Powercolor Red Dragon RX 480 8gb died from accidentally installing RX 580 drivers

CoinbeastCoinbeast Member Posts: 20
I kid you not. I am in the process of changing all of my rigs from Simplmining.net over to windows 10.

my MB is the Asrock Z97 extreme4 which I am a big fan of as I have had zero dramas with them.

In this rig I have 4x Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8GB (non plus) and 2x Powercolor Red Dragon RX 480 8gb. I accidentally installed the RX 580 drivers and thought that it would nothing more than an inconvenience to reinstall the correct drivers and start mining. Well I was wrong, the Sapphire cards were fine but the powercolor cards work in windows but the GPU's can't be detected by claymores.

MSI Afterburner, watttools etc don't show any clock speeds in the display. GPU-Z does though.

There have been no BIOS mods on these cards. I have checked in Polaris editor to see if it all looks legit and everything seems fine.

Comments

• CoinbeastCoinbeast Member Posts: 20
    So I did what I would expect any normal minded person would do and reinstall windows.

This resulted in all my cards becoming dead.

Unbelievable, yes. Moral of the story. Don't install windows 10 with different GPU's. Don't install windows with more than one GPU to be safe.
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    What do you mean died? Not working? Broken?
    I find it hard to believe that installing 580 drivers broke your 480. Doesn't the same driver support all AMD cards?
    Also, why would Windows 10 installation break your cards?
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Coinbeast said:

So I did what I would expect any normal minded person would do and reinstall windows.

Unbelievable, yes. Moral of the story. Don't install windows 10 with different GPU's. Don't install windows with more than one GPU to be safe.

What does Device Manager show? Error code 43? :)
  • eth_shiftyeth_shifty Member Posts: 52
    Nothing that you described would break all four cards. If your risers or PSU caused a short, maybe, but you should see if they are detected in the BIOS. If not, try booting with just one card. Do you have the ability to swap card to another mobo?
    Jukebox said:

Coinbeast said:

What does Device Manager show? Error code 43? :)
    Yes, error code 43. I am in as much disbelief as anyone. This just does not happen.
    Coinbeast said:

Yes, error code 43. I am in as much disbelief as anyone. This just does not happen.

Now I have only one solution - do not mix 4xx and 5xx cards in one rig, install them separately.
    What you need to do after:
    1. Clean your drivers with AMD Cleanup utility.
    2. Install new drivers. (I use 17.5.2)
    3. Use atikmdag-patcher tool, if you still see error 43 code on some cards after driver installation. Reboot.
    4. Mine.
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    dude some of my windows rigs have four or more different types of cards (one of mine has a 7970, 290, 390x, 480, and 580) and it works just fine
    I managed to get one of the powercolor cards running in a different MB with simplemining OS but it still won't work in windows.

I got Three of the Sapphire's running by manually updating the driver in device manager. No luck with the other two.

Perhaps a riser shorted out and fried two out of the three connected to the same modular cable?

dude some of my windows rigs have four or more different types of cards (one of mine has a 7970, 290, 390x, 480, and 580) and it works just fine

:)
    If it's not happened to you - doesn't mean that it's not happened to nobody.

I just said how I fixed similar problem.
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    @Jukebox I think @wirelessnet2 was speaking more to his "Moral of the story..." blanket statement. OP is having an issue but nothing that would make those blanket statements good advice for people generally speaking. But hopefully your fix for him works.

Question for OP - can you put less than 3 risers on a molex cable? I like to never do more than 2.
    Techman34 said:

@Jukebox I think @wirelessnet2 was speaking more to his "Moral of the story..." blanket statement. OP is having an issue but nothing that would make those blanket statements good advice for people generally speaking. But hopefully your fix for him works.

Question for OP - can you put less than 3 risers on a molex cable? I like to never do more than 2.

Code 43 is driver problem (often happens when card with modified BIOS fails driver signature check), not power delivery problem.

But anyway two risers on one molex/sata cable - good recommendation.
    Jukebox said:

Coinbeast said:

Now I have only one solution - do not mix 4xx and 5xx cards in one rig, install them separately.
    What you need to do after:
    1. Clean your drivers with AMD Cleanup utility.
    2. Install new drivers. (I use 17.5.2)
    3. Use atikmdag-patcher tool, if you still see error 43 code on some cards after driver installation. Reboot.
    4. Mine.
    Thanks for your help. I have had some success with this method so far. I can get three sapphires running together, I dropped the fourth sapphire so that rules that one out. I replaced it with a gigabyte rx 480.

I put each card in one at a time and persevered with atikmdag-patcher until they worked in device manager. Then claymores said that there were no cards present. I now just have the sapphires running on their own.

I am convinced that the sapphires just don't want to cooperate with the other cards in windows. I discovered that the powercolor cards have been bios modded which explains why they didn't work at first.

All the others are stock out of the box. So once I get home from work I will get the gigabyte card running with the sapphires and flash the powercolors back to stock bios and try that.

I am a bit disappointing that I dropped one of the sapphires. But if it were so easy to mine, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be profitable.
    edited June 2017
    Coinbeast said:

What mo-bo do you use? Some Asrock and Asus mo-bo's need to set "Above 4G decoding" BIOS option to "enabled" to run more than 2 cards. At least my Asus Prime Z270-P neeeds it.

I am convinced that the sapphires just don't want to cooperate with the other cards in windows.

Maybe problem somewhere else, I run sapphire and gigabyte 480's in one rig.
    Techman34 said:

I meant the modular cable from the PSU, I use one sata power for each riser, I have 3 sata power to each modular cable
    I have moved the sapphires and hte gigabyte cards over to a mb which I can't get any more than 4 cards running in and am in the process of migrating the powercolor cards to this pc, my main one. Its weird though because I do all of my bios modding on this pc and they were really hard to get going again in this pc.

I had to flash the factory bios back onto them to get them to work at all. The one that I have in this pc now I have had to clock the memory right down to 1700mhz just to get it to not crash (standard is 2000). I am slowly raising it up to see how high I can get it.

These powercolor cards were the best I had up until now. Got a solid 28 mh/s stable, never had to think about them up until this incident.