Vega Performance

Comments

• ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    mjmeans said:

ecs87 said:

I've obscured the program so that's most likely why it's detecting it as a virus (nearly every program I've obscured has set off false alarms in Avast, IE: http://elsonsmith.com/RIL). You can find the source for the C# program here: https://github.com/ecs87/AMD-GPU-Tool

In order for it to detect your card you need to hit "Refresh Device List" and it should come up in the dropdown. If it's not detecting your cards make sure that your drivers are installed properly and that you have a display connected to at least one of your cards (even a headless HDMI works).

Any Windows program is suspicious if: 1) Obscured (or obfuscated) and not signed with business Verisign code signing key; or, 2) Not fully open source (as this is). It is highly suspicious if both of these are the case considering this environment. Protect yourself. If you don't trust a software like this (as I don't) make absolutely sure that the PC you are running this on has no wallet or email software or any other software that could reveal you identity or passwords to a key logger and that the PC has no local network access to any other PC. If I ever do decide to try it out, I will use Microsoft Desktop Bridge and Desktop App Converter so that any registry or file system access is kept in a separate overlay space and enable clean uninstall (along with all file system and registry changes).

Feel free to disassemble it, proxy it (as it never even touches your network...you would know this if you ran it through a proxy), or just don't use it if you don't feel like it's safe. There's already plenty of people using it with zero issues. Most of my work is already on my Github and I don't really care about screwing anyone over given that I would probably be banned for doing so. I'm not just some random assclown with 2 posts who made a tool. I'm very active in this community and plan to stay that way.

I mentioned directly to you to please be patient for the c++ portion of the code to be sorted because of major changes I had planned in addition to working with AMD's driver division to sort out all the issues with their new drivers (and I'm interviewing for new jobs, and I still have a Samsung RIL tool to maintain and I have side gigs as a full stack webdev). Besides, the obfuscated file is the c# file which the source is already up for. The C++ file is not secured by any means. If you're detecting a virus through it, I'd like to see evidence please.

The more people that "beg" for the source code, the more that I'm thinking about keeping the legacy two-exe program open-sourced and the future single-exe program closed sourced. It's gotten ridiculous.
    Post edited by ecs87 on
  • FirstnameBeauFirstnameBeau Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2017
    Hmmmm, in some cases a packer will flag anti-virus signatures, but it really depends on the packer, and the anti-virus. Absence of a digital signature will almost always show up as a virus to AV...

In most cases, obfuscation actually bypasses anti-virus... for example, you can take a piece of known malware, flip maybe 4 hex values in it, recompile, and anti-virus won't have a clue.... This is actually why anti-virus sucks, because it's signature based and a change to the data containing the signature means no signature match, which means no virus detected...

If I were to test it out, I'd throw it in a VM with procmon/procdot and apateDNS.

Not that I suspect it's malware... it's just something I play with daily.
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Hmmmm, in some cases a packer will flag anti-virus signatures, but it really depends on the packer, and the anti-virus. Absence of a digital signature will almost always show up as a virus to AV...

In most cases, obfuscation actually bypasses anti-virus... for example, you can take a piece of known malware, flip maybe 4 hex values in it, recompile, and anti-virus won't have a clue.... This is actually why anti-virus sucks, because it's signature based and a change to the data containing the signature means no signature match, which means no virus detected...

If I were to test it out, I'd throw it in a VM with procmon/procdot and apateDNS.

Not that I suspect it's malware... it's just something I play with daily.

If there were a KNOWN, POPULAR dev that wanted to review my unorganized code for the community, I would have zero issues giving it to them (IE: wolf0, claymore, etc). For others with less than 100 posts, I have a feeling that they're just going to copy+paste the entire project and claim it for their own (I'm not saying that you-FirstnameBeau-would rip it off, but there might be others); which has happened with my previous projects that I did not obfuscate (IE: Samsung RIL Tool: http://elsonsmith.com/RIL which is now secured).

Besides, like I mentioned, the only secured executable is the C# executable which is open sourced. If the C++ executable is detected as a virus, like I previously mentioned, I would totally love to see evidence. Besides, like both you (FirstnameBeau) and I have mentioned, you can monitor your network for activity.

If there's evidence of my official tool accessing your network to send me your personal information from either of these EXEs, I'll send you all the ETH in my wallet.
  • FirstnameBeauFirstnameBeau Member Posts: 29
    I understand. Not to mention, a no namer with few post claiming your software is legit holds about as much weight as you creating another account and confirming your own work as clean/legit...
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    speed report:

CDM: 9.8
    Driver: 17.8.2
    Dual mining: Yes
    Cards: 6 vega 64 REF
    Eth 1min avg: 215MH
    drc: 15.3GH

Power at plug (240v plat evga psu) 1980Watt
    Settings:
    DCRI: 70
    Core State 7: 1402 (actual 1303 but varies per card) (set via wattman only)
    Mem: 1090 (set via wattman only)
    Power: 10% + (this depends on the card and can be set by claymore)
    Core Power (Auto for now)
    MEM power (auto for now)

Expected total daily income: £19 minus power cost.

Down side: Wattman is only tool that works setting mem and core correctly not much else works. Meaning resets and crashes result in reduced income and manual intervention needed to correct up the speeds. so not useful for warehouses.

ToDo: Power settings for core and mem...not sure they work yet though

Post edited by boysie on
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    boysie said:

speed report:

Settings:
    MEM power (auto for now)

Down side: Wattman is only tool that works setting mem and core correctly not much else works. Meaning resets and crashes result in reduced income and manual intervention needed to correct up the speeds. so not useful for warehouses.

This is very promising. With Claymore coming up with v9.9 in a few days, I wonder how much more these Vega FE's could do.

If only I have $6700 spare and could afford ROI in 11.5 months, i'd totally mess around with it.
  • CryptoGiraffeCryptoGiraffe Member Posts: 34
    I was on blockchain drivers with 2 Vega 64 pulling 600 watts from wall at 80MH. Switched to 17.8.2 and now am getting 77 MH with power draw of 400 at the wall.
  • ShnikesShnikes Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2017
    I'm at 108 mh/s at 650 620 watts at the wall currently - 3 vega 64s. That's ETH only though. Still playing with the power draw. I think I can push it lower.

To do list - 1) Get linux working

Edit: 620 Watts - forgot I had a 30 watt fan plugged in
    Post edited by Shnikes on

boysie said:

speed report:

Settings:
    MEM power (auto for now)

This is very promising. With Claymore coming up with v9.9 in a few days, I wonder how much more these Vega FE's could do.

If only I have $6700 spare and could afford ROI in 11.5 months, i'd totally mess around with it.
    to correct: these are vega 64's not FE's I do have an fe but its on the side gathering dust until I get more time to put it in some thing, the 64's took its rig. And if you mix an FE and 64's it sets al cards to use the pro software and no way to get back to the settings app to mod any thing. :( so mixing them is a no go.

Some good news my water loop has arrived for the fe and now I can play with this and push it harder.

With CDM v10.0 it's 1min avg is 216.1/16.3GH so not much of an improvement but a little.

Boysie
  • NussbaumNussbaum Member Posts: 6
    @boysie How do you accomplish to get over 2600 Mhs on dcr? I only get 600 mhs -.- . Also I have the problem that for both of my cards the maximum mem speed is 1025 mhz, otherwise the hashrate drops about 5-6 mhs.
    Nussbaum said:

@boysie How do you accomplish to get over 2600 Mhs on dcr? I only get 600 mhs -.- . Also I have the problem that for both of my cards the maximum mem speed is 1025 mhz, otherwise the hashrate drops about 5-6 mhs.

I've tried both 17.8.2 an the blockchain driver and it just simply uses at dcri 75 does 2.5GH for dcr. not doing anything special.
    check your mem is not sitting at 800. and power is at +10%

Let me know
  • GoldenbunipGoldenbunip Member Posts: 6
    Just a quick results so far post with my Vega64 Powercolour that I've had for two weeks.

Mem 1100 (any more instantly crashes)
    Clock -30%
    Vclock 1050
    Power limit +50%
    Temp 65C target - which it sits at.
    Blockchain drivers,
    Claymore 9.8v (nicehash version)
    Win 10 pro.

Getting a rock stead 44.01Mhas. Need to use a different tool to take the clock down more as dropping to -30% doesn't affect the hash rate. Showing just how memory limited the Vega core is with pure ETH mining. Also need to see if I can under volt more, as that voltage is good for a +5% overclock.

Looking forward to changing memory straps when the bios protection is hacked/bypassed as the core can do so much more.
  • ShnikesShnikes Member Posts: 22

Just a quick results so far post with my Vega64 Powercolour that I've had for two weeks.

Clock -30%
    Vclock 1050
    Power limit +50%
    Blockchain drivers,
    Win 10 pro.

Getting a rock stead 44.01Mhas. Need to use a different tool to take the clock down more as dropping to -30% doesn't affect the hash rate. Showing just how memory limited the Vega core is with pure ETH mining. Also need to see if I can under volt more, as that voltage is good for a +5% overclock.

Looking forward to changing memory straps when the bios protection is hacked/bypassed as the core can do so much more.

What's your power draw at the wall? +50% on Blockchain drivers has got to be heavy.

Clock -30%
    Vclock 1050
    Power limit +50%
    Blockchain drivers,
    Win 10 pro.

Try using these settings:

Mem 1100 power 900 (might be room for less not tried yet)
    Core Clock dynamic (click the bit that shows the %)
    State 6 set as min 852 (click column and select set as min state)
    State 7 set as max 867 (click column and select set as min state)
    state 6 power 800
    state 7 power 810
    Power limit +15% (some need 20%)
    Temp 65c
    Blockchain drivers,
    Claymore 10v
    I get a range of 44.0 to 44.37 depending on card.
    Power diff from idle to full mining 1800watt at wall.

Boysie

PS: still think dual mining is more profitable using the std non block chain driver but this does def have the cup for winning out right solo speed
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk London, UKMember Posts: 8
    Speed report:

Cards: 4x Vega 56
    Driver: Blockchain
    CDM: 10.0
    Dual Mining: No
    Mem: 950
    Core: Auto
    Power: -15%
    Idle: 40W

Eth: 156 MH/s
    Plug: 780W (240V)

• matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23

Speed report:

Just to double check, only 780W in total, right?
  • EthereumMinereuEthereumMinereu Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2017
    boysie said:

Clock -30%
    Vclock 1050
    Power limit +50%
    Blockchain drivers,
    Win 10 pro.

Try using these settings:

Mem 1100 power 900 (might be room for less not tried yet)
    State 7 set as max 867 (click column and select set as min state)
    state 6 power 800
    state 7 power 810
    Power limit +15% (some need 20%)
    Temp 65c
    Blockchain drivers,
    Claymore 10v
    I get a range of 44.0 to 44.37 depending on card.
    Power diff from idle to full mining 1800watt at wall.

Boysie

PS: still think dual mining is more profitable using the std non block chain driver but this does def have the cup for winning out right solo speed
    Im getting 44.2 MH/s with this setting
    Post edited by EthereumMinereu on
    matricea said:

Speed report:

Just to double check, only 780W in total, right?
    Yep...I calculate about 185W per card currently.

edited September 2017
    tried the new 17.9.1 driver

Mem 1100 power 850
    State 7 1402
    state 6 power 800
    state 7 power 801
    Power limit -30%
    Temp target 65c (claymore)
    fan speed 1500 (that's low)
    17.9.1 driver
    Claymore 10v
    I get 38.5MH (not dual)
    Power diff from idle to full mining 156watt!!!!!. <yes that's correct.

as you know dual mining will require more power

Mem 1100 power 850
    State 7 1402
    state 6 power 800
    state 7 power 801
    Power limit -10%
    Temp target 65c (claymore)
    fan speed
    17.9.1 driver
    Claymore 10v
    I get 35.6MH/2.7GH dcr
    Power diff from idle to full mining 227watt!!!!!. <yes that's correct.

edit: I also noticed you can now safely live change the settings with the miner running. which is handy for tweaking.
  • BillhingeBillhinge Member Posts: 20
    Finally got 3 vega frontier to work on my gigabyte z170x-ud5 th mobo (fussy pcie slots), using blockchain driver, no wattman, no afterburner using claymore 10 dual mining settings only, was initially getting 3x42.2 but now throttled back to 3x37.5 at 65C. (using core=1000 mem=1102)

Sorry I have a power meter in case anyone asks but have mislaid it, I'll try to find it. Possibly can improve with bit of tweaking, set temp max 69. Going to leave it running to see how stable it is

• LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2017
    Edit: I switched to gaming mode after rebooting several times without any luck. But after a second system crash, my Vega FE is back to mining around 34MH/s. I'm mostly leaving this here in case this happens to someone else or if someone could set my mind as to why this would happen.

I've been running my Vega FE on Blockchain drivers in Win10 core clocked at 991/900v, mem clocked at 1025/900v getting 31-33MH/s. I was recently playing Doom (2016) while not mining and got a ton of graphical glitches. It didn't sound like it was under stress, so I let it rest a bit and continued playing, but my rig crashed and now I'm only getting 17MH/s with the same set up. Wattman did say it reset settings, but I haven't accessed Wattman since I got an FE and I believe it's reset several times since then. Thoughts on how to diagnose?
    Post edited by Lythimus on
    Lythimus said:

Edit: I switched to gaming mode after rebooting several times without any luck. But after a second system crash, my Vega FE is back to mining around 34MH/s. I'm mostly leaving this here in case this happens to someone else or if someone could set my mind as to why this would happen.

I've been running my Vega FE on Blockchain drivers in Win10 core clocked at 991/900v, mem clocked at 1025/900v getting 31-33MH/s. I was recently playing Doom (2016) while not mining and got a ton of graphical glitches. It didn't sound like it was under stress, so I let it rest a bit and continued playing, but my rig crashed and now I'm only getting 17MH/s with the same set up. Wattman did say it reset settings, but I haven't accessed Wattman since I got an FE and I believe it's reset several times since then. Thoughts on how to diagnose?

how are you switching to gaming mode, I've almost but given up with my fe coz as soon as I show it any thing other than the very first driver package the "gamin mode" option disappears from the blue pro settings, and then when its installed with other vega 64's I'm locked out of the gaming mode settings app until I disable the FE...getting quite frustrated by it, but also hoping you who seem to stil have access to it can enlighten me.
    Billhinge said:

Finally got 3 vega frontier to work on my gigabyte z170x-ud5 th mobo (fussy pcie slots), using blockchain driver, no wattman, no afterburner using claymore 10 dual mining settings only, was initially getting 3x42.2 but now throttled back to 3x37.5 at 65C. (using core=1000 mem=1102)

Sorry I have a power meter in case anyone asks but have mislaid it, I'll try to find it. Possibly can improve with bit of tweaking, set temp max 69. Going to leave it running to see how stable it is

same question to you? how are you getting access while running the blockchain drivers to gamin mode to mod the settings
    boysie said:

Billhinge said:

same question to you? how are you getting access while running the blockchain drivers to gamin mode to mod the settings
    I'm not, I'm just running claymore using the command line options in the bat file. I found afterburner beta 16, trixx didn't work properly and no wattman on blockchain drivers. Anyway there was a problem in that hash rate dropped to zero after 7 or 8 hours, need to fix that, no error message
    Billhinge said:

boysie said:

Billhinge said:

I'm not, I'm just running claymore using the command line options in the bat file. I found afterburner beta 16, trixx didn't work properly and no wattman on blockchain drivers. Anyway there was a problem in that hash rate dropped to zero after 7 or 8 hours, need to fix that, no error message
    to clarify, I set core and mem clock, fan speed, temp etc in claymore only
  • MagwanakMagwanak Member Posts: 2

Speed report:

Hello,

can you please share the model of your vega 56 ( Sapphire or MSI) and the manufacturer of the Memory.

I just received mine and i tried some tests. but in the end i reached only 35 with 250w from the wall. I used the 17.8.2 driver because i had some issues with the blockchain driver ( my screen keeps going on and off)

Magwanak said:

Speed report:

Hello,

can you please share the model of your vega 56 ( Sapphire or MSI) and the manufacturer of the Memory.

I just received mine and i tried some tests. but in the end i reached only 35 with 250w from the wall. I used the 17.8.2 driver because i had some issues with the blockchain driver ( my screen keeps going on and off)

PowerColor, and memory seems to be Samsung according to GPU-Z 2.4.0. If I recall, I gained a around 3 MH/s moving from 17.8.2 to blockchain. Have you lowered your power limit?
  • MagwanakMagwanak Member Posts: 2

Magwanak said:

Speed report:

Hello,

PowerColor, and memory seems to be Samsung according to GPU-Z 2.4.0. If I recall, I gained a around 3 MH/s moving from 17.8.2 to blockchain. Have you lowered your power limit?
    yes i tried to lower the power limit. I set it to -15%, if i go beyeond i loose some hashrate.
    i need to find a way to get the blockchain driver to work
    I guess this driver is just buggy, every time i install it i get a BSOD just after boot and i couldn't even boot in safemode to delete it. FYI, i'm using windows 7
    i managed to get 37mh with 155w (GPU only) with the 17.9.01 ( memory at 950mhz and core at 1200mhz) so i'll stick with that until i find a solution for the blockchain driver
    Magwanak said:

Magwanak said:

Speed report:

Hello,

yes i tried to lower the power limit. I set it to -15%, if i go beyeond i loose some hashrate.
    i need to find a way to get the blockchain driver to work
    I guess this driver is just buggy, every time i install it i get a BSOD just after boot and i couldn't even boot in safemode to delete it. FYI, i'm using windows 7
    i managed to get 37mh with 155w (GPU only) with the 17.9.01 ( memory at 950mhz and core at 1200mhz) so i'll stick with that until i find a solution for the blockchain driver
    Perhaps it's a Windows 7 thing. I'm considering flashing one of my cards to Vega 64 bios this weekend...i'm hoping memory will then overclock further.
  • LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2017
    boysie said:

Lythimus said:

how are you switching to gaming mode, I've almost but given up with my fe coz as soon as I show it any thing other than the very first driver package the "gamin mode" option disappears from the blue pro settings, and then when its installed with other vega 64's I'm locked out of the gaming mode settings app until I disable the FE...getting quite frustrated by it, but also hoping you who seem to stil have access to it can enlighten me.
    Edit: Man, I'm all over the place. Apparently I FINALLY have access to WattMan (first time since the FE was installed) and I think it was pulling some settings I had for my RX480. Regardless, I reset WattMan, and am back to 33MH/s and still have ProMode/GamingMode options.

I installed a few different drivers trying to get Premiere Pro working properly with it, but ended up using the Blockchain drivers. I don't have any non-FE Vegas (I do have a GTX 1060 in the second slot). I'm not sure about the gaming mode thing though. When I first installed the drivers, I saw the gaming mode feature, then I ran the auto detector, which I don't believe FE people are supposed to do, and the gaming mode disappeared, then I installed the FE drivers again (I can't recall if gaming mode reappeared then), but I definitely got the gaming mode option back when I switched to blockchain drivers.

I can tell you that my machine has crashed between 30% and 50% of me switching between gaming and pro mode, so I generally just leave it in Pro mode since I don't fully understand the difference. Maybe error code correction?

Let me know if you want me to email you any log files or anything like that. I'm sorry you're having troubles. My card is back down to 17MH/s for some reason, so I'm starting to feel you.