New 8GPU Mining Rig Case 4U server Rack setups and Mod Kit

jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
edited February 2018 in Mining
Hey guys, just wanted some feedback on what you all might want out of this if you were interested. I use the 4U case so designed parts and CNC cut/tap to make it cleaner and started offering to others.
The 4U Case features upgraded Artic Fans, 8GPU Mod Kit, Risers, 3rd rear fan mount plate, and front top shroud with control mount above front fans.

Let me know what you think. Or let me know what else you need built/designed if any ideas come to mind. Thanks! 8gpu.com

$375 or ETH for the Ready to roll 4U case.
https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Computer-RSV-L4500-RSV-L4000-RSV-L4000C/dp/B079NLY9N3

$80 or ETH for the Mod Kit you can use and install.
https://www.amazon.com/GPU-Server-Case-Mod-Kit/dp/B0751KNL5C

edit: about to above, text
Post edited by jetpack on

Comments

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    jetpack said:
    Are You supplying rails for the case also?
  • jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    Case comes as shown minus those GPUS and MOBo. Added those so you can see how it all fits. So the case is ready to go 100% for 8gpu.. just needs GPU, MOBO, CPU, PSU, power cables. etc . The risers and their respective cables are included along with the 3rd rear fan mount and fan. 6 upgraded Arctic fans installed.

That mod kit is included in the case if thats what your asking... along with other mods that make the case better and ready to roll vs buying your own.

The 8GPU mod kit alone is for those that already own a case and can do the install and work themself for 8 gpu.
    jetpack said:

Case comes as shown minus those GPUS and MOBo. Added those so you can see how it all fits. So the case is ready to go 100% for 8gpu.. just needs GPU, MOBO, CPU, PSU, power cables. etc . The risers and their respective cables are included along with the 3rd rear fan mount and fan. 6 upgraded Arctic fans installed.

That mod kit is included in the case if thats what your asking... along with other mods that make the case better and ready to roll vs buying your own.

The 8GPU mod kit alone is for those that already own a case and can do the install and work themself for 8 gpu.

Sorry for not being specific, i'm referred the rails for the sides of the server case for mounting in a server rack cabinet.

Anyway your build is great, we're also started working something similar and have problems with cases/rails supply/price, and your build is full ready on correct price, but we're realized that this size of international shipping triggers our country's VAT+toll for sure, so we'll do better if we buy and modify the case domestically.
    edited February 2018
    Comes only as shown. No other parts? I would imagine you can mount right to the cheap 4U racks, no rails are needed.

Yea its a large item and at 30 lbs It could be a problem cost effectively to buy the whole system. If you needed just the specific parts to make your cases like this that should be cheap for 5 units or more in a USPS international way. Just get at me for prices. eightgpu at gmail.com

Also keep in mind your GPU needs to be at like 45mm thick or so.. if your measuring much thicker then that its too think. I ran into say the 1060 Gigabyte Extreme that was super thick like 55-60mm and thats just too large to run 8 in the server case. Most GPU fit in this compact mannor even when close as the heat flows out and fresh air is coming in.
    Also if your running just reference GPUs like with the single squirrel fan you actually run the cards the other way as those only blow hot air out of the mount bracket thus only sucking cool air into the single fan.. so you want the single fan side towards front of case and the mount rod in mid case so your mounting the GPU brackets to the steel rod in the middle. That way all your hot air is blowing to the rear of case. Technically those are better for 4U cases just FYI, the scattered heat sinks of most GPUs is not great but doesnt have a problem in a controlled environment and in a 4U. Edit:front from From
    You dont technically need a nice rack, these 4U can just stack on top of eachother. I will order up this steel frame and check for you. I figured it all just mounts directly. I thought there was a $150 option, might have raised to $200.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Adjustable-Server-Cabinet-Management/dp/B06Y1CYL9G
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    I like the 4U idea but it's just more money to dump out and having to ROI on. Right now i'm using a wooden rack setup that costs like $5 and I can mount 8-12 GPU's and everything else on it.
  • zhaochengwuzhaochengwu Member Posts: 2
    Ericjh801 said:

I like the 4U idea but it's just more money to dump out and having to ROI on. Right now i'm using a wooden rack setup that costs like $5 and I can mount 8-12 GPU's and everything else on it.

will try to make one wood frame by myself too. 4u case is good looking, but bad for keeping everything cool.
    Thanks for your input. Yes from a static point of view $5 is better then $375 but when you have the thing running for 1 year you will be glad you have the clean 4u with filter thats easy to clean and controllable.
    So for my wood frame, I just copied one of the aluminum ones out there and had it made out of wood. Easy to do yourself if you have a few tools. I can provide a picture if you are interested.
    No i know you can build simple designs It just the possible flammability and rather inconsistant factor Im worried about. We all know and have done simple frames that allow function but this case is just more professional and systematic where scalability is fast and predicable.
    Flammability. I mean I guess that's possible if something catches on fire otherwise. It's not like the frame is going to start on fire just from the basic heat from the GPU's. (combustion of wood is like 150c+ and if your rig is that hot, your cards just melted lol).

What do you mean by inconsistent factor? I agree that case is more professional but I put ROI over having a pretty case, more so now than before as dif rises and prices stay pretty steady.
    edited February 2018
    jetpack said:

You dont technically need a nice rack, these 4U can just stack on top of eachother. I will order up this steel frame and check for you. I figured it all just mounts directly. I thought there was a $150 option, might have raised to $200.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Adjustable-Server-Cabinet-Management/dp/B06Y1CYL9G

The rails needed for easy maintenance. But this steel frame you showed is very good looking, but still needs rails for mounting the cases.
    I'll definetly keep in mind your stuff.
    Ericjh801 said:

So for my wood frame, I just copied one of the aluminum ones out there and had it made out of wood. Easy to do yourself if you have a few tools. I can provide a picture if you are interested.

Everyone have wooden frames, this topic is about server case design. You can't bring wooden frame to a datacenter and the cooling solution is totally different either case.
  • theclamtheclam Member Posts: 91
    does this kit include a way to mount the fans in the front?
    My case has the fans mounted, everything is ready to go. The 8gpu rail kit is only that in the picture. You have to mod the case and do everything on your own behalf to get it setup further.

Flammability Is a factor, not from heat of cards but there are cases where gpu caps, plastic terminals, wires, risers and power supplies get so hot it melts wires, copper red hot, plastic catches on fire from terminals etc and in that situation having wood in the right spot only promotes a large fire. Strange things happen. I have even had only 1000watts running from two PSU into a short extension cable, those cables with 2-3 outlets on the ends.. it was melting and burnt around the ground part.. it was a issue with poor mfg and the terminals inside were not making good contact with the metal parts of the plug thus making 500watts transfer on a tiny amount of metal contact.. basically like running tiny gauge wire when larger is needed.

Wood is also just weird, catches dust and holds onto it. Normally need to drill holes before a screw so wood doesnt split. Easy to over tighten screws and split wood. Kinda shaky.. with weight on it it will begin to shift slowly towards failure. Also as the heat from gpu/fans the moisture is removed and it just becomes a match. Not saying it doesnt work, Id rather you use milk crates or crap wire racks from walmart. There is like stain or fluids you can spray or paint on wood to seal it and prevent it from being flammable.

Aluminum is awesome btw as it helps keep everything cool acting like a giant heat sink. Open air case has the 580s running at 58-61C (142F) and thats with the office room heat on at 22.5C(72F)
    edited February 2018
    Since most dont want to mess with the other parts I can offer a 8gpu case missing just the GPU and software. Think $1000 plus ship. Includes ASUS mobo, intel cpu, 256gb ssd hd, 8gb ram, 750w psu, 1200w psu, cables, etc. Only thing you need to buy is GPUs and run your os of choice. Other then that 100% ready to go. I use only Platinum PSU and for 220v, lowest amps drawn for lowest cost. So you will need to use 2 cords on 220v outlet. Its best to keep PSU underloaded close to 50-60% for max efficiency so this would run 1200watt systems good.
    edited February 2018
    Made a new fixture yesterday to make 4 rails at a time so lowered price. I can also do 30% off for orders at 10 units. If you have cool ideas to build let me know I make tools and mill metal all day. Worked in Medical and do Aerospace ish too.

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Nice @jetpack do you have a 6 GPU mod kit as well? Most of mine have 6 as they are much easier to keep cool running 3 scythe fans on the front. I really just need a crossbar to mount the gpu’s. I’m using a wood strip wrapped in heat resistant foil tape which works fine but would like a milled steel piece.
    Hey Techman34. Iv been waiting for someone to ask for that.. haha. Been meaning to draw up and aluminum rails that mount 3 risers and make a bar for 6. Ill have to draw it up. Runs on the same fixture and setup so pretty easy. Consider it done. The steel bar might just be 20 and usps priority is 8.
    Here is a video with some definition.
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    If this had the ability to have a server power supply with breakout board, that would be awesome. That's pretty much the only reason I've stayed away from these cases. Server PSUs work much better than ATX ones.
    edited February 2018
    You can fit them on the side, kinda have to drill some holes and side mount it.. I do it. Ill make sure the cases have the right holes... though like a badass crypto you have to zip tie that ha. Its too complex to make a system to mount those right now. I can in the future. :/
    Post edited by jetpack on
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It's fine. Cards are too expensive right now anyway. Won't be building any new machines anytime soon.

And yes. I've bought tons of packs of zipties. Haha.
    edited February 2018
    Hey dudes... so made the new steel rails support 8gpu and 6gpu.. dont know if you can see it but the 6gpu holes have markers machined so you can install faster. There is no product support for 6gpu and aluminum riser rails as of yet ;) This new case in background also allows 9 fans and that middle fan rail. (need to use the more compact motherboards with only 4 standoff mounts, Prime Asus H270pplus for example) Sold out as of right now but will be back instock soon, last of cases sold out fast. Over 40 8gpu rail kits sold so thank you all much. Still 3 of the old design instock but new steel rails(6/8gpu) will be the standard.

Textme 1x2602208577x35 if you need anything special but i try and develop these products for the masses
  • eth_shiftyeth_shifty Member Posts: 52

Ericjh801 said:

will try to make one wood frame by myself too. 4u case is good looking, but bad for keeping everything cool.
    You'll want a metal case. Having a common reference ground not only keeps things running more error-free, it can really save your bacon if you make a mistake anywhere. I understand the desire to hit RoI sooner, but cmon, you spent how much on your GPUs? A wooden case to me is as false an economy as buying a really crappy power supply.
    Kinda a just feel thing too.. you wake up in the morn and see your Ferrari or Tesla X you just feel good lol. No matter what you buy a good frame or solution is just Icing on the cake. I know everything is down but damn that doesnt keep me from knowing its going up and continuously investing in the future. End all solution.
  • SaphSaph Member Posts: 72
    I realllyyyyy want to use these but the only cards I have easy access to are giant ASUS STRIX rx 580s, some of the largest cards I've seen. Thoughts?
    Can you measure the width of one of those.. is it really 52mm wide?

29.8 x 13.4 x5.25cm is the size on those ASUS STRIX 3fan RX580s it says. That XFX in the case in that a sample picture is 29cm so thats normal length for max. The width at 52.5mm is pretty wide.. 45mm is kinda max for 8gpu in the server case. 6gpu fit. Just better smaller cards out but yea they can hard to find. Generally still 480s going for 300 on ebay and those take less power and just take a 6pin..but your getting used parts but cards can take a beating. Smaller as in 480 580 and 570 2 fan or single fan units are preferred.