Why is no one mining on GTX 1060 3GB? I'm getting 23 Mh/s from one oc'ed card

skyworxxskyworxx Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is a caveat that I am not seeing in regards to GTX 1060 3GB cards.

Here in Australia they are cheaper than RX 570 (no 470 stock left), they use slightly less energy (tbc) and deliver roughly the same performance es the RX 570.

I bought one card today as a test and I oc'ed the memory to +1000Mhz. Card has been running at 23 Mh/s all afternoon, no rejected shares.

Comments

• SharkownSharkown Member Posts: 30
    maybe because they are slow at mining? i have 12 rx 570 they all run at 24.5mh stock 29 Mh when OC
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    which mining software and version and nvidia drivers (version) are you using? Just curious.
  • skyworxxskyworxx Member Posts: 4
    I was testing with the latest claymore miner and latest nvidia driver on Windows 10.
  • skyworxxskyworxx Member Posts: 4
    I tested the power consumption.

The whole rig uses 250w with one RX 570 (no undervolting) and uses 200W with the 1060 3GB (no undervolting).

So thats 50W less for 2-3Mh/s less or 7M/s less if your 570 is modded and/or oc'ed.

with these numbers I am getting

$115.20 profit at 0.13c per kw/h for the 1060 3GB
    https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=23&HashingUnit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=200&CostPerkWh=.13

$122.17 profit at 0.13c per kw/h for the RX570 stock
    https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=25&HashingUnit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=250&CostPerkWh=.13

So ya, the RX570 is slightly more profitable. The 1060 is currently $20 cheaper here, so after 3 months, the RX570 has mined that difference in price.

Conclusion:
    If you can't get a RX570 or it is considerably more expensive, then the 1060 3GB is a viable option.
  • EscumishEscumish Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017
    Good morning!,
    Yesterday I received 4 MSI GTX 1060 3GB ARMOR OC and right now I can't get the my miner rig stable.

I have the following values for OC in afterburner:

Voltage: 0
    Power: 100%
    Core clock: +100
    Memory clock: +450
    Fan speed: Auto

In terms of software:
    - Claymore miner (9.4 version)
    - Windows 10
    - Last driver version for Nvidia

The problem is after start mining at 18 Mh/s it stops 2 hours after with following error:
    "Error reading the temperature, error 999"

I'm thinking in two possiblities in order to solve that:
    - Install latest updates for Windows 10 (I read that with Windows 10 anniversary these cards are working better)
    - Set Power to 110%

Any clue or tip will be apreciated,
    Many thanks!
  • eireeire Member Posts: 43
    Sharkown said:

maybe because they are slow at mining? i have 12 rx 570 they all run at 24.5mh stock 29 Mh when OC

what adjustments did you make to get the 29mh/s
  • cvethmooncvethmoon Member Posts: 24
    This sounds great and I was about to hit the buy button on 8x 1060 3gb cards for 189 but I read that the DAG file for ethereum is going to reach over 3GB next year. This will render those cards useless and unable to mine Eth. You will have to repurpose thos cards to mine something else or sell them off.
  • insaniakinsaniak Member Posts: 65
    cvethmoon said:

This sounds great and I was about to hit the buy button on 8x 1060 3gb cards for 189 but I read that the DAG file for ethereum is going to reach over 3GB next year. This will render those cards useless and unable to mine Eth. You will have to repurpose thos cards to mine something else or sell them off.

POS is planned by Nov 2017
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    insaniak said:

cvethmoon said:

Where did you find confirmation on POS switch ?
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    PoS is planned for around the end of this year if not early next year. Now, I don't know whether this is for hybrid PoS or not but most info can be found by simply Googling it.
  • CCobCCob Member Posts: 24
    There are 6GB models of the 1060 by MSI, that's what I'm using
  • leelaam13leelaam13 Member Posts: 18
    eire said:

Sharkown said:

what adjustments did you make to get the 29mh/s
    you can see vga bios mod for get 29mh/s here
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    atlr said:

Currently running DaggerHashimoto v9.5 dual mining to Nicehash pools generating ETH 22.6 MH/s, SC 300 MH/s for 0.0013 BTC/day gross return (June 9, 2017)

MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 3 GB; Afterburner settings: power limit 65%, core clock +140 (2062 MHz boost), memory clock +1000 (9.6 GHz); HWiNFO GPU Power 128 W, 1050 mV, 56 C, fan 100%

EthDcrMiner64.exe -di 0 -esm 3 -mport 0 -allpools 1 -dcoin siacoin -epool stratum+tcp://daggerhashimoto.usa.nicehash.com:3353 -ewal -epsw x -dpool stratum+tcp://sia.usa.nicehash.com:3360 -dwal -dpsw x

For comparison, the gross return for my RX 470 is 0.0017 BTC/day dual mining ETH and DCR at GPU Power 90 W.

I see those hardcore memory OC values a lot lately.
    Sure it gives a nice punch of 23, but is it really safe for 24h/day mining?
    Will this card survive 3 years with that OC?
    edited June 2017
    atlr said:

MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 3 GB; Afterburner settings: power limit 65%, core clock +140 (2062 MHz boost), memory clock +1000 (9.6 GHz); HWiNFO GPU Power 128 W, 1050 mV, 56 C, fan 100%

I'm curious, is your 128W rating at the wall including the rest of the PC, or the reading supplied by Afterburner? If the latter, on Linux using nvidia-smi I can set this to a power ceiling of circa 72W with very little decrease is hash throughput.
    Post edited by CCob on
  • atlratlr Member Posts: 18
    fredeq said:

Will this card survive 3 years with that OC?

I believe it will. But, I imagine I will move on to a future generation GPU for 24/7 computation in about a year. (To reduce scrolling, let's not quote entire messages.)

CCob said:

I'm curious, is your 128W rating at the wall including the rest of the PC, or the reading supplied by Afterburner?

128 W is the power used only by the GTX 1060 read by the Windows utility, HWiNFO ( https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php ). Windows is used because this PC is not dedicated to mining. Thank you for the suggestion. (To reduce scrolling, let's not quote entire messages.)

edited June 2017
    I agree with skyworxx that the Nvicia GTX 1060 3GB is a worthy alternative if one cannot source a RX 570. I currently run a GTX 1060 3GB for 0.0014 BTC/day gross return at 128 W. For comparison, the gross return for my RX 470 is 0.0017 BTC/day dual mining ETH and DCR at GPU Power 90 W. The gross returns might be even closer because it is difficult separating the profitability of the contributions to a single wallet. Wattage is for only the GPU. The cards are purposely configured for maximum return. I am updating this post when I observe different measured values. (June 9, 2017)
    • MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 3 GB; Afterburner settings: power limit 60%, core clock +140 (2000 MHz boost), memory clock +1000 (9.6 GHz); HWiNFO GPU Power 120 W, 1000 mV, 57 C, fan 100%, 26 C ambient
    • Claymore's v9.5 dual mining to Nicehash pools generating ETH 22.6 MH/s, SC 300 MH/s
    • EthDcrMiner64.exe -dcri 39 -di 0 -esm 3 -mport 0 -allpools 1 -dcoin siacoin -epool stratum+tcp://daggerhashimoto.usa.nicehash.com:3353 -ewal -epsw x -dpool stratum+tcp://sia.usa.nicehash.com:3360 -dwal -dpsw x
    Post edited by atlr on
    Escumish said:

Any clue or tip will be appreciated

Try dropping power to 65%.

• owenh92owenh92 Member Posts: 10
    insaniak said:

cvethmoon said:

false. Could happen but not likely. POS is said to happen gradually within the next 2 years
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    Set core clock to 0 .. more stable then.
    Memory clock set to +800
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    owenh92 said:

insaniak said:

cvethmoon said:

false. Could happen but not likely. POS is said to happen gradually within the next 2 years
    Uhh...have you taken a look at the difficulty? We just received a sudden 150-200T increase recently, bringing our difficulty up to ~1200T. I doubt ETH can sustain PoW for much longer. The only thing that would keep PoW in effect is either delaying the difficulty bomb (forking) or going PoS.

If they don't fork or go PoS soon, the difficulty will be too high for the price, miners will leave, hashrate will drop, transaction times will increase, and prices will drop even more (this scenario is unfavorable for ETH founders, miners, and investors...meaning everyone).
    @ecs87 Yup, I agree with you there, which is why I've changed and started mining UBIQ. Difficulty way to high now with ETH, can still get a return but it's only going to get worse.

At least with UBIQ, block time is higher so difficulty not so aggressive and this also benefits the DAG size so that you can use 2GB cards for a while to come yet. By the end of the year I imagine even 3GB cards will be out of question for ETH.
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Escumish said:

Good morning!,
    Yesterday I received 4 MSI GTX 1060 3GB ARMOR OC and right now I can't get the my miner rig stable.

I have the following values for OC in afterburner:

Voltage: 0
    Power: 100%
    Core clock: +100
    Memory clock: +450
    Fan speed: Auto

Suggested changes:
    1. Take Fan speed off Auto and go with 70% to start and watch the card temps as you will usually be able to lower it, and
    2. Nvidia cards don't seem to respond well to core OC. My 1080 core is set to -400 with hardly any reduction in hash. Memory is +880.
    3. IMO, power should be no more than 80%.

As they say, your mileage may vary. Good luck.
  • dilyordilyor Member Posts: 32
    Was that a fix for anyone ? I installed the latest 1703 Windows 10 and 382.76 drivers. I have set the fans to 70-80% and even with no core OC, the cards stop after a while. If I bump the memory clock to +400 mhz, they crash. It seems that in a few minutes, claymore miner displays 0% fan on different gpus...when in reality , that is not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • papampipapampi Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    I solved my problem by :

1- uncheck the temp and power link in afterburner
    2- set power limit to max ( mine was 112)
    3- set temp limit to 65 (or higher if you like up to 75)
    4- core clock to +50 (or +100)
    5- Mem clock to +500 ( I couldnt go higher and cards crash)
    6- fan to auto with custom temp graph (temp 60 fan 80%)

With these settings at start of mining power goes up to top (+112%) then it drop to around 85%
    NO more crash and error 999 any more
    I believe the crash is caused when card need more power caused by higher memory clock or core clock, by allowing it to go higher it wont crash and get the power it needs and by limiting temp it wont go high and stay there, as soon as it is stable power will drop.
  • papampipapampi Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    mikeo said:

My 1080 core is set to -400 with hardly any reduction in hash. Memory is +880.

How much Equihash and Ethhash you can get from 1080?
    I heard 1080 Ethhash rate is almost same as 1060... is it true ?

High latency memory on the 1080 kills performance. 1070 I believe is the bests Nvidia option today for Ethhash throughput.
  • shavillshavill Los AngelesMember Posts: 16
    edited September 2017
    CCob said:

High latency memory on the 1080 kills performance. 1070 I believe is the bests Nvidia option today for Ethhash throughput.

It sure is when you compare wattage to hash rates. I have two in my daily workstation, with zero lag running all of my software on an i7 devils canyon with 24g ram.

CPU sits at 110f and the gpu's at 73c and 65c respectfully. Out of the box they run slightly hot (76c) and do 26mh/s. I found that going negative on the core clocks (-150) and +500 on the memory, setting the fans on a temp curve starting at 55% at 65c and max of 80% at 80c, with power limit set to 72% has been the best so far. Getting 61mh/s (bursts to 90+), and all running in the background on a workhorse that is doing dozens of other tasks while mining with no hickups.

I'm hashing 75% more than a single 1080 Ti and paid about the same for both cards, AND only running about 20 more watts.

Happy Camper here
  • shavillshavill Los AngelesMember Posts: 16
    edited September 2017
    dilyor said:

Was that a fix for anyone ? I installed the latest 1703 Windows 10 and 382.76 drivers. I have set the fans to 70-80% and even with no core OC, the cards stop after a while. If I bump the memory clock to +400 mhz, they crash. It seems that in a few minutes, claymore miner displays 0% fan on different gpus...when in reality , that is not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Mikeo, try going negative on the core. Start with -100, set your power limit down to 80 to start, open the options and manually set your fans on a curve from 60c up to 80c. Keep your memory at +400 and see how it runs, the you can start lowering the core and raising the mem until you find the sweet spot. Update to the 385.41 drivers.

You should be able to get them running cooler, less wattage, and more stable. Hope it helps.
    papampi said:

Out of the box the 1060 does 21mh, the 1080 does 29 mh from what I've researched.
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    shavill said:

dilyor said:

I agree with Mikeo, try going negative on the core. Start with -100, set your power limit down to 80 to start, open the options and manually set your fans on a curve from 60c up to 80c. Keep your memory at +400 and see how it runs, the you can start lowering the core and raising the mem until you find the sweet spot. Update to the 385.41 drivers.

You should be able to get them running cooler, less wattage, and more stable. Hope it helps.
    papampi said:

Out of the box the 1060 does 21mh, the 1080 does 29 mh from what I've researched.
    21 mh/s in the case if you are lucky and get Samsung/Micron memory.
    If you get Hynix then you are screwed up, around 18-19 max with OC and -15%