PoC 6 v0.7.12 sanity check

o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
Ok I think I need a sanity check.
I haven't been able to get dapps running and from other posts around looks to be a problem with the JSON bindings. I can RPC to eth after this command:

eth --json-rpc-port 8080

But trying anything from the javascript console just returns null.

I'm not a developer so aren't sure which way to go now...

Comments

• mids106mids106 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Start eth with the option --json-rpc
    The default JSON RPC port is 8080, so you don't need to specify that option.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Thx mids106.

So, sanity check... My understanding is that Alethzero is standalone and does not require eth to be running and that AZ is just a GUI version of eth. Is this correct?

eth returns JSON objects as expected when queried in a web browser.

But in Alethzero the js bindings don't seem to be running. So for example when i enter 'eth.key' in AZ's JS console it returns 'null' when it should return the private key.

I've tried ./alethzero --json-rpc but no difference.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod

So, sanity check... My understanding is that Alethzero is standalone and does not require eth to be running and that AZ is just a GUI version of eth. Is this correct?

Correct.

eth returns JSON objects as expected when queried in a web browser.
    But in Alethzero the js bindings don't seem to be running. So for example when i enter 'eth.key' in AZ's JS console it returns 'null' when it should return the private key.

There was a long standing bug in the previous commits to the devel branch that affected the JS API. That said eth.key has been deprecated for a while now, by design (no need to expose private stuff to the client). Check out http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/1636/tutorial-3-introduction-to-the-javascript-api for the new notation.