Neighborhood Watch, surveillance and 'internet of things' (iOT)

PonziUnitPonziUnit Member Posts: 15
Personally, I will stay far away from an iOT device unless it leaves a trail of actions upon a blockchain - but I don't know how easy it is to convince the average consumer for that need.

I imagine Ethereum contracts binding neighborhoods together with Neighborhood Watch applications. Surveillance devices could be interlinked on the blockchain, automatically encrypting and uploading data that is only available to the originator of that data or by their 'agent' who they've assigned as proxy. There could be override features built in, enabled with multi-signators. A group of neighbors needs to see my pictures (not inside my house certainly) and if they've outvoted me, perhaps they get access to pictures my camera took, but at least I'm notified of who and when access was granted.

Police, ambulance, life alert, fire departments all having signatures and perhaps a Judge who can overrule them all by power of subpoena, but in the end even the Judges actions are documented just like anyone else.

Towns and cities should not let the data collected by iOT devices flow in an unnoticed haphazard manner to the established big data farmers in raw form without influence.

A city might provide a privacy gateway, where citizens have access to bandwidth with the caveat that this gateway has byLaws written by the local community. There would be a balancing act, growing the local gateway motivated by the monetary benefits from selling big data to marketers and researchers, however the community would not want to have their byLaws so constrictive as to drive users away.

I can image a blockchain that contracts with the nearest doctor on call during a medical emergency, whose services are then logged to the blockchain, and before he's even done saving a life in the middle of the night, his shift at the hospital is replaced by another doctor who fills in for him. Don't think of working for some impersonal employer, think of the blockchain as the employer who is able to adapt to the needs of the worker in real time. It's not about profit for the blockchain it's about efficiency and whatever ethical practical byLaws we're able to encode.

I can imagine a blockchain that introduces an elderly person to a youth who is looking to pick up a couple of dollars for raking leaves, taking out the garbage, helping someone carry groceries.

Today, unlike the past, many people do not even know their neighbors and it is so sad. The blockchain could not only introduce people in need to each other on a local and neighborhood level, it could keep all interactions accountable. Perhaps there will be a day when you are not afraid to knock on your neighbors door to ask a favor, or to borrow something because reputation and honorable barter or commerce is carved into the blockchain. Kids bored and won't go outside? The blockchain locates supervised activities to keep them busy. A neighborhood bully getting out of line, the blockchain - guided by an ethics committee, social workers, police if things have gotten that far - finds some kids just about his size and provides a suitable activity that has been proven over time (etched into the blockchain) to work for all involved... so many possibilities.

Surveillance freaks people out - Ethereum can take that freak by the heels, turn him upside down and shake all the meanness out of Neighborhood Watch.

So, my question is, how would I sell the Town Council on empowering themselves, claiming their space spot in the Big Data gateway? Who would I invite? How do I convince them that they should all sign on?

I don't want to bring in the worlds largest alarm company, I want to replace them from the ground up while involving everyone in town. I see huge money coming into our digital currencies but I see the best growth at the smallest levels, everywhere.
Post edited by PonziUnit on

Comments

• TsuDohNimhTsuDohNimh Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    I think that what you say is in the right direction, but if it went wrong...well it smacks far to much of The Circle for me to get excited rather than worried about if that were to happen.

The Circle, By Dave Eggers....If you haven't had a chance to read it I'd recommend the book, very thought-provoking :)
    Post edited by TsuDohNimh on
  • PonziUnitPonziUnit Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, I read the wiki on Eggers book, putting that on my todo list.

Terrifying things are possible of course but I think the greater mob will entertain itself by working to right even the smallest and most isolated wrongs.

An embarrassment or an injustice on a local level could get global attention and a blockchain embargo might be all it takes to resolve horrible situations.

The iOT makes this pretty much unavoidable in my opinion. If the network can be built and maintained for almost nothing someone is going to assemble it. The only question is, should it be centralized or decentralized.
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    @PonziUnit‌ - have you seen IBM/Samsung's recent work with Ethereum on their IoT platform "Adept"?
  • PonziUnitPonziUnit Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    @thehighfiveghost Yes, i heard they demonstrated it at CES? Also, I stumbled across this under viewed video by IBM from seven months ago on Youtube.

The entire video was interesting to me but relevance to this conversation starts around the 30 minute mark if i recall.
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited January 2015
    @PonziUnit‌ Yup you got it - Vitalik was at CES too. They are also creating an open source Android light client based off ethereumj which is excellent! Should be up on GitHub in the next month or so.