I'm probably missing some obvious things with these questions, but I'm trying to simplify my understanding of Ethereum mining.
As a little fish, I would like to mine, but I would like to reduce my variance (or actually have a chance of mining blocks) by being in a pool. I understand that there are problems with large pools, but I wonder if I can even mine a single block by myself.
1. Will there be mining pools at all?
2. If mining pools are disincentivized, does that discourage small potential miners from participating?
3. Can mining pool contracts reduce some of the problems associated with mining pools, or would that be effectively the same as a traditional mining pool?
4. Profitability aside, how small could someone be and still mine blocks?
5. Is there a Ethereum mining, practical applications, FAQ page?