Gigabyte 580 GAMING 8G any good? What about XFX GTS XXX? Also, 4vs8gb?

NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
edited June 2017 in Mining
I can get Gigabyte 580 8GB on Tuesday for about €280. But I'm not sure how good these cards are? I heard a lot of bad things about Gigabyte.
I can also get XFX GTS XXX 8GB for about €295, but that one's not in stock until Friday (and costs more).
Another one ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 8GB for €300 in stock now.

And I know there are discussions between 4gb vs 8gb but I can't seem to find a definitive answer here. A lot of 8GB 580 seem to be clocked to 8ghz while 4gb are at 7ghz. Can those 4gb 7ghz cards get to the same level as 8ghz 8gb cards?
What do I lose by going 570 instead? Is it a big deal or if I could choose between those should I go for 570 or 580? There are no 8gb 570 here, only 4gb.

And finally, I read about 4gb soon not being enough for mining, BS or is there something to it? And if so, how long until 4gb are "useless"?

Comments

• iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    At this point, any card you can find at a reasonable price will be good. That seems a bit high for that card, but not super expensive. I look at what the core clock is factory clocked to, and that gives some indication as to how well the card should do, but this is not a silver bullet.

The 470/570 series will hash at similar rates to the 480/580 series as well. You can get about 29mh/s max with 470/570, and some 480/580 will get up to 32. Depending on the card, quality, memory type, and how good you are at optimizing.

The 4gb and 8gb will hash at the same rates. The only downside to 4gb is that they will at some point become obsolete for Eth mining because of the DAG size. That's why 2GB cards won't work for mining Eth. 3GB cards still work (nVidia 1060 3GB). The 4GB limit will be hit around mid-September 2019.

https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-current-dag-size-when-do-we-expect-to-hit-gpu-limits
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39

At this point, any card you can find at a reasonable price will be good. That seems a bit high for that card, but not super expensive. I look at what the core clock is factory clocked to, and that gives some indication as to how well the card should do, but this is not a silver bullet.

The 470/570 series will hash at similar rates to the 480/580 series as well. You can get about 29mh/s max with 470/570, and some 480/580 will get up to 32. Depending on the card, quality, memory type, and how good you are at optimizing.

The 4gb and 8gb will hash at the same rates. The only downside to 4gb is that they will at some point become obsolete for Eth mining because of the DAG size. That's why 2GB cards won't work for mining Eth. 3GB cards still work (nVidia 1060 3GB). The 4GB limit will be hit around mid-September 2019.

https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-current-dag-size-when-do-we-expect-to-hit-gpu-limits

Thanks for taking time to write a detailed reply.
    470/480 are impossible to find, even used, unless it's very overpriced, I'm not that desperate and will do fine with a bit higher electricity cost :)

So 4gb will become obsolete in mid 2019. Maybe it would be better to go for 580 4gb then since by mid 2019 I will probably replace those cards. And Ether might not even be mineable by then.