What is "Stable"?

Miner8472Miner8472 Member Posts: 109
What counts as a stable overclock/card in terms of the variance in the hashrate?

e.g. a 1070 might hash at 28.4 but will drop down sometimes to by 1 Mhs to 27.3 and very occassionally might drop down by 3 mhs to 25.3.

Is that 1070 stable?

Comments

• ElectraElectra Member Posts: 7
    i would not count that as stable... ive got gtx 1060's ... they hash around 23.2-24.8... thats my idea of stable...
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Depends on your mining program, and it seems when blocks come in and go out there is a slight difference. IMO, if you're using ethminer, that variance is normal (I see much less fluctuation using Claymore).
  • Miner8472Miner8472 Member Posts: 109
    Thanks for the replies.

I am using Claymore v10. The 1070s are on 70% power and 500Mhz overclock. I will look at how adjusting the power limit upwards affects it and/or reducing the overclock.

@electra - the normal variance is similar to your 1060s with a range of ~ 1. Just very rarely will drop to 25.3.

I do have latency spikes though on this connection at the moment, not sure if that would affect it.
    I did some tests over nearly 1000 shares or so.

Adjusting power limit back to 100 and resetting the overclock to stock made no real difference to the variance other than to change the hashrate numbers.

When overclocked by 500Mhz (to 8500MHz) with a 70% power limit there were no incorrect shares. The numbers of shares looked right in terms of proportions between the cards. There was no significant difference between the two 1070s and the 1060 was producing proportionally less shares consistent with difference in hashrates (this difference was significant).

I'd say that the card settings are ok. Its as stable as it will ever be.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    everytime when some GPU generates a share, it starts new job. Miner shows a little drop in hashrate in that moments.
    You can check stability with MSI AB with power consumption graph diagram.
    If overclocking is unstable, you'll see not an almost flat line, but significant drops by 10-30 (or even more) watts for a long time.
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the reply. All cards are basically a flat line. No drops by more than 1 or 2 watts.
  • mmcruz1979mmcruz1979 Member Posts: 75
    Miner8472 said:

Thanks for the reply. All cards are basically a flat line. No drops by more than 1 or 2 watts.

How do you fixed the issue ? I have 6 gtx 1070 and the system is not stable. The voltage line go up and down. Looks like a heart beat machine lol!
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Miner8472 said:

How do you fixed the issue ? I have 6 gtx 1070 and the system is not stable. The voltage line go up and down. Looks like a heart beat machine lol!
    I told about wattage, not voltage.
    Little GPU voltage changes (up to +- 0.01 V) during workload is not a problem.