7 miners and 1 internet connection, any guider for setup?

Answers

• mchoetimchoeti Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2018
    Hm, ok i give it a try, but i am wondering, adding -ethi should works better or am i wrong ?

-ethi Ethereum intensity. Default value is 8, you can decrease this value if you don't want Windows to freeze or if you have problems with stability. The most low GPU load is "-ethi 0".
    Also "-ethi" now can set intensity for every card individually, for example "-ethi 1,8,6".
    You can also specify negative values, for example, "-ethi -8192", it exactly means "global work size" parameter which is used in official miner.

@headshot155
    Have you tried a combination? As example with -ethi 6 and -dcri 8 when mining Ethereum only?

• mchoetimchoeti Member Posts: 7
    ok i think i found the explanation in the manual, :-)

ETH-only mode when ASM algorithm is used (enabled by default): change "-dcri" option value with "+/-" keys in runtime to find best speeds. If you get best speed at "-dcri 1" (i.e. you cannot find speed peak), use "-asm 2" option to enable alternative ASM kernel (available for Tonga and Polaris cards only).
  • headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have played around with dcri extensively and found that as all my cards are identical the same dcri works best for all of them. I've never had crashing due to playing with the dcri. But I've found its either 8 or 9 that work best for me - every rig is slightly different so you may find 6 or 15 works best for you.

Most people I know who mine find 8 is the optimal number!
  • meyou5ickmeyou5ick Member Posts: 38
    Thanks brother, I got the tool. Which settings am I messing with here? Can you help. Thanks a lot
    So it looks like your has already been clocked, presumably you loaded a customised bios?

The GPU box on the left hand side has 8 different power states. The P7 is the state you need to adjust, experiment with 1090 instead of 1131 clock (titled MHz) to see how much that impacts the hashrate - you can go lower or higher depending on how much impact it has on the hash rate.

Once you have found a hash rate youre comfortable with reduce the Memory voltage (titled mV in middle box which only has a power state 0 and 1) to something like 900 rather than the current 1000. You only have to adjust the P1 state.

The voltage in the core and memory are linked and so while it says your core GPU is running at 937mV is it most likely still running at 1000mV. Consequently if you lower the memory voltage as I suggested the core will drop too.

If you get crashes when running claymore dont panic, just revert to slightly closer settings to the original. If you find you cant really touch the memory voltage with out it crashing there is an alternative by using voltage offsets (right click on the title bar of the application and select settings and enable I2C) - that gives you access to the voltage offsets but they dont work for all cards - usually RX4xxx but mixed on RX5xxx.

I have rx480s and get 29mh using a core of 1050Mhz, my memory is running at 2000 and memory voltage at 900mV. I wanted my core gpu to run at a different voltage to the memory so I used the offset function to undervolt the core down to 812.

If you go down the offset route dont forget the each one increment in the voltage offset equals 6.25 mv - so a voltage offset of -5 would be equal to undervolting by 31.25 relative to the memory voltage. If your memory voltage is set at 900 that would mean your core voltage would be at 868.5.

Why do all this? Well it will put less stress on the card as undervolting and underclocking the core gpu generally reduces heat and power consumption. It takes a bit of fiddling to get right and you wont be able to get as far with some cards relative to others. With my 7 RX480s I have managed to reduce my power consumption by 300w so its definitely worth doing!!
    Your last comment disappeared. Not sure what happened
    arg it disappeared when I pressed update - wtf!
    Sucks..you can give me the gist of it. Thanks brother
    Youve got 3 boxes, titled GPU, Memory and Fan.

The GPU box has 8 states, only look at the P7 state. By the looks of it you have a modded bios already, but I dont reckon the mV of 937 is being implemented and memory and GPU voltage on these GPUs seem to be tied to each other - the most likely thing is youre still running the core on 1000mV.

This is by no means an exact science but you want to reduce the core P7 MHz to something like 1090 or similar, or to a point where it doesnt materially impact your hashrate. Keep on pushing that core rate down until it materially impacts the hash rate - that would be immediately or at 1050.. you'll have to experiment

In the Memory box drop your P1 mV down to 900. Click apply then run then goto your next card and repeat, then run claymore - you cant do this on the fly, you need to restart claymore each time you make changes - you can experiment on one card then apply the same settings for all. The same cards can vary but will likely accept similar clocks.

Dont panic if the machine or claymore crashes - it only means youve pushed the mV too low - restart and the old settings will probably be there.

Now as both the core gpu and memory voltage are tied together you should find if claymore functions well at 900mV then there will be a big drop in your cards power consumption. But you can go further than this and its worth it, I managed to get my cards to consume only 63w each by using the voltage offset function - saving me ~300w for the whole rig!

If you right click on the title bar and goto settings you must enable to I2C settings - restart overdriventool and you will see the offset function - it works for most RX4xxx cards but not all RX5xxx cards.

Offset works by allowing the core gpu voltage to go incrementally lower than the memory voltage. For example, if your memory voltage is 900mV and you offset by -5 then your core gpu voltage will be 868.75. Each single increment represents 6.25mV, so -10 would give you 837.5mV which is what I run my cards at. Like all things mining each card varies a bit so you will have to experiment a fair bit.

You can automate the settings in a bat file for Overdriventool - you will find all the saved settings in the ini file.

The next result of all this is a much cooler, quieter rig that consumes much less electricity and will probably last longer as a consequence.
    edited January 2018

So I tweaked the P7 to 1050 but then hash rate dropped to 28 per card so I brought it back up however I have kept the mV at 900 still. Now its giving 29.2 hash roughly per card. I can see the temperature per card has dropped by 4 degrees but sound hasnt. I tried the I2C enable tick but it says not available. I have attached the screenshot. I’ll observe till tomorrow night now. Thanks so much for all your help. Btw I have manually reduced dcri to -27 for now but like you said, that doesnt matter much. When I brought it to 15, it was making cards touch at 30 m/h but this was before the Overdrive tools.
    yes it looks like you cant use the voltage offset, the only change I would make now is change the P7 voltage from 937 to 900mV - you could try 850mV for both memory and GPU - you may have stability issues. BTW I would still keep dcri at 15 or lower, its probably not stressing the cards any differently but you get a higher hashrate at 15 or lower.

The gpu dropping by 4c is a good result but as you are temperature targeting it should stay at the same temp but have lower fan speeds. What % fan usage are you currently using? Can you copy and paste your command line from claymore (without your address) - as I wonder if claymore has been instructed to do something..
    Thanks for that firstly brother. Secondly, fans are doing like 72-74% for all.

Heres a screenshot of the batch file

Also, local hashrate also fluctuates a little bit between 176-170, is that normal? Or is this due to the settings that I am changing?

Thanks
    Local hashrate fluctuate,a little so that’s fine. Fan speeds are pretty high, you could try 75c temp target to see how that slows the fan speeds down. I presume that cards are running at 70c at the moment?
    Shall I change the temp target in Overdrive tool? Cards are ranging between 40-45c funnily, nowhere near 70. Is that strange?
    that is strange and explains why the fans are going mad. Try changing the temp target to 69 or something - there may have been a temp target hardcoded in the bios..
    Is that the figure from Target Temp 70 to 69?
  • asusrigasusrig Member Posts: 141

I never get any rejects.

But you do get stale shares.

meyou5ick said:

Still around?

yes still around, how are you getting on?
    Going okay bud. I am building another rig using 6 580s. Do you think ill need 8gb ram for Eth on Windows or will 4gb do? Also do you suggest I get SSD disk with Windows pre-installed? Cheers
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 370 ✭✭
    I'd go with 8gb memory and a 60gb SSD (they are like $30 on amazon).
    Thanks a lot bud, I will get those. In terms of software for tweaking clocks and memory, any recommendations? Also, do I just buy an already installed Windows OS on the SSD or is it easy to install it later? Thanks so much
    It depends if you have a windows 10 key/etc. I just install it on my SSD from a USB stick. Plenty of places you can buy Win 10 keys from for pretty cheap.

I use overdriventool (you can google it). Works great for overclocking.
    Thanks again. Ill use usb and just stick it in there. In terms of drivers, is there any extra I need apart from what comes with 570s. Also lastly, can I just stick the power supply with any adhesive on the rig board? The motherboard can be screwed but wasnt sure how to stick the SSD and power on to the board. Thanks again for your help. Appreciate it
    So on my rigs I use L brackets (that you can buy at any home repair place - home depot - lowes) and screwed them down with those. Drivers. I would recommend getting the latest ones (18.2.2 or 18.2.3). You need to make sure you put the cards in compute mode (google that if you don't know what that means). I guess you could use double back tape for the PS but never know how much heat it's going to generate.
    Thanks so much brother. I am going to keep you guys updated when I start. I ordered a drill and am excited to build myself from scratch.

Love this community, very helpful
    No problem. Ask away when you need help. :)
    Cheers. Hope you are around here or if there are other means of keeping in touch, please do share. Have a great weekend