7 miners and 1 internet connection, any guider for setup?

meyou5ickmeyou5ick Member Posts: 38
Hi guys,

Hope you are well. Apologies if this has been asked before (if yes, could you point me to that discussion), I am setting up 7 miners and have 1 internet connection that comes with 1 router. The router has 5 slots, my question is how to expand that connection to incorporate all 7? Do I need something like this:

Example: Netgear 8-PORT GB POE SWITCH FANLESS, GS308P-100PES

If yes, is it plug and play?

Appreciate your help.

Answers

• headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    yes, that switch will work fine, there isnt any setup needed, simply plug and play directly from one of the ports on your router - the internet speed isnt crucial, its more about uptime
  • meyou5ickmeyou5ick Member Posts: 38
    Thanks brother. Also, I have one miner at ethpool which has hash rate 176mh (local), the average reported there over three weeks is 156mh. Is that normal? It did really well the first week to be around 170ish. Cheers
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    meyou5ick said:

Thanks brother. Also, I have one miner at ethpool which has hash rate 176mh (local), the average reported there over three weeks is 156mh. Is that normal? It did really well the first week to be around 170ish. Cheers

you likely have quite a few failed shares. your overclocks are too high. drop the ram overclock a little bit.
    (or increase the mvddc voltage to the cards.)

You'll need to share your configuration and card and ram type for us to get a better idea... but it's likely bad overclocks.
    Thanks guys, I am attaching the screenshots. I hope this gives an idea of what is happening and you can better guide. Cheers

meyou5ick said:

Thanks guys, I am attaching the screenshots. I hope this gives an idea of what is happening and you can better guide. Cheers

Power limit +23? that can't be right. why is that up?
    Try doing the config within claymore rather than afterburner.

paste the config from within your start.bat file. I'll try to change it for you so you don't use afterburner.
    (you can put a fake wallet ID (0x000000) if you don't want to share it.)

Also, I suggest you move away from windows and use linux for your mining rig.

Simpleminer is a great linux mining software and is way more stable. https://simplemining.net/
    Takes like 10 minutes to configure... and you need zero linux experience.

Key features:
    can adjust overclocks remotely... even via your phone.
    can adjust card fan speeds remotely.
    can adjust power settings remotely.
    can reboot rig remotely...
    can restart mining software remotely.
    can see rig temperatures remotely. (for each card.)
    can see hashrate remotely. (for each card.)

I haven't had to sit at my miner in months thanks to being able to do everything from my laptop on the couch.
    I would move to Linux soon but for Windows at the moment, is there a quick way to search the .bat file? Thanks
    meyou5ick said:

I would move to Linux soon but for Windows at the moment, is there a quick way to search the .bat file? Thanks

you have a text file that you put all your wallet and miner configuration into. (the nanopool info)
    send the content of that file to us and we can see how you configured it.
    Just added that. Your help is much appreciated.
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by headshot155 on
    1. high rejected shares means youre pushing your card too much, lower the memory or the core clock until you get not more rejected shares, your hashrate will fall but youre shares will rise due to increased stability

2. High stales share mean poor internet usually, switch from wifi to wired, get a better, more stable router/isp

3. ewal address isnt correct, I presume you have removed it for security reasons? if you havent youre not mining into a valid address

4. For your card, the dcri is wrong, I suspect the peak hashrate will be found at around dcri 8. Remover dcri completely from the command line, experiment with the - and + keys while mining until you find the best dcri, once there put it back into the commend line
    Complete noob that I am, I have got about 5-6 rejects in over 2 weeks. Is that hight? My internet is quite stable so I guess that is fine. Yes I just blanked the ewal address, I got an Eth address there. Lastly and most importantly, if I completely remove dcri then how do I get the + - tweaking, are you able to guide me through it?

My AMD settings are default, I dont mess with and I havent even updated Afterburner although there is a new version available.

Thanks again for your help
    edited January 2018
    I never get any rejects. If you have dcri in the command line then the + and - keys on your keyboard wont work. Remove dcri from your command bat file. Run the bat file and then do the following:

1. Wait for the mining process to start, where it is showing you number of shares and your calculated hash rate on screen

2. Press the - button on your keyboard, it is usually set 29 to start off with, each time you press the - button on the keyboard you will see a dcri setting come up on screen and a new calculated hash rate.

3. Keep on reducing the dcri until you do not get any improvement in hash rate - I reckon it will be somewhere between 6 to 15 in single mining mode.

4. Once the optimum dcri is found, save that dcri setting in the command in your bat file.

Personally, I would adjust your AMD settings but that a whole other conversation but in doing so you will consume much less electricity, your card will produce less heat and last longer and almost definitely at a higher hash rate. Happy to help you with that when you feel youre ready.
    That is brilliant brother. I am going to do that tonight. I cant thank you enough. By the way, do you have any source for new graphics card or like in UK, everywhere else has shortage? Thanks
    edited January 2018
    meyou5ick said:

That is brilliant brother. I am going to do that tonight. I cant thank you enough. By the way, do you have any source for new graphics card or like in UK, everywhere else has shortage? Thanks

no problem man. I'm UK based too - there is a serious shortage everywhere. These shortages go in waves, the last one was in August-October - then retailers stocked up on cards and the cards came back down to sensible prices. The same will happen again, its simply supply and demand, dont be tempted to purchase from price scalpers - give it a couple of months and the will be some cheap 570s to snap up. This is the beauty of ETH mining, the GPU supply is limited and there is a technical knowledge hurdle to build a rig. I'm in contact with a lot of retailers who say they will supply me a batch of 16 cards a soon as the come available - no one is calling me yet!

May the PoW be with you!
    Thanks so much. Started tweaking the dcri. At the moment I am on 27 and my local rate is 177.452 m/h, it fluctuates a little bit but I am going to check tomorrow to see if I got any rejects (if its 0 and showing average hash rate as 170+ on ethpool, then thats good?)

Yes, lets get on the AMD settings soon plus I have a few suppliers too who I am going to wait and see what they say, theres no rush. I have an idea which I would like to discuss. Let me know if you have a private message/email or something?

Thanks for your help brother, appreciate it.
    have a good read of this for bios settings

https://mining.help/bios-mods/

which gpus do you have?
    Will do buddy. I have Sapphire 470s
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    I thought rejected shares were shares that were thrown out by the pool because someome else solved it first (stale)? Incorrect shares are the result of greedy OC settings (memory errors which cause wrong results when working a share).
    My friend here headshot or other experienced ones can help, I am not clear on this.

By the way I played with -dcri

So at -dcri 15 (originally 28), I am seeing a total hash rate of 179.939 m/h. I am on Sapphire 470s and the average I am getting on each card is 29.9. Is that pushing it too much? Let me know, thanks again!
    Thats a pretty good hash rate for a 470 consequently my suspicion is that you are pushing the card quite hard.

This is personal preference, for my 480s I've settled at 29mh because they run much cooler with much lower fan speeds (35%) and consume less electricity (63w per card). - My belief is that they will last longer if I do that. I could easily get over 30mh but I feel more comfortable that I'm not maxing them out.

Temperature is the real killer - try to keep them at around 70c, but you dont want the fans over 60% for too long otherwise after a year or so the bearings will give up. Its a very contentious issue which I dont think anyone really has a conclusive answer on.

Bottom line is that if they are running nice and cool with low fan speeds at that hashrate then thats a brilliant result
    True, ill lower it but this is at 15 dcri. They were all going for 29.2 at 28 dcri. My only issue was that at ethpool there was like no stable reported hash rate. Is that normal or can that be stabilised at 170? Local shows quite good but its the ethpool which is not stable
    From my experience altering the dcri doesnt seem to have much impact on how stressed the cards are, its more to do with your clock and volatage settings. When you mean stable hash rate at the pool do you mean your reported hash rate by the pool or the current hash rate? if its the latter a variable hash rate is quite normal unless is significantly lower than the reported rate
    My reported is 179 but current hash rate is 150.
    Mine isnt too different to yours. With Nanopool you will find your current effective will be higher but the ultimate number of shares is similar. I've spent a fair it is time on this and at present despite my current effective rate being higher with nanopool is generally take me 43hrs to mine 0.1 ETH with Nanopool and 40hrs with Ethermine. As Nanopool is a smaller pool my current effective rate tends to be much more volatile as luck in finding ether becomes more important.

I never get my average effective closer than 5% to the reported, but I think that allows for stale shares and the odd bit of variability of mining and the quality of my internet connection.

Give it another 24hrs, but I would say your average is a little bit lower than your reported hashrate. This could be a number of things but I suspect the quality of your internet connection is most likely to blame.
    Cool. Ill check that brother, thanks. I have 50mb package with 3/4 mb upload speed. Its funny that when I first started mining (3 weeks back), I was mining 0.16 a week at 176 hash rate with no spikes or drops and suddenly now, its come down to about 0.10 in third week (per week). Not sure if its down to the difficulty or what but massive drop. Ill check in another 24 hours. I need to tweak the dcri to not bleed my cards at 30 mh.
    edited January 2018
    I wouldnt tweak the DCRI, I would bring down the core GPU clock rate a tiny bit, it'll run cooler that way and use less electricity.

I think thats a bit strange that you had no spikes or drops - it could have been how ethermine scales that charts - so when you start mining, in the first 24hrs it will have the chart scale from 0 to 200 for you, that would make the rates look pretty flat, as soon as the first 24hrs are complete and youve had steady mining the chart will re-scale making everything appear more volatile.

We have seen significant difficulty spikes in recent weeks as there has been a massive rush to build mining rigs in response to the recent ETH price price - hence why you cant find a GPU price at a reasonable price anywhere at the moment!

If you goto the homepage on Ethermine and look at the most recently discovered block addresses you will find the charts all look quite similar to mine
    Cool, ill check out the charts. How do I bring down core GPU clock rate? Is that in AMD settings? Also, what should they be?

Thanks
  • mchoetimchoeti Member Posts: 7
    Hm.. i am also watching the difference over the last week. i think "we" all have more or less the same variance. I have more or less the same picture like @headshot155 or @meyou5ick . I will give it a try the next days.

Another thing which came to my mind. When you are using claymore and the DCRI option you are dual mining right ? Do you see a difference when you mine only ethereum with Claymore?
    All the best and looking forward to read from you soon
    Cheers Chris
    @meyou5ick Have a go at using OverdriveNtool, it is essentially a more user friendly interface for the clunky AMD Wattman - the only things you need to change are the core clock and memory clock rate - lower voltages later once you found optimal clock settings. You want to lower the core clock rate as much as possible without reducing the hashrate, and raise the memory clock to as high as possible without making the card unstable.

@mchoeti the DCRI should be optimal at around 8 when you are mining ethereum only like myself - I have tried dual minging using claymore 10.6 and it doesnt really impact the reported hashrate but I have noticed is makes it a fair bit more volatile