Proposal: New discussion category for "Ethereum 2.0" features.

nejucomonejucomo Member Posts: 40
I know many people love to cook up potential next generation features, myself included, so I believe a productive way to manage that is to have a specific venue for it. This seems more specific than "watercooler" because I'm looking for a fairly specific technical channel, while at the same time I don't want to spam "Protocol and Client discussion" with ideas that aren't specific to the current Ethereum design.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Note that Ethereum is sort-of intended to be blank-slate-y. Basically it is 'programs running with consensus'. But some other things like the browser, apps, DHTs(swarm), whisper follow naturally to make the decentralized system more rounded.

Basically, it is about having more cpu and storage for those programs.. I.e. how to get scalability. (No. 1. hard problem in cryptonomy) But it might also be about funding it; some issuance to fund 2.0? Donations? Just use assets of the Ethereum DAO? How it might incorporate into the DAO? The various DOUGs(and eris) have given more understanding how to do it, but not sure if we're there yet. How to transition from 1.0 to 2.0 ?

About the DHTs, whisper, i dont know if there are limitations we might want to overcome. However, they dont require hard forks or burn overs to implement. It doesnt have as bad transition issues.

Really though, to large extent, probably better to get cracking on 1.0 :) and contracts in it. As it is a blank sheet, there is a good shot those will work on 2.0. Edit: meanwhile wishing for more stability in PoC5..