Three GPU rig PSU. Difference between running over 50%+ load and running under 50% load?

renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
For the record, per the "Cleaning Up This Forum" sticky post, I have spent more than 30mins searching this forum, and I have yet to find an answer to this particular question.

I want to run my 1060 6GB along with 2 new 1070's.

I am thinking of running a Gold 650watt, but I also like the idea of getting a 1000watt.

I could possibly add 3 more GPUs down the road for a total of 6, "if" I COI the cost of the two new GPUs and the PSU. What I just said there "automatically" makes peeps reply that the 1000watt is the better option since there is "hope" that later down the road I'll get 3 more GPUs.

In truth, I have no clue if I'll actually add 3 more (total 6) and even if I knew that I 100% would, I'd be looking at 6-12months before I even COI'd.

From research, I understand that you don't get the power savings until you use 50%+ of your power, so I figure I wouldn't hit 50% of a 1000watt by running 3 total GPUs. I run a lower voltage on my 1060, and I plan to do the same with the 1070's.

Would the savings of using a lower watt PSU at 50%+ load over 6-12 months more cost effective than paying more for a totally OP PSU that would run "well" under 50% load for that time period?

Comments

• cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2017
    My suggestion:
    check the cost of a single PSU (1000 seems short, you might need to go for 1200 for overclocking the 6) against a 2 PSU solution (2 x 650 or 2x750 or 2x850). You might find that the dual PSU solution will be more interesting.

Also you can start now with a single cheaper 850W (can take up to 4 GPU) then later add the second PSU. Is easy to connect 2 PSU to same motherboard. For that the best solution is to use a Y cable to start automatically the second PSU. You can also use a simple steel clip on second PSU to start it (there are several videos on youtube on how to do it). I used both methods on my first rig of 6 GTX 1060 but prefer the first method (Y cable).
  • renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
    cjclm7 said:

My suggestion:
    check the cost of a single PSU (1000 seems short, you might need to go for 1200 for overclocking the 6) against a 2 PSU solution (2 x 650 or 2x750 or 2x850). You might find that the dual PSU solution will be more interesting.

Also you can start now with a single cheaper 850W (can take up to 4 GPU) then later add the second PSU. Is easy to connect 2 PSU to same motherboard. For that the best solution is to use a Y cable to start automatically the second PSU. You can also use a simple steel clip on second PSU to start it (there are several videos on youtube on how to do it). I used both methods on my first rig of 6 GTX 1060 but prefer the first method (Y cable).

Thank you for that information!