Help my GPUs dont show up in device manager any more

whitney49erswhitney49ers Member Posts: 7
So i was running along just added another GPU to my rig making 6 total. I was going fine for 4 days mining then one morning it stops. I restart my computer and my miner cant find gpu. I look in device manager and nothing. I tried a few things and nothing. I used ddu to uninstall drivers. I try to reinstall amd crimson blockchain drivers and it cant find a card to install the drivers. I reinstall windows 10 clean and still cant see cards in device manager. 3/6 have lights on telling me there is power but everything I try and windows cant recognize the cards. im wicked frustrated. Please help. I have amd rx 580s. mining ethereum.

Comments

• Ericjh801Ericjh801 ✭✭ Utah, USAMember Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Have you tried them 1 at a time to see if it recognizes them? I would start there. No melted cables or anything right?
  • whitney49erswhitney49ers Member Posts: 7
    Yes I have tried them one at a time and in different slots, with and without risers. and i dont believe there is any melted cables. How could they all go at the same time?
  • eforiuseforius Member Posts: 17
    UEFI or BIOS installation of Windows?
    unsure I just did a standard installation with a USB drive and a key from microsoft.
  • jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    Did you have a storm or something to mess them up? Power outage or anything related to power spike. It is really odd to have the cards not seen anymore. Im pretty interested in your issue. Still no luck?
    Do the fans spin up when you turn the system on?
    No Storms. I am unsure why but the computer restarted, and the cards were no longer recognized.
    The fans do not spin. just 3 of 6 cards have power lights that come on indicating they are getting power.

Thanks for all the interest and any help.
    How old are the cards? Might be time to RMA them or call them for some assistance. No power on bootup when connected to the motherboard directly is going to be a beyond bad sign i'd say.
    they are only a couple months old
    Since you've tried them one at a time and only some of them do not work, i'm going to go with something happened and fried them. No lights, no fans spinning, probably not coming back from that. RMA them with the manuf. They may have other troubleshooting steps you can try also, i'd give them a call if they have a support # or email support address.
    Well start with just 1 of the good ones with the lights on, once that is good then you can add the others one by one usually. That is really strange. Maybe automatic updates were on and something got changed that didnt agree. Those always need turned off along with any other features or power save settings.
    Maybe the power supply took a crap too or some other component causing a shutdown. Id hope they were running cool also, idk what bios you had running or how hard you ran those cards etc on maybe a bad setting.
    Pretty sure he said he tried them one at a time and the ones that wouldn't work before, still don't work one at a time. No lights, no fans spinning. Suggest bricked or fried if he truly did try them one at a time.
    jetpack said:

Well start with just 1 of the good ones with the lights on, once that is good then you can add the others one by one usually. That is really strange. Maybe automatic updates were on and something got changed that didnt agree. Those always need turned off along with any other features or power save settings.
    Maybe the power supply took a crap too or some other component causing a shutdown. Id hope they were running cool also, idk what bios you had running or how hard you ran those cards etc on maybe a bad setting.

You would need another computer to test one of the 3 "lights on" cards or a stock known working gpu to test the motherboard/current system of components.
    I dont know if a windows update or driver etc threw everything out of wack.
    Or what psu you using? Maybe it was taxed and overheated and shut down rapidly or single component inside blew but its looking like its working right now with low heat and single cards, maybe that toasted things? So many variables to test.
    I agree. Testing them in another computer would be a good solution. Even if that computer isn't for mining, that will help eliminate if it's the cards or the motherboard/psu/everything else.
    Im trying them in another computer at my friends house
    Let us know how it goes.
    they do the same thing on my friends computer. although when i bring his working gpu onto mine i dont see it either. still no answers
    That would suggest that something is wrong with them. I would recommend your RMA them or contact the manuf for more help. It's also possible something messed up your motherboard too?