Weird problem on RX480 8GB

migdilumigdilu Member Posts: 10
Hi, i bought a powercolor RX 480 8GB (reference model), it has samsung memory luckily. I put the same straps that i have on my Sapphire nitro+ rx480 8gb (samsung too), and reboot.
The straps are:
777000000000000022CC1C00CEE55C46C0590E1532CD66090060070014051420FA8900A00300000012123442C3353C19

When i start mining after the pc is turned on the powercolor start getting millons of memory errors and after 10seconds i get a black screen(for 1 sec) and after that wattman settings are restored to default (It was on default settings before). Now i open the miner again and i get 0 errors and is hashing at 31.8MHs (overclocked), but every time i reboot the pc it happens the same, it's very weird.

So i set another straps that get me 1.2MHs less but it doesnt happen that weird thing the first time i open the miner.

Also i tried restarting wattman settings before start mining after a reboot but it's exactly the same.

Someone have any idea what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Yes this happens when the system cant use the current bios configuration, wattman then reverts back to normal bios settings, hence why you see the blank screen for a few secs as wattman applies new settings. I had a similar problem with voltages, it didnt mater what I put in the bios, wattman would override them. Pretty awesome clock rate for a 480 though - doubt the card would last that long at that rate

have you saved the old bios? open it in the very latest polaris bios editor and use the one click timing button, save then reapply - the straps are very different for reference and non reference cards.
  • migdilumigdilu Member Posts: 10

Yes this happens when the system cant use the current bios configuration, wattman then reverts back to normal bios settings, hence why you see the blank screen for a few secs as wattman applies new settings. I had a similar problem with voltages, it didnt mater what I put in the bios, wattman would override them. Pretty awesome clock rate for a 480 though - doubt the card would last that long at that rate

have you saved the old bios? open it in the very latest polaris bios editor and use the one click timing button, save then reapply - the straps are very different for reference and non reference cards.

Thanks a lot for the answer, i didn't knew wattman could restore the bios, but doesn't that need a reset?. If the answer is no, why am i getting the same hashrate after the restore? I'm getting the same hashrate that i get with the same timing it failed.

I did the OneClick timing and is using UberMix 3.1, but i'm getting 30.6MHs and can't past 2070MHz without memory errors, it's pretty good but with the other timings i get even more.
  • headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    With regards to Wattman and bios settings, I'm not entirely sure how it works exactly but I know it can override your bios settings, it sounds like on certain levels this is what is happening to you.

On an rx480 30.6 is very good, I'd settle for that. Personally I've gone for 1050 core and 2000 mem and I'm getting 29. It allows me to undervolt to 812mv for core and 850mv for memory which leads to much less power consumption and heat - hence my cards will last longer as they arent being stressed so much.

Also, if you push your card too much, despite not getting errors the consequence will be an unstable hashrate, so peversely you will probably get more shares (the important bit) with a lower hashrate