Ubuntu as well but I will continue to monitor.

For anyone else that has Windows Defender turned on, consider monitoring it as I've shown above and if you notice CPU Usage spike up + GPU Usage drop down and affect your hash rate... below is the link to how I fixed it (I used Fix #1, #2 and #3):

https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/09/14/antimalware-service-executable/

Also, here is a screenshot now.

UPDATE:

I have turned off the Windows Defender Antimalware Service Executable and CPU Usage + GPU Usage seem to be a lot more stable right now. I doubt this has fixed the original issues I was having because it was happening in Ubuntu as well but I will continue to monitor.

For anyone else that has Windows Defender turned on, consider monitoring it as I've shown above and if you notice CPU Usage spike up + GPU Usage drop down and affect your hash rate... below is the link to how I fixed it (I used Fix #1, #2 and #3):

https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/09/14/antimalware-service-executable/

Also, here is a screenshot now:

*UPDATE*

The 2 GPU's ran perfectly, 100% stable. I woke up in the morning and added my 3rd GPU and the problems started right away. I changed the slot, the riser and even the GPU but it just did not like 3 GPU's. I even added more ram to it but still the same problem, crashing.

So today I went out and purchased a new motherboard (ASROCK H110 PRO BTC+) and a new stick of 8GB DDR4 Ram. Swapped the CPU + Fan over, connected it all up and plugged in all my GPU's at the same time... booted into smOS from USB and behold... I have been mining stable for the last 5-6hrs!!

So I believe I had a combination of problems (motherboard + at least 1 ram stick faulty), it was a true nightmare situation and I've learnt my lesson... I won't be buying used components for my rig ever again.

@mchu3599 Thanks for all the advice, I will hopefully transport my rig to the workshop next weekend and in the meantime I will tidy up cables and tweak the clocks.

@lablett Thanks for the recommendation. The toaster/kettle come on in the morning but I've switched my rig off for now as I'm going into town tomorrow to pickup a desk fan similar to what you linked to. I'll set that out beside the rig and hopefully bring the temps down because GPU1 likes hitting 94c and i cannot sleep knowing my cards are hitting those temps.

I hope this thread helps anyone else that has been experiencing similar issues.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me through this :smile: