Problem: Only 20 Mh on RX 580?

tstriketstrike Member Posts: 22
edited November 2017 in Mining
I just build my first mining rig, with the following specs:

Intel Pentium G4400
Asrock H110 Pro BTC+
Kingston Valueram 8 GB RAM PC2666 (1 dimm)
6x XFX Radeon RX 580 GTX XXX OC+ 4 GB
Corsair RM1000x power supply
Thermaltake Case Core P5
64 GB SSD
Running Windows 10 PRO

One videocard was DOA, so i'm currently running with 5x RX 580 cards.

However, with stock settings the maximum hashrate i can get is 20 Mh ETH and 570 Mh/s Pascal in dual mining per card. In solo mining the ETH hashrate is the same. I read on this forum and online that most people have the RX 580 cards running at 25-26 Mh ETH out of the box and up to 30 MH with modded bios and tweaked settings. My setup doesn't even come close, and before i start modding these cards i want to be sure there's no problem with them.

20 Mh is far too low, right? Does anybody have a clue on what might be wrong? I have no idea why these are not running any better and don't know what to do next.

Please help.
Post edited by tstrike on

Comments

• PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Which AMD drivers are you using?
  • tstriketstrike Member Posts: 22
    As it's a fresh windows install, i'm running the latest AMD drivers, downloaded directly from their website a week ago.
  • 5quat5quat Member Posts: 16

Switch to Compute
    Thanks for the advice, that indeed gave it a boost.

I'm now doing 22.4 Mh/s on ETH and 670 Mh/s Decree, still on stock ROM. However, i still feel this is below average?
  • ghaith1983ghaith1983 Member Posts: 7
    try to install the block chain driver 17.30, it works very good and stable
    Tried the block chain driver and that doesn't change the hashrate.
  • karl_den_12karl_den_12 Member Posts: 27
    I use 16 .9.2 driver. and hash about 18-20 mhs. before i got 26-28mhs. Strange.
    tstrike said:

You can use a blockchain driver. But few recent standard AMD gpu drivers that came out in the past two months have that compute switch and you'll get the same thing, DAG issue fixed and couple Mh/s back. But that will not get you to 29-30Mh/s. 22.4Mh/s is ok I guess for 1750Mhz memory clock and non modified bios.

You need higher memory clock on your graphic card and bios mod. Try overclocking first.

Modifying BIOS can be done pretty easy actually.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
    To read BIOS from your cards and later to flash modified BIOS to your cards.

https://github.com/jaschaknack/PolarisBiosEditor
    Polaris bios editor with one click timing feature. That simple.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    If the driver doesn't work after flashing moded bios this is BIOS Signature Check Bypass Patch. You can apply it right after driver install, before restart.
    Okay, will try to mod the bios tomorrow, see if i can bring up the performance and lower the power usage.
    tstrike said:

Okay, will try to mod the bios tomorrow, see if i can bring up the performance and lower the power usage.

did you try it ?
    5quat said:

tstrike said:

You can use a blockchain driver. But few recent standard AMD gpu drivers that came out in the past two months have that compute switch and you'll get the same thing, DAG issue fixed and couple Mh/s back. But that will not get you to 29-30Mh/s. 22.4Mh/s is ok I guess for 1750Mhz memory clock and non modified bios.

You need higher memory clock on your graphic card and bios mod. Try overclocking first.

Modifying BIOS can be done pretty easy actually.
    To read BIOS from your cards and later to flash modified BIOS to your cards.

Polaris bios editor with one click timing feature. That simple.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    If the driver doesn't work after flashing moded bios this is BIOS Signature Check Bypass Patch. You can apply it right after driver install, before restart.
    I have 6 cards (XFX RX 580 8G) and I'm getting 22.5 MH/S
    my question is how, what is the expected hash rate after i'm doing the above steps (flash) and is it risky (flash my cards) ?
  • RyTEKRyTEK Member Posts: 40
    I just got my RX 580s up and running at >30mh/s per last week. The key is to run Polaris Bios Editor 1.6.3 and click Auto Configure (or whatever the button says). It gives the proper memory timings to the proper straps and is great at auto detecting your memory type to.

You should download ATI Win Flash and save your "stock" bios. Then you edit your stock bios in PBE 1.6.3 and save as another bios file name. Then flash the new bios file to your card using ATI Win Flash. Tweak the cclock and mclock and you are off to the races.
    edited November 2017
    Ok, so i just did what Ry TEK said and i upgraded the bios to the Auto Configure settings with Polaris Bios Editor 1.6.4.

Before i did that, i switched the bios switch on all videocards to be sure not to ruin the standard bios. I then flashed the first 3 videocards with WinATIFlash, not updating GPU3 and GPU4 since i was not able to select them in WinATFlash. I then rebooted the system.

Now i'm dual mining with Claymore again, and the mining indeed has improved on GPU 0 to 2. I now reach 26 Mh/s ETH and 780 Mh/s Decree (as to 22.4 / 680 Mh prior to the tweak).

However, what really freaks me out, is that GPU3 and GPU4, which i have NOT flashed, now have even better performance than GPU 0 to 2 :neutral: . GPU 3 and 4 have a mining of 27 Mh/s ETH and 810 Mh/s Decree!

How the hell is that possible? Is there another special mining bios installed on these two XFX cards which i have now enabled by changing the bios switch? Or what has triggered these 2 GPUs to outperform the other 3 all of a sudden? When looking at the GPUs with GPU-Z, they all seem to have the same bios version.

By the way, prior to the update the system running 5x RX 580 used a total of 1190 Watts (on a 1000 Watt PSU...), which i feel is quite steep. After the bios update, this has lowered to 1130 Watts, which i still think is far too much for only 5 GPUs. The system uses 78 Watts idle in Windows 10. Any ideas on that? I've read on the forum others have 6x RX 580 running on a total of only 850 Watts.
    edited November 2017
    Strangely enough, my previous message was removed after i edited it..

As i wrote, i did as Ry TEK suggested and updated GPU 0-2 with the Polaris Bios Editor optimized bios. I downloaded the primairy bios, but i did flash it on the secondary ROM bios, so flipped the switch on all GPUs. I couldn't target GPU 3 and 4 with Winatiflash, so i rebooted and tried with the 3 cards updated.

After rebooting the tweaked cards would get 26 Mh/s ETH and 780 Mh/s Decree, where that was 22.4/680 before. However GPU 3 and 4, which i had NOT updated, were running even better at 26.9 / 810 Mh/s. How could this be?

I did some more research on my system. While GPU3 and 4 were now outperforming the tweaked GPU 0-2, i copied the now-active secondary stock bios from GPU3, and reflashed GPU 0-2 with this bios. And what do you know, now all GPUs have 26.9 Mh/s ETH and 810 Mh/s Decree. Also, the total power consumption of the setup went down from a whopping 1190 Watts to only 840 Watts. Also GPU temperatures are much lower now, which leads to lower fan speeds and a lot less noise!

Conclusion: the XFX RX 580 cards have a secret (undocumented) mining-optimized bios stored in the secondary bios rom!!

If you own these cards, just flip the switch for better out-of-the-box performance. It's the tiny switch located next to the 8-pin power connector on top of the card.

Ok, so i'll use this secondary bios as the starting point for future improvements. I just ran Polaris Bios Editor on this one and i'm now getting 27.3 Mh/s ETH and 819 Mh/s Decree. Does anyone have more information on how to further improve on this? I read on this forum others reach 29/30 Mh/s ETH and have systems with 6 RX580 cards running on only 850 Watts.

On a completely different note. I'm also cpu mining cryptonight (XMR) at the same time on this machine. Eventhough it's a very weak CPU, it'll mine an extra $ 0,20 per day without any additional power consumption (i just ran some test and the Watt meter didn't register any change in power use)! So if you have a similar setup, make sure you run some CPU mining too. I use Nicehash for the cpu mining by the way.
    Post edited by tstrike on
    You edited while I was writing this but here it is, maybe you find something usefull...

I suggest you to stop dual mining and focus on ETH only for now, you'll burn something with 1190 Watts on a 1000 Watt PSU.
    Reduce GPU clock, no need to go over 1150MHz for ETH mining,
    Reduce Core Voltage, try to go under 900mV and that will fix your high power consumption.
    Increase Memory Clock as that will give you more Mh/s.
    (all this can be done with Claymore's miner only, no need for Afterburner at all)

See screenshot below and compare it with your settings, not the same cards as yours, but the principle is the same.

(also keep in mind that the order in Claymore miner does not have to be the same as the order in the ATIFlash about that BIOS flash issue).
    Thanks 5quat for the great advice. I now got it running in dual mining with 29.7 Mh/s ETH and 892 Mh/s Decree, totalling 840 watts for the system with 5 GPUs.

edited December 2017
    I did some more tweaking and got the system stable at 29.8 Mh/s ETH and 895 Mh/s Decree, running at 820-825 Watts for 5 GPUs. (mclock 1075 and vddc's at 887)

I however have an annoying problem. Each time the system reboots and Claymore starts for the first time, mining is limited to 27.3/820 Mh/s, eventhough Afterburner clearly states that the GPUs are running with the correct values.

Once i Ctrl-C and restart claymore, it starts mining at the correct higher rates. This happens after every reboot. And since i want to use the rig without any monitor and keyboard/mouse, this is very irritating since i won't be able to restart claymore and so i won't get the optimal hashrates. Does anyone know what causes this and how to tackle this problem?
    There's one feature in Claymore's miner that may help you, check readme.
    -minspeed minimal speed for ETH, in MH/s. If miner cannot reach this speed for 5 minutes for any reason, miner will be restarted...

Also you can use some remote management software (TeamViewer, VNC) to access your rig with your mobile phone or another computer.
  • rrrikinrrrikin Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017
    I have a similar setup at here, i am getting 22.5 MH/s on my RX 580
    I used TechPower GPU-Z to backup my original BIOS, now i opened up PBE 1.6.4 but how do i do the Auto Configure settings with Polaris Bios Editor 1.6.4? I do not have that button. Am i missing anything?

Any help will be appreciated.
    Post edited by rrrikin on
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    I really recommend giving up on windows.
    Simple Miner OS is so much more reliable.

Takes 10 minutes to get configured. costs $2 a month (barely anything... and free to try at first.)
    You flash it to a USB... then boot to USB can leave your windows install on your HDD for when you're not mining.
    rrrikin said:

I have a similar setup at here, i am getting 22.5 MH/s on my RX 580
    I used TechPower GPU-Z to backup my original BIOS, now i opened up PBE 1.6.4 but how do i do the Auto Configure settings with Polaris Bios Editor 1.6.4? I do not have that button. Am i missing anything?

Any help will be appreciated.

Do not use GPU-Z to read/backup original BIOS, use latest AMD/ATI ATIFlash.

Also this PBE by jaschaknack

thank you 5quat, I will give this a try today and will provide the feedback.

suthek, I will have to look in to that one later on. Thank you

• danihaxdanihax Member Posts: 2
    if you have xfx, there is a small switch (by the blue light) that changes the bios to a mining one that the manufacture made. Combine that with 17.30.1029 for a 28-29 MH/s (after OC ofcourse). I'm currently using those cards and thats what I managed to get. Also, I am using Claymore.
  • Fish_minerFish_miner Member Posts: 29

In SOLO geting 28-29eth ,but i was managed get 30-31mh/s per card .
    Saphire Nitro+ RX580 4Gb
    OC setings
    Power -25%
    GPU :1250
    Memory:1900
    Memory type Elpida
    Thank you all, I manage to get around 29.5 per RX580 card with BIOS modification using PBE 1.6.4, now my next hurdle is how to cut the power, i have 5 cards total 4 are RX 580(1 xfx and 3 PowerColor) and 1 is MSI RX 570. With all of these running, i am getting the total of 139mh/s, i think there is still room for improvement but before that, i want to tackle lowering the power consumption. It is consuming right now 920W on average. I am attempting to use Afterburner but core voltage is grayed out and i cannot control it. Do you guys recommend anything else?
    Go to Afterburner settings (gearbox button) and in General tab check "Unlock voltage control" and change to third party. Also check "Unlock voltage monitoring".
    After restart, you should be able to control the voltage. If it is still grayed out, it's probably because you are using the latest graphics driver that afterburner does not cooperate with. Works fine with blockchain driver.
    got it, thanks i will test it out
  • Fish_minerFish_miner Member Posts: 29
    rrrikin said:

got it, thanks i will test it out

If you geting lower then 115w in soli ,please write what setings you have .
    I managed about 112-115watts per card and hashpower is same like full power .Cuting above 25% hashrate drops . But i have reading in some forums that rx580 you can get 90wats ??
    FYI, I followed this https://mining.help/ and got little better results
  • zerkalozerkalo Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    good afternoon!
    vindous 10, driver Blockchain on RX580 stitched hashed 30 but this is when the memory is 2050 and the kernel is 1366 (default frequency) if you drop the kernel to 1150-1200 (as advised) the hasht falls to 27? tell me where to dig. and even in the amd driver of the Blockchain in the tab of the game-global settings there is no tab switching performance graphics