Debian Wheezy - Build Tips

I succesfully built the console client on Debian Wheezy. For now I am testing this. In need of any tips, your welcome.

If someone knows how to get the graphical client working on debian feel free to enlighten me.

Comments

• accapeaccape Member Posts: 66
    How does the UI fail?
  • arckearcke Member Posts: 34
    Not yet tried it. Can we test mine with the console client?

I will try installing a qt5 binary from the web. I dont think there is an appropriate qt in debian stable.
    Mining doesn't really seem to work. I think my client found a block (at least there was some message that indicated that i was the one finding it) but since then nothing really happened.
    edited February 2014
    How do you test mining? When I try the -m switch this is what happens:

[email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum-build$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib eth/eth -m
    Opened blockchain db. Latest: ##############################################
    Address: 127.0.0.1 = 127.0.0.1 [LOCAL]
    Address: 10.0.0.2 = 10.0.0.2 [PEER]
    TB : init_upnp()
    Listening on local port 30303 (public: 0.0.0.0:0)
    Mode: Full
    Attempting connection to -m:30303
    Initialising: latest=###############################################
    Connection refused (resolve: Host not found (authoritative))
    edited February 2014
    Try ./eth -x 256 -l 30303 -m on -v 1 54.200.78.45
    CPU is constantly at 100%, so i guess it's mining
    It connects and at least 1 CPU core is busy right now.
    Someone just found the second block and my first transaction is now confirmed
    Yes, I noticed. On my way to building the qt client i get the following error.

[email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum-build/alephzero$ ~/Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/bin/qmake ../../cpp-ethereum/alephzero
    [email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum-build/alephzero$ make
    g++ -c -pipe -std=c++11 -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I../../cpp-ethereum/alephzero -I../../secp256k1/include -I../../cryptopp562 -I../../cpp-ethereum -I../../include -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/include -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/include/QtWidgets -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/include/QtNetwork -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/include/QtGui -I../../Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/include/QtCore -I. -I. -I. -o MainWin.o ../../cpp-ethereum/alephzero/MainWin.cpp
    In file included from ../../cpp-ethereum/alephzero/MainWin.cpp:6:0:
    ./ui_Main.h:14:25: fatal error: QtGui/QAction: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [MainWin.o] Error 1
    You lack some development files for qt
    I think I know your mistake. You need to use qmake instead of make.
    edited February 2014
    Actually I had to clean the directory once and it corrected some previous misconfigurations.

Now I get this

g++ -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-rpath,/home/test/Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64 -Wl,-rpath,/home/test/Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/lib -o alephzero main.o MainWin.o moc_MainWin.o -L/home/test/lib:MAKE_LIBDIR -Wl,-rpath,../../cpp-ethereum-build/libethereum -Wl,-rpath,../../secp256k1 -Wl,-rpath,../../cryptopp562 -lethereum -lminiupnpc -lsecp256k1 -lleveldb -lcryptopp -lgmp -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system -L/home/test/Qt5.2.0/5.2.0/gcc_64/lib -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Network -lQt5Gui -lQt5Core -lGL -lpthread
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lethereum
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsecp256k1
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [alephzero] Error 1

while the console client does find these and builds fine.

Modify: Maybe add some extra includes to .pro or flags to the compiler.

Modify: Build is OK!
    edited February 2014
    After the git repository was updated I tried to recompile. First I got a client which immediately dumped core. Then I deleted my source and kept my modified CMakeLists.txt aned alephzero.pro containing respectively

SET(CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH ${CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH} "/home/test/include")
    SET(CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH ${CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH} "/home/test/lib")

FIND_PACKAGE(Boost)
    IF (Boost_FOUND)
    INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(${Boost_INCLUDE_DIR})
    ADD_DEFINITIONS( "-DHAS_BOOST" )
    ENDIF()

and

INCLUDEPATH += /home/test/include
    QMAKE_LIBDIR += /home/test/lib

since I do not want boost 1.55 in system directories.

Next I pull the source from git and recreate cpp-ethereum-build and do

[email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum-build$ cmake ../cpp-ethereum -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
    -- Boost version: 1.55.0
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    -- Build files have been written to: /home/test/cpp-ethereum-build

and then make produces this error

[email protected]:~/cpp-ethereum-build$ make
    [ 62%] Built target ethereum
    Linking CXX executable testeth
    ../libethereum/libethereum.a(BlockChain.cpp.o): In function `eth::BlockChain::BlockChain(std::string, bool)':
    BlockChain.cpp:(.text+0x3a25): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::create_directory(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
    BlockChain.cpp:(.text+0x3a92): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::remove_all(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
    BlockChain.cpp:(.text+0x3b0f): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::remove_all(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
    ../libethereum/libethereum.a(State.cpp.o): In function `eth::State::openDB(std::string, bool)':
    State.cpp:(.text+0xc89): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::create_directory(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
    State.cpp:(.text+0xcd2): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::remove_all(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [test/testeth] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [test/CMakeFiles/testeth.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Does anyone know why this build fails?
  • j0bj0b Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    apt-get install libqt4-dev libminiupnpc-dev

this solved some issues for me regarding missing includes and such.

EDIT: saw that this now exists in the howto..
    It compiled fine before I updated git. Maybe I'm missing some flag for boost, but it already detects boost and if I dont modify CMakeLists.txt it gives an error as soon as the first boost include comes by. So it does detect boost, but then when linking the executable it doesn't.