GPUs on ebay

PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
GPUs are getting cheaper on ebay, looks like people might be beginning to bail. How long until we see the cheaper than retail prices?

Comments

• mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I'm guessing as coin prices drop so will gpu prices. Maybe it's a reflection of the current selloff.
  • PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    That would be great, I'd like to make a cheap 2nd rig
  • hknoenerhknoener Member Posts: 29
    Could you give an example? And is it getting cheaper already in US only? I really would like to upgrade my card, looking forward to price drops.
  • PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    For example, PowerColor Red Dragons 4GB were selling with a buyout of at least $400 last week. Now there are buyouts for $320. Also many other 4GB rx580's are being sold for a buyout under $400. It was previously nearly impossible to find one under $400.
  • praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
    The profitability of mining has dropped drastically in the last few weeks. A 480/580 used to pay itself off in under 2 months, now even at $200 it will take approximately 4 months.

I think you will continue to see the prices of the GPUs drop towards their original retail but they probably won't drop too much below it before better mining cards come out. That being said I think it is very risky to invest in mining right now as the cost of equipment has not dropped enough to compensate for the cliff that the price fell off of (50%) and the significantly higher hash rate.

It is my belief that Eth will stagnate, the ICO's of recent time have proved the network Eth uses is not reliable for a lot of real world use because it goes down when a small ICO (compared to real world application) occurs. Also people that have already invested in mining will continue to mine because of the sunk costs associated with mining. They will also want to get their money back.
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good points @praesto, and I mostly agree. However, my experience with mining Bitcoin back when gpu mining was still a thing tells me that what may look unprofitable at current ETH prices might look very profitable indeed looking back 3 or 4 years from now, provided you HOLD. Only time will tell.