MSI Z270 A PRO with 6 GPU (Rx480/470)

fveilleuxfveilleux Member Posts: 15
edited June 2017 in Mining
First of, dont get drawn into all the posts about the MSI Z170 or the ASUS 270, they dont match the steps needed to the MSI Z270 to work.

So after a freaking lot of lost hours and airs and keyboards that died due to frustration reason... here is the holy grale of steps for this motherboards to have a mining rigs that is descent.

Connect only 1 GPU (to avoid enabling the OnboardVGA in windows, this takes up pci slots in the OS and prevent 6 gpus)
Go to the MSI website and get the latest BIOS and update it if you did not
Startup everything
In the BIOS, goto :
  • Advanced PCI : Enable Above 4GB and Set speed to PEG 2
  • Advanced something : Disable Onboard Audio
  • Boot options : Enable Windows 8,10.
  • Boot options : Ehoose Fast Boot
Instal Windows in UEFI mode :
  • Get your windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.
  • Download Rufus tool : downloads.tomsguide.com/Rufus,0301-53760.html
  • Launch Rufus : Select ISO Image
    • Select GPT Partrition scheme for UEFI
    • Select NTFS, assert 4096K cluster
    • Press Start.
  • ps: if you dont install Win10 in UEFI mode, you get black screen when enabling 6 gpu ! Tnx me for 2 days of loosing time on that
Plug your thumbdrive and start install Win10
Once in windows, disable Update from the services.cpl app and P2P updates with this reg key :
  • launch cmd.exe
  • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
  • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > NUL 2>&1
  • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DODownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > NUL 2>&1

Set Virtual Mem Size tp 16 gig
Install ONLY Chipset from MSI
shutdown
Plug ALL gpu and boot up (6 gpu should appear as Generic VGA something in device manager)
Unpack last Drivers (17.4.x)
unpack 16.11.5
copy ALL of 16.11.5\...\WT6A_INF\B309089 into 17.4.x\...\WT6A_INF\B318223
Then in Device Manager do "Update Drivers" on on first disabled card to 17.4.x\...\WT6A_INF\B318223
Wait for all GPU to setup themselves (You may have to reboot a couple of times)

For the beer, send love to :
BTC 19NYfdGuJDA8XcCQGJxfGqoWdzAq9XUBhQ
ETH 0x927196b6febb570e44c4f785b5c563dea2579415
DASH XjiCNRRq2CeSBce8U3Z118y2Y91Qtycag9
ZEC t1Pgkd5qBwNgSJYgt4TDCZgv9AKCLM8ANhW
Decred Dsk19zYP4CvLBq5RGkrzUXQbDQEFsXuBRbv
Post edited by fveilleux on

Comments

• gitroooomangitrooooman Member Posts: 1
    Great stuff, thanks.

I got 5 GPUs running on it now. I don't think I'll get an MSi board again though. This was a huge pain. The Asus Z270-a was so much easier to work when I built my first rig. I would have paid the extra few bucks for another one of those if i knew the MSI z270-a pro was going to be such a hassle.
  • benedictus15benedictus15 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this wonderful guide! May I ask if you have issues when you started mining?
    e.g. rig restart/freeze, very slow mouse hover etc.

I manage to make my 6 GPUs installed but having issues when mining. I always get error code 43 on my GPU on PCIE slot 2 everytime I restart my RIG.

Here's my setup:
    Mobo: MSI Z270 Gaming M5
    CPU: G3930
    RAM: 4GB
    PSU: 1000W 80 plus Gold
    GPU: 6x Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp!

Thanks again!
  • Odys1981Odys1981 Member Posts: 1
    Hi and congratulations for the guidance. Can I ask if I can use this motherboard with the same settings with gtx1060?
    Thank you
  • omjanuomjanu Member Posts: 64
    Will this work with 1 570 and 4 580
  • omjanuomjanu Member Posts: 64
    fveilleux said:

First of, dont get drawn into all the posts about the MSI Z170 or the ASUS 270, they dont match the steps needed to the MSI Z270 to work.

So after a freaking lot of lost hours and airs and keyboards that died due to frustration reason... here is the holy grale of steps for this motherboards to have a mining rigs that is descent.

Connect only 1 GPU (to avoid enabling the OnboardVGA in windows, this takes up pci slots in the OS and prevent 6 gpus)
    Go to the MSI website and get the latest BIOS and update it if you did not
    Startup everything
    In the BIOS, goto :

• Advanced PCI : Enable Above 4GB and Set speed to PEG 2
    • Advanced something : Disable Onboard Audio
    • Boot options : Enable Windows 8,10.
    • Boot options : Ehoose Fast Boot
    Instal Windows in UEFI mode :
    • Get your windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.
    • Download Rufus tool : downloads.tomsguide.com/Rufus,0301-53760.html
    • Launch Rufus : Select ISO Image
      • Select GPT Partrition scheme for UEFI
      • Select NTFS, assert 4096K cluster
      • Press Start.
    • ps: if you dont install Win10 in UEFI mode, you get black screen when enabling 6 gpu ! Tnx me for 2 days of loosing time on that
    Plug your thumbdrive and start install Win10
    Once in windows, disable Update from the services.cpl app and P2P updates with this reg key :
    • launch cmd.exe
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f > NUL 2>&1
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > NUL 2>&1
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config" /v "DODownloadMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > NUL 2>&1

Set Virtual Mem Size tp 16 gig
    Install ONLY Chipset from MSI
    shutdown
    Plug ALL gpu and boot up (6 gpu should appear as Generic VGA something in device manager)
    Unpack last Drivers (17.4.x)
    unpack 16.11.5
    copy ALL of 16.11.5\...\WT6A_INF\B309089 into 17.4.x\...\WT6A_INF\B318223
    Then in Device Manager do "Update Drivers" on on first disabled card to 17.4.x\...\WT6A_INF\B318223
    Wait for all GPU to setup themselves (You may have to reboot a couple of times)

For the beer, send love to :
    BTC 19NYfdGuJDA8XcCQGJxfGqoWdzAq9XUBhQ
    ETH 0x927196b6febb570e44c4f785b5c563dea2579415
    DASH XjiCNRRq2CeSBce8U3Z118y2Y91Qtycag9
    ZEC t1Pgkd5qBwNgSJYgt4TDCZgv9AKCLM8ANhW
    Decred Dsk19zYP4CvLBq5RGkrzUXQbDQEFsXuBRbv
    Will this work with 1 570 and 4 580 cards