Hopeful Investor

PonziUnitPonziUnit Member Posts: 15
I've always wanted to program and if I could get a do-over, learning to code would get done... but now I believe that with Ethereum, i will get that chance and without having to learn code. I've sketched in my mind a dozen websites which basically present the who, what, where, why and when of assorted topics allowing me to present suggestions based on relationships among those data bytes where I could craft stories, conclusions, recommendations, etc. I expect that I will be able to contract with Ethereum for plugins to keep my sites updated. I imagine I could solicit for opinions, facts, calculations and have them delivered to the blog's doorstep every morning. I could pay people ethereum (or whatever) to read my posts if I want too.

My job, screen the data and reject bad agents. I know something like this is already being done today by major corporations, but what makes it different is that i will be able to do it too.

What I hope to see developed is an easy interface to basically present what computations are on my buy list and then on an ongoing basis, shop for the latest updates. A template GUI where I could describe, save and then advertise my needs would be something that I'd find great use in.
Post edited by PonziUnit on

Comments

• JasperJasper ✭✭✭ Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    Screening is sort of like removing the reputation of an actor, it could be a part of a reputation system.. somehow, but i dont think reputation systems are worked out far enough for that. It would have to be able to resist both false accusations and people faking bad actors and then taking said actors down, for one. Maybe the job could be very 'open ended', i.e, you "just show up" and do stuff useful to the system and it pays accordingly automatically. (the input would be people needing strength in their reputation network)

These systems are very hard to figure out how to actually make them work, infact maybe not everything is possible, but they could be exceedingly efficient. Btw, i personally hope systems like that wouldnt really be owned by anyone. Though it might make decisions, giving voting power based on user roles and what is being decided.

Another aspect you talk about seem to be offering bounties for stuff.
  • PonziUnitPonziUnit Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for the link. I can see where contracts that are simply farming targets for bad actors would send my reputation in the tank.

I expect there will be a great demand for 'expert' agents who are ranked high by delivering on specific subject topics. Would not be surprised to hear of coders learning law, and lawyers learning code over the next few years. I think my goal would be to raise my reputation to be viewed as an expert agent on whatever topic, whether it be fishing trout at the jetties or casting a net for shrimp in the river.

Reputations are fickle, what is viewed as bad behavior by some might be viewed as good behavior by others. To solve this problem, I could imagine a community publishing ethics and behavioral bylaws that are layered upon a basic fundamental template.

Example, everyone stops at a red light. In our community if you are a car, you can turn right on red after stop. If you are a tractor trailer you can not turn right on red ever. If you are a motorcycle you can turn right on red or left on red after stop. One community might have a reputation for for complicated laws where the other has a reputation for simple laws. I could imagine communities pushing their ethics to devices as I travel through their borders.

By the way... this is one of my major concerns about blockchain tech, since the blockchain is borderless, I believe borders will become more important as communities realize they must publish how they intend to interact with blockchains or risk isolation. Even if the blockchain replaces government, it will be the blockchain that enforces borders at a level (especially down to the community/neighborhood) that perhaps wasn't attainable through humans alone. I'm afraid we'll lose privacy of shipping and it may someday be common to have ordinary packages inspected for contents delivered through the mail and common carriers. A plus to this is that government are likely to concentrate on consumption tax versus income tax as they simply can't track internet income but could, with strong borders, monitor consumption.

My community might replace the private (and often corrupt) red light camera business with Ethereum contracts. Basic byLaw, No victim, No crime. IF a picture is pulled from the red-light camera database then the ID of the individual pulling any particular picture is written into the blockchain providing a chain of evidence - who saw what when. If my car is talking to other cars and the highways, I want all of that conversation documented in the blockchain and I want to be informed of who accesses my data or even to get paid as my data is fed to others. After all, it was my flat tire that advised the highway department there was a pothole to fill, perhaps I should get a babbage or two for my community service.

Again, thanks for the reply and link. Also, yes, I would be very interested in paying bounties and that was my first instinct that drove me to be an early adopter.
    Reputations are subjective, and complex objects. Basically when we deal with some other person, we sortah work with our expectations what another user will do. I basically focus on reputation systems where each person has a reputation relatively to other, and presumably they will only work 'on one topic'. Different topics can inform each other only limitedly. If you can drive well, it doesnt mean you can use the bicycle, but it might mean you know how to follow the traffick rules.

A DAO will have its own subjective position in reputations, probably based on its creators, but somehow spreading out from there to create the decentralization. This could be threatening to its decentralization, if its viewpoint can be shifted to that of a single party that is a small part of the community.

(Dont really know how to respond the borders thing)
    Exciting times, thanks for the answers!
  • IspeedtooIspeedtoo Member Posts: 7
    Is it not possible to develop reputation system based on action, this means the subjective element is gone completely?
    edited September 2014
    VB's recent blog post about scalability is a good reminder that much of what I have in mind relies on microtransactions.

Regarding reputations systems, complexity and subjectivity, I expect that's just going to be a void that always needs filling and humans will gladly step up to the task. One measure of reputation could be dividends for example and we may have to simply embrace the purchased vote. :neutral_face:
    @Ispeedtoo yeah you can try to do that. However, for instance if you have an online market, you want to avoid people being able to gain reputation based on selling stuff to themselves and successfully handling that. Might be ways to set that up, though.

Subjective reputation avoids that because if you sell to yourself, you are just vouching to yourself, and others dont care unless they already vouched for you. A good system doesnt allow a person to have more 'reputation weight' by making fake people up and vouching for it.

However, a 'objective' reputation system might be able to avoid the problem, i dont know. As i said, even ina subjective system ultimately a DAO has its own position, and it could be tricky to protect that too.
    edited January 2015
    @jasper I found a tweet that best echoes my thoughts about this technology and my concern for 'borders':

Quote:

Short plan for pacifist revolution:

1. Make large-scale violence impossible by transitioning global economy to deflationary and tax-resistant mooney. Violent institutions will fall out into smaller violent actors.

2. Smaller-scale violence and fraud is cheaper to protect against using crypto-contracts and crowdfunded guards.

3. Since violent intervention is localized, many different places and people become free to innovate differently and learn from each other. Local security will quickly improve and push evil further to the ground.

- Oleg Andreev /quote

It will be interesting to watch communities as they realize the power they've gained by communicating directly with the rule of law as opposed to the inefficient system of intermediaries that is often flawed or even corrupt.