Bandwidth issues

I have heard ehterum has bandwidth problems. If there was something similar to youtube for etherum you would have to download all of youtube to watch one video. Is this true?

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    (if this is too much, consider point two the answer)

Yes and no, mainly no. The blockchain idea of bitcoin, by itself has the issue that everything on a the blockchain has to be re-excuted by everyone. Multiple ways that is not entirely true:
    1. From the start, bitcoin came with a way to use Merkle trees to make so called SPV clients which only need to keep track of headers.(which are tiny) They get nearly the same security, but the network of course still needs full nodes, particularly from the miners.(but from users too)

Ethereum can do this too.
    2. Magnet links are enough to locate a file. So the file can be referenced-from the blockchain, and people would be able to get the file. This is really the answer to your question.

Ethereum intends to add something like this, currently called Swarm, but it might use something out there that already exists. Of course, file sharing depends on seeders, so providing a monetary incentive for people to do so would be very beneficial. Bandwidth is cheap, that is why youtube even exists. So it would be sufficiently cheap.
    3. Finally, afaik it is nothing like the ability to put entire movies on the blockchain, but progress on the scalability problem has been made.

SPV clients are small enough to fit on a blockchain, so different blockchains can be tied together. However, that is just a part of it, they have to be scalably secure. This is grave concern i have about the idea of sidechains, it does not cover the centralization risk. Merged-mining increases the difficult of all the chains, but to be competitive miners have to mine all the chains, i.e. it becomes prohibitive and only few parties can do it. In contrasts, creating rules to disallow merged-mining more than a few chains, makes individual chains not difficult enough, so an attacker can corner it. The approach in the blockchain basically figures out a way to basically limit the abilities of such an attacker to such extent that the attacker basically does not have any gain from cornering the single sidechain.(/substate)
    Finally, you could chop up a file in many pieces, and then use Merkle tree and ethereum code that can check relations between pieces, to create files that can be audited to have certain properties. In principle, that could be properties that make a valid movie file or something. Or different files can have relations to each other, closer to hanging blocks. (Hanging blocks is also somewhat like the approach in that blog post, but with cleverer use of state to show state changes are checked)