ASUS 250 Mining Expert Motherboard issues

BillhingeBillhinge Member Posts: 20
I purchased the above to replace a Gigabyte z170-ud5 th which had fussy pcie slots thinking it would simplify things, how wrong I was. The board has some nice ideas but it feels like betaware bios software rushed out before being ready to compete with Biostar/Asrock

Issue 1 - memory slots cheap looking and very tight fitting
Issue 2 - Will only boot with one slot populated with 8GB Corsair 3200MHz, filling both slots and it won't even attempt to boot, thought it was dead, removing second stick of RAM resolves issue, worked fine in old mobo
Issue 3 - Turning Mining Bios off or setting RAM memory settings manually causes POST to repetidly to fail, only way to POST is to set optimize defaults which also re-enables mining mode
Issue 4 - refuses to recognise more than 1 GPU on usb 3 risers (VOO7s)
Issue 5 - Manual very basic, even online is poor, the embedded QR codes in manual reference wrong motherboard sub-manuals
Issue 6 - No onboard error codes displayed, you need old world speaker beep codes, took me a day without pluging pcie mobo tester to find out it didn't like my RAM

Good points

1- supports 19 slots
2- usefull pre-diagnostic display of pcie slots in bios splash screen when booting, wont tell you what error is if any though
3 - can support 3 psu coonections if they work?- I have evo 1300w and 650w which appear to be working (fan spinning, card lighting up)
4 - could be 15% faster with single card when used with this mobo as opposed to old z170 board, could be chance?

So beta AMD drivers and what feels like beta bios software on motherboard = not good combination.

May have to send it back which is a shame since I wanted so much to like it.

Comments

• BillhingeBillhinge Member Posts: 20
    sorry that should be evga supernova psu not evo
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Wow you're scaring me now buddy. Mine arrives in the mail tomorrow. Bought it in Newegg and it shipped from the US with a $10 charge.

Fingers and both legs and arms crossed.
    I could have a bad board or be misunderstanding the manual which could be better, should be interesting to see your experience. I may buy some lower spec RAM from the supported vendors list to see if that makes a difference as I would like to get it working, good luck and let me know how you get on ;-)
    Billhinge said:

I could have a bad board or be misunderstanding the manual which could be better, should be interesting to see your experience. I may buy some lower spec RAM from the supported vendors list to see if that makes a difference as I would like to get it working, good luck and let me know how you get on ;-)

I was hoping to get all setup last night but that freaking 8-gpu rig frame that I tried to assemble took a hell lot more time than I imagine.

Tonight's the night!
  • cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    Mine arriving next week. Hopefully I will have better feedback on it
  • kj08kj08 Member Posts: 8
    I have been thinking about this board though wonder about 3 ATX connectors. Why there are 3 ATX connectors? Does it mean that you dont need to use powered Risers anymore? Or are you still planning to use 3ATX connectors and all powered risers?
    I think you have to use the same psu to to power the boards group of slots and card, there are 3 groups of slots but you don't have to use jumpers to connect the 3 psu together. its all explained in the manual in the link I posted
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    i would RMA purely for the ram issue
    no matter what u should always be able to populate all DIMM slots
    higher spec RAM also should have no issues at lower speeds
    my 3200 runs a crazy low latency at 2400 stable

all in all these mobos are very interesting with the on board multiple PSU support
    and the caps for each pcie slot
    i would RMA or exchange first
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    cidmo said:

i would RMA purely for the ram issue
    no matter what u should always be able to populate all DIMM slots
    higher spec RAM also should have no issues at lower speeds

Not quite right, there's a memory compatibility table for every motherboard and the manufacturer always give you a warning to check that info. It is also not uncommon for certain memory type/size combinations are not working or limiting the board's operation.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    no, one stick will not run at all if incompatible
    mining bios wont use dual channel memory so thats not the problem
    the only problem he will have is he cannot, possibly, run that particular ram at its rated speed, possibly
    until a particular code that works with that chip is built into the bios
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Just for example: http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/docs/iss/DL380pGen8/setup_install/advanced/Content/151130.htm for what was i thinking when said size/type combinations.
    This compatibility question is far more complex than you think (working or not)...
    It's a common case, that a module works alone, but not working with another module, or just in dimm1, but not in dimm2 etc.

edited September 2017
    RMA'd the mobo to newegg *sigh* :(

Biostar BTC+ Pro should be here today. I opted for this one instead as I want to minimize downtime and by getting another Asus Mining Expert (which will take again 5 days to get here, unless I pay ridiculous expedited shipping fee) I am putting my faith again that it's going to be from a good batch.

Did you have problems with yours? just got supposed compatible RAM to try tomorrow
    edited September 2017
    Billhinge said:

Did you have problems with yours? just got supposed compatible RAM to try tomorrow
    Yeah, it was DOA.

Didn't wanna risk another one and just ordered Biostar BTC+ Pro. Pretty tricky to setup but i'm out mining with 8 GPUs in no time.

And by that I mean after 25 minutes of BIOS fiddling.
    I'm going to send it back, tried new RAM, same problem. Also problems with slots when using 2 cards. works with 1 slot, add 2 cards and neither slot works. Either got a bad board or the bios is a POS
    I hate threads without an answer so here it is. I sent it back, it was tested and found faulty and I got my money back, others may get a working board ;-)
    Mine is working fine last few days with only 1 PSU, 2x8GB, Intel i-5, 4 GPU (waiting more material)

I found no issues.

Working on Win10Pro64. Trying install Linux on my Rig to avoid limit 8 GPU Nvidia...
  • Bemx2kBemx2k Member Posts: 6
    I got Asus B250 Mininmg Expert today , and first problem occured :/ I can't boot from Ubuntu installed on memory stick :/
    I got SimpleMining OS working fine with Asrock H110 BTC Pro but with Asus B250 it is not recognised as a bootable media :( any ideas ?
    Seems like nobody in the board has had a Mining Expert board up and running with little to no problems.
    mine has no issues, received 2nd PSU, have now 8 GPU (waiting more raisers to add more gpu)
    Running on Win10Pro64, 6 Asus Nvidia P-106 plus 2 Asus Nvidia GTX 1060
    2 PSU, Master is 1275W and Slave is 1200W
    will add more 2 GPU RX580 once receive more USB Raiser (delay on Mail)
  • Bemx2kBemx2k Member Posts: 6
    Can you boot up from memory stick into Linux or Simplemining OS ??
    Sure I can. I used USB memory stick to install Linux. Now finnally I stopped using Windows and am running Linux on my miner. By the end of this week (when USB raisers arrive) will have 12 Nvidia GPU working on it. This was the reason to change from Windows to Linux (Windows has limit 8 Nvidia GPU same motherboard)
    Update: I have the 12 NVIDIA GPU running smoothly in the motherboard, no issues on Linux

Now I am learning how to do overclock
  • fexnokfexnok Member Posts: 1
    13 non-mining Nvidia GPUs running on Ubuntu 16.04.

- 11 GTX 1070
    - 2 GTX 1080Ti

I haven't had a single issue. Only drawback is that in order to get the extra 6 GPUs working, those need to be mining specific cards not standard cards which is a shame.
    fexnok said:

13 non-mining Nvidia GPUs running on Ubuntu 16.04.

- 11 GTX 1070
    - 2 GTX 1080Ti

I haven't had a single issue. Only drawback is that in order to get the extra 6 GPUs working, those need to be mining specific cards not standard cards which is a shame.

Hi fexnok, you must have 3 good PSU :) for those powerful 1070 and 1080. My rig is more modest :# :
    • 6x Asus GTX 1060
    • 6x Asus P-106
    On Windows all 12 were overclocked yielding 24MHs (on different motherboards). Overclocking is easy on Windows using MSI Afterburner. Same like you I am using Linux Ubuntu 16.04 but I still did not understand how to overclock the Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 on Linux. Already tried with nvidia-smi, nvidia-settings, etc, but noway... do you know about a good link I could use as a guide?
  • totti10ittotti10it Member Posts: 12
    cjclm7 said:

Update: I have the 12 NVIDIA GPU running smoothly in the motherboard, no issues on Linux

Now I am learning how to do overclock

can you please give me some useful links to teach overclocking
    all i found just shit
    no exact material to learn just general talk
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    guys, i'm trying to install Windows 10 via usb drive or usb dvd and it's not working.
    On bios boot settings I can see drives, but cannot boot.
    Any thoughts?
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    matricea said:

guys, i'm trying to install Windows 10 via usb drive or usb dvd and it's not working.
    On bios boot settings I can see drives, but cannot boot.
    Any thoughts?

problem solved...csm enabled