<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 22:40:48 May 05, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Trying without success to sync with geth

buxofpbuxofp Member Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Geth - Go Implementation
Hello,

I'm a new user intersted by ether universe. But i am ver surprised by difficulty to join the blockchain network. I'm working with Ubuntu 16.04, i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 8Go RAM and Seagate ST95005620AS. 100ko/s in upload, 800ko/s in download.

History: I started to sync with geth (go implementation). After one week of syncing and 2'000'000 block left to sync, my syncing block rate was 1 block every 30s. After read some topics, i deleted my chaindata folder and restart syncing with parameters --fast and --cache=2048. After two day of scync, same 1 block every 30 seconds. I deleted chaindata again and restart ... now i have this issue:
err="leveldb/table: corruption on data-block (pos=783749): checksum mismatch, want=0xe2cae6af got=0xcc97e598 [file=027201.ldb]"
I have two question:
  • It is normal to be very painful to sync ?
  • The corruption error if from logicial or hardware problem ?
Regards,
Bux.

Comments

• danxdanx californiaMember Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I'm not sure what that error is, but syncing geth is usually painful and takes some time, but with your internet speed it will take an insane amount of time, unless you didn't mean 800k download.

If you're trying to sync it just to mine, you should use a mining pool. Geth isn't needed. You can setup an online wallet, download some simple mining software, and get started. Can be mining in a matter of like 10 minutes or less. If you're wanting to use geth and sync to solo mine, unless you have a good amount of GPU's, it will take a long time with a single gpu to mine a block. Talking 4-6 months if it runs non stop.