Vega Performance

Comments

• boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    currently getting 37.4 avg using the following mem settings 1105/900 and the following for watttool

[General]
    NoGUI=0
    [Adapter]
    Index=0
    [GPU]
    Mode=Manual
    P1_VID=900
    P2_VID=950
    P3_VID=950
    P4_VID=950
    P5_VID=975
    P6_VID=1000
    P7_VID=1050
    P1_CLK=991
    P2_CLK=1138
    P3_CLK=1269
    P4_CLK=1348
    P5_CLK=1440
    P6_CLK=1528
    P7_CLK=1600

[Fan]
    Mode=Manual
    MinRPM=4000
    MaxRPM=4900
    TargetTemp=80
    [Power]
    Mode=Manual
    MaxTemp=85
    PowerTarget=22
    [Memory]
    Mode=Manual
    P3_CLK=1105
    P3_VID=900

memory wont set with watttool as it using a different state unless some one can work out how to use it.

Boysie
  • LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    Boysie, What are you using to set your memory bandwidth? ATIflash?
    boysie said:

currently getting 37.4 avg using the following mem settings 1105/900 and the following for watttool

memory wont set with watttool as it using a different state unless some one can work out how to use it.

Boysie

• ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    @boysie check out my AMD GPU tool. You should be able to get to any plevel you need to: http://elsonsmith.com/amd-gpu-tool/
  • LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    ecs87 said:

@boysie check out my AMD GPU tool. You should be able to get to any plevel you need to: http://elsonsmith.com/amd-gpu-tool/

I haven't heard of AMD GPU tool, so I downloaded it, kicked off my internet, and ran it in Sandboxie. It didn't seem like it detected my card, and on top of that Avira flagged it as HEUR/APC Cloud, which is a catch all virus behavioral pattern. Obviously there's plenty of room for false positives in these types of scenarios, but can anyone speak to AMD GPU tool's legitimacy?
    I've obscured the program so that's most likely why it's detecting it as a virus (nearly every program I've obscured has set off false alarms in Avast, IE: http://elsonsmith.com/RIL). You can find the source for the C# program here: https://github.com/ecs87/AMD-GPU-Tool

In order for it to detect your card you need to hit "Refresh Device List" and it should come up in the dropdown. If it's not detecting your cards make sure that your drivers are installed properly and that you have a display connected to at least one of your cards (even a headless HDMI works).
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @ecs87 it detected my AMD Vega card, but when I tried to set memclocks with it, the card just drops to super low clock rates until the machine is rebooted.
    Does it do the same thing under WattMan as well or not (using the same clock and voltage settings)?
  • zuzuxzuzux Member Posts: 40
    news in fe ppl find out that amd cut hbm2 bandwith 50% in drivers
    god know why (wink rx vega that will kill nvidia ) ...
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    ecs87 said:

Does it do the same thing under WattMan as well or not (using the same clock and voltage settings)?

WattMan didn't seem to want to set memclock at all.
    work said:

ecs87 said:

Interesting...either people were right and the mem clock can't be set much higher than stock or (more likely) AMD needs to update their ADL. I'm currently using version 10: http://developer.amd.com/display-library-adl-sdk/ which might not support the Vega.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    These Vega GPUs run a lot better downvolted, which I did on Linux. Did some VBIOS spelunking, too. Linux drivers seem to have an issue crippling Ethash, though.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited July 2017
    Wolf0 said:

These Vega GPUs run a lot better downvolted, which I did on Linux. Did some VBIOS spelunking, too. Linux drivers seem to have an issue crippling Ethash, though.

So does Fiji.. HBM memory... :)
    Heliox said:

Wolf0 said:

So does Fiji.. HBM memory... :)
    Hah - you're funny. I meant 3MH/s bad.
    agreed down volting them allows for better power/heat and for the gpu clock to achieve @100% rather than dropping down and up. until we get a better driver I'm not sure its worth toying to much given the landscape will change so quickly. Although no idea when that would be amd dont have a good record here. The next one could be worse :)
    boysie said:

agreed down volting them allows for better power/heat and for the gpu clock to achieve @100% rather than dropping down and up. until we get a better driver I'm not sure its worth toying to much given the landscape will change so quickly. Although no idea when that would be amd dont have a good record here. The next one could be worse :)

The driver is open source; I'm working on it, although not sure I have enough info to fix it.
  • hero420hero420 Member Posts: 4
    Wolf0 said:

boysie said:

The driver is open source; I'm working on it, although not sure I have enough info to fix it.
    Waiting for your update Wolf0. Do you have any numbers in the improved performance?
    hero420 said:

Wolf0 said:

boysie said:

Waiting for your update Wolf0. Do you have any numbers in the improved performance?
    I fixed pp_table in the ROCK-Kernel-Driver ( https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCK-Kernel-Driver ) - but I think AMD will have to fix the memory management issue.
    work said:

ecs87 said:

You can set it under Linux!
  • buuhh99buuhh99 Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    I am running two completely tuned down to minimum clock speed on the core and power limit with mem at 900 and they are more efficient than the 480s. Trying to get them even more efficient but waiting for better drivers. Really what I want is to boost my mem clock and keep my core clock down. I have found core clock to be the most important variable for power and mem most important for speed.
  • magarci4magarci4 Member Posts: 8
    Hi! Claymore just release V.9.8 that support Vega cards

Claymore's Dual Ethereum + Decred/Siacoin/Lbry/Pascal AMD+NVIDIA GPU Miner.
    =========================

Latest version is v9.8:

- added Vega cards support (ASM mode).
    - added fan/OC support for 17.7.2 (and higher) drivers.
    - fixed issue with -ttli and -ttdcr option for Nvidia cards.
    - improved support for systems with more than 10 GPUs, check readme for "-di" and "-mode" options description for details.
    - a few minor bug fixes and improvements.
    its working on 9.8 but not any better than ethminer was, it maybe less stable actually and use a little more power causing it to thermal throttle and slow down a little. the card suffers badley from this. drivers and one day a bios mod will only time this card really improves.
    Thanks for the info and for keeping us updated @boysie
    I'm looking at putting a water block on it to see if the thermal issue can be over come. but its quite pricey but its fun right :)
    It will be nice to see how far you can push the card with the new drivers and the water block. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-radeon-vega
  • homerklezhomerklez Member Posts: 15
    Apparently the new Vega RX 64 is rumored to hash at over 70MH/s.

Saw it here:
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2063304.0

That would be interesting at $499 for more than double the performance of most current high end graphics cards.

Article direct link
    https://videocardz.com/71591/rumor-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-to-be-great-for-mining

GPU Comparison
    https://videocardz.com/71430/amd-announces-radeon-rx-vega-64-series
    so I spotted this also and I'm not sure why they think this, I spotted the mem speed on the new cards was listed at 1880 speed, but the FE is 945, so maybe this is a source for hype, but you can get the FE to 1100 stable and it will hit 36 but thermal issue brings it back down to 30-33 so god knows what running at 1880 will do for the thermal issue if indeed this info is correct. They may have this sorted now but I will be staying away from the ref blower on these very power hungry cards and waiting for the AIB versions with proper coolers. Asus made the FE and I gess that's why they are the only and first to have an own custom version with 3 fan ROG STRIX version out on the same day as all the others but all the others have the ref blower. This might be the first card that needs water cooling as std just to cope with the power/heat usage. time will tell, new drivers are needed first as underclocking the core doesn't work right now and that's a big factor
  • PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Has anyone read the news articles with rumors that the new 64 Vega cards will have 70-100 MH/s for Ethereum. Do you think those can be true?
    wishful thinking lol
    boysie said:

so I spotted this also and I'm not sure why they think this, I spotted the mem speed on the new cards was listed at 1880 speed, but the FE is 945, so maybe this is a source for hype, but you can get the FE to 1100 stable and it will hit 36 but thermal issue brings it back down to 30-33 so god knows what running at 1880 will do for the thermal issue if indeed this info is correct. They may have this sorted now but I will be staying away from the ref blower on these very power hungry cards and waiting for the AIB versions with proper coolers. Asus made the FE and I gess that's why they are the only and first to have an own custom version with 3 fan ROG STRIX version out on the same day as all the others but all the others have the ref blower. This might be the first card that needs water cooling as std just to cope with the power/heat usage. time will tell, new drivers are needed first as underclocking the core doesn't work right now and that's a big factor

Underclocking/undervolting core works just find on Linux :D
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    I ordered one rx vega 64 :)
    They said just couple of days.