MS Windows 10 + 17.10.3 = Winner

lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
After spending many hours I think AMD and MS have finally cracked it. My test rig is running MS Windows 1709, with 17.10.3 and mining with Claymore and all settings(speed & voltage) being controlled. In the past I have slated AMD but in all fairness they have sorted things out.

Comments

• ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    You're able to control the memory clock and memory voltage as well?
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    yes - You have to upgrade windows - I found it quicker to install MS Windows again. Just applying to second machine.
  • kentankentan Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2017
    Is the DAG hashrate issue fixed in this driver?
    yes, but you have switch the card to compute mode ( aka mining) in the AMD settings.
  • headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    has anyone else managed to replicate this?

@lablett is your rig running any cooler or more stably at lower voltages?
  • orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
    How does 17.10.3 differ from using the AMD compute beta drivers?
    lablett said:

yes - You have to upgrade windows - I found it quicker to install MS Windows again. Just applying to second machine.

I'm using Win7 on my test rig. Everything is up to date. Still can't change anything memory related.
    edited November 2017
    Difference from the Compute drivers is that this can support 12 GPUs however, if you read the notes, the warning on stability (known issues) is still there, so use at your own risk. The other difference is that you have to manually select the 'Compute' function in AMD settings.

If you are happy at 8 GPUs or less, continue to use the compute driver (if it ain't broke, don't touch it otherwise you are asking for a world of pain trying to re-install everything)

Also reinstalling or updating Windows to the latest version is an extremely painful exercise in waiting......

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.10.3 Highlights

Known Issues
    A random system hang may be experienced after extended periods of use on system configurations using 12 GPU's for compute workloads.

Update - I reconfigured one of my rigs and I could not get the new driver working. Not 100% what is wrong but the system is not happy even when mining. I need to do more testing on different hardware.
    Seems like this driver is still 'beta'

Not worth the downtime to convert at the moment.

How is the test rig running? Is it on 12 GPUs? stable?
    New driver out 17.11.1
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    there seems little point using these new drivers,
    update - I have had a mare with my test rig, which had only 5 cards, as MS Windows 10 Fall Creators Update was not happy with new AMD driver. I was using an old asrock h81 pro btc which which was having an issue with MS Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. So I changed the motherboard to an asrock h110 pro btc and this is working much better. I think MS are still have issues with older chipset's.
    @lablett what are these "issues" that you're running into? By divulging more information we may be able to help you separate a hardware issue from a possible software issue.
    edited November 2017
    MSI Afterburner and Claymore could not set the memory speed. HWINFO would not start and hence there was an issue between MS Windows and AMD. MS Windows was not happy and this was a fresh install.
    ! Maybe the install went bad but this would be very odd. As you know there are so many variables in building a machine and often the sequence of events can also have an impact. The latest driver with 'compute' would not even work and the blockchain driver was not stable. I have wasted way too much time and hence throwing new hardware at the problem fixed my problem then great.
    Post edited by lablett on
    edited November 2017
    So with the H110 you were able to set the memory voltages and clocks? Did they persist after a reboot?

Edit: nevermind. Everything seems to FINALLY work under 17.11.1. I've only tried it on W10 though.
    Post edited by ecs87 on