Help with GPU not starting

foresttraderforesttrader Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Mining
Hi,

I've been mining with my AMD GPU for < a month, the GPU (let's call it GPU0) was bios modded and worked like a charm until last weekend. I was tweaking another GPU (GPU2) so I unplugged all other GPUs from the PCIE (only the USB ports, power cables were still plugged on) while making changes to just GPU2. When I'm done all my changes and plugged everything back on, GPU0 was no longer detected. Its fan wouldn't spin on boot, and Device Manager/GPUZ/ATIFLASH couldn't detect it. I tried many different things, including putting GPU0 directly onto MOBO, changing a riser, swtiching ports, plugging another working GPU to test the PCIE slot, resetting Windows. None has worked so far.

I don't know if this means the GPU was bricked, or something else? The GPU fan wouldn't turn on, however when the GPU connected to power for a few minutes I could still feel the heat from it, which means it's still connected to power at least. Would appreciate if anybody can provide any insight!

Comments

• jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    Depending on heat cycles it could be the memory or gpu came unsoldered from the board so its bad now. Its kinda bad to run a gpu for a long time hot then let it cool off, then heat it up again. The flexing of the card causes solder fractures. This is kinda why companies started doing backplates. It holds the card in a more ridged fashion. The reference radeon has a endoskeleton like interior plate that stiffens the card up to prevent flex. Randomly could be a board system component also like the mosfets or caps.
  • foresttraderforesttrader Member Posts: 2
    jetpack said:

Depending on heat cycles it could be the memory or gpu came unsoldered from the board so its bad now. Its kinda bad to run a gpu for a long time hot then let it cool off, then heat it up again.

Thank you, this is very possible... In this case I guess I'll have to RMA.

Miners will likely run the GPU for a long time so what would you suggest I should do so that in the future I can reduce the chances of such things happening again?

Thanks!