Is GPU temperature the only indicator of long term damage to the card?

TheDiamonditeTheDiamondite Member Posts: 1
As in if I overclock my GPU using MSI Afterburner by decreasing power levels but increasing memory clock by about 500, does the temperature which is around 45 C while at 100% usage while mining, show that it won't take damage in the long term. Or does the overclock in general do damage to the gpu or does the temperature represent that?

Answers

• sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    your fans will be the first damage you'll get.
    at 100%, i think they'll be dead in about a month.
  • echomineechomine Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    I don`t think the only thing is the GPU temperature.
    OC mode also makes the long term damage.
    i actually think these cards are not produced to work on 7/24 full OC..At the end they are gaming hw..
    Maybe good to let them breath some hours in a day ...what I am doing ..
    but the question is very very amazing question for long term usage of these cards..
    Would be very good to hear if someone provides more technical explanation.
    that was my workaround to let them breath...
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32
    suthek said:

My fans are running at 30-40 %. Should be fine, or not?
  • echomineechomine Member Posts: 8
    he mentioned about the gpu usage for %100 as I understood.

in any OC software , i prefer to use manual config for fan usage.
    keep it cool before it goes high:)

10 10
    20 20
    40 40
    50 70
    60 80
    70 100

the other solution for long life cards could be to let the cards work at stock settings for few hours to let them breath as i said..
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Everyone has their own opinion on how they think the cards should run so it's hard to get a confirmed answer of what's best. I personally just set them to run at 65c and let it auto with the fans because room temperature will affect how high they need to run. I don't think you are going to kill the cards if you keep the temps reasonable and the fans not blasted. Most of them have a warranty if you bought them new for 2-3 years, so if you do run into issues, you have an outlet for replacement.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

this is pretty extensive
    but i think ur also talking about nvidia cards too?
    in terms of how they OC the core and the voltages
    they essentially safeguard from most damage from just using it
    amd is a lil different u can overvolt things and degrade them overtime that way, the main thing is heat
    but theres no reason a card that runs optimally will ever die as long as it is run optimally
    i have 3 and 4 year old GPU that have been running high loads constantly that whole time
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    suthek said:

That's not so straightforward. I have cards that are spinning the fans at 95-100% about 2 years ago without problem and have 2 year old cards which all had to replace the fans.