Simple mining os ssd or usb pen drive?

AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 92
Hello guys :)

as the title suggest, whats better for simple mining os? usb pendrive or ssd?

also is there any problem on using usb pen drive at all?

should i use 8gb or better get a 16gb one just in case they upgrade something?

Comments

• TaltonTalton Member Posts: 25
    I would personally avoid using a USB drive for a mining rig.

There could be so many problems, easily corrupt, slow processing speeds, randomly disconnects.

Just go for a nice cheap SSD, you can pick one up for around £15 off of eBay.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Talton said:

I would personally avoid using a USB drive for a mining rig.

There could be so many problems, easily corrupt, slow processing speeds, randomly disconnects.

Just go for a nice cheap SSD, you can pick one up for around £15 off of eBay.

Agree, i'm also having bad experiences with usb drives in mining rigs.
    If you're after space saving see if your mobo has an M.2 slot, you can get really cheap small M.2 drives :smile:
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Talton said:

If you're after space saving see if your mobo has an M.2 slot, you can get really cheap small M.2 drives :smile:

Avoid M.2 drives they take pci-e lanes from your chipset.
    suthek said:

Talton said:

Avoid M.2 drives they take pci-e lanes from your chipset.
    I'm on about the slots actually ON the motherboard, I've a motherboard with 2 of them.

• PandemicPandemic Member Posts: 5
    Of course USB drive! You must not mind the other people saying; There could be so many problems(what problems have you ever used USB drive?), slow processing speeds(what processing? we don't even need proper ram to mine cryptocoins), randomly disconnects(what???). So many rich people here with too little knowledge.
    Pandemic said:

Of course USB drive! You must not mind the other people saying; There could be so many problems(what problems have you ever used USB drive?), slow processing speeds(what processing? we don't even need proper ram to mine cryptocoins), randomly disconnects(what???). So many rich people here with too little knowledge.

My comments and opinions are made based on my experiences with USB drives.

They can become corrupt over a short space of time, especially when running an OS from one constantly. You're right though, you don't need a lot of hard drive speed for mining, but you'll want a comfortable reliable speed, and for £20 I wouldn't exactly say you'd have to be rich.

But don't listen to me, Hell! stick the OS on a Micro SD card for all I care :wink:
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Pandemic said:

You're with the too little knowledge, i'm not just saying but already experienced much and had many problems with usb drives with high uptime, they go corrupt, remount read-only, can't reboot etc.
    Too many misery for too low gain. So it 's not richness if i pay $25 to avoid potential sucks.