**SOLVED**........Adding extra GPU causes OpenCL Error -4 in Claymore

Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
edited January 21 in Mining
Hi Guys, got another 2 8Gb RX580's today and joined then to my successfully running rig of 3 RX 580's.

Original 3 card rig was 2x 8Gb Rx580 and 1x 4Gb RX580, all working very well for well over 10 day now.

Added the 2 extar 8Gb Cards to rig and the 4Gb card cause the ' OpenCL Error -4 (0) - Cannot create DAG on GPU' error?? After 30 secs or so it says Card Failed and then reboots The mining software.

Put the rig back to original setup runs fine, take out the 4Gb RX580 and run with 4x 8Gb and it runs fine.

Tried changing the 4Gb card position on the MoBo, no difference. Searched on here for this error and most answer come back saying not enough memory to create DAG.....But it works fine on it's own or fine with 2 other 8Gb RX580's.

Any Ideas??

Thanks Peps!
Post edited by Wasp0 on

Comments

• Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
    Edit to above Post: Just tried the 5 card setup in SimpleMiner (Linux) and it all works fine??? So is this a windows error? and if so where the hell do i look?
    Anyone any suggestions Please. Although yes i can run Simple Miner but i would like to get this working in Windows as i can remote to PC and monitor.

Thanks, any suggestions welcomes.
    Well Solved it...........Myself.

Everywhere i have read it says 4Gb of ram is adequate for a 4, 5 & 6 card rig, so i only had 4Gb of DDR4 ram installed. HOWEVER........My problem above kept me awake most of the night (Seemed like it) and when you dissect the issue and the fact it worked on Simpleminer (Linux) it HAD to be a windows issue. Not MoBo as windows always reported all 5 cards, so i knew all settings on MoBo where correct.

So off to my mates and plead with him to lend me a 8gb strip out of his gamer, came back, slapped it in and hey presto IT NOW WORKS FINE!!

So TL:DR.....You (I) NEED 8Gb MEMORY IN A 5 or 6 MINING RIG!!
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32
    Wasp0 said:

Everywhere i have read it says 4Gb of ram is adequate for a 4, 5 & 6 card rig, so i only had 4Gb of DDR4 ram installed. HOWEVER........My problem above kept me awake most of the night (Seemed like it) and when you dissect the issue and the fact it worked on Simpleminer (Linux) it HAD to be a windows issue. Not MoBo as windows always reported all 5 cards, so i knew all settings on MoBo where correct.

So off to my mates and plead with him to lend me a 8gb strip out of his gamer, came back, slapped it in and hey presto IT NOW WORKS FINE!!

I have 4 GB in 8 Card Mining Rig and IT IS working fine :o
    Yes thats all i have been reading....4Gb is enough. But clearly in my case it is not as my mate wanted his 8Gb Strip back to play his games, (Damn Spoilsport) i took his 8Gb strip out and put my 4Gb back in and Same again..... Put his 8Gb back in and hey presto works again! So had to give it him back, and ordered another 4Gb myself to come on Tuesday.

So back to SimpleMiner and all is well!

So is my 4Gb strip working at full pelt?
    Lucky0r are mining with your rig in Windows or Simpleminer sort of setup? What miner are you using?

Thanks
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32
    I am using Windows 10 pro & Claymore 10.3
    Strange it is..........Anyhows, my 4Gb strip should be here on Tuesday, slap that in and away i go back on Windows again, although this SimpleMiner is pretty good, just a shame i can't get my head round Linux and try get some sort of Remote connection so i can monitor the rig from work. Windows is Soooooooo easy, well it is for me and i suppose that's what counts...Linux? i can't even shut it down without pressing the on/off button LOL!

Thanks for your input, take it easy me ole mucker.
  • mshordjamshordja Member Posts: 70
    Luck0r said:

Wasp0 said:

I have 4 GB in 8 Card Mining Rig and IT IS working fine :o
    I have only 4GB in 12 Card mining with no problem, OS used windows 10 :D
  • SyNuD_XLSyNuD_XL Member Posts: 1
    Hi just want to say I had similar problems and this posting pointed me in the right direction. Virtual memory settings. Putting the virtual memory higher solved the problem. FYI