Whisper and Swarm

I have three questions about Whisper and Swarm and hope that some thought has been given to these already:

1. Will Whisper and Swarm messaging and retrieving file objects be able to performed from today's existing web browsers, without any additional software installed on the client?

If such were possible, then adoption could be huge. People could be using Ethereum powered apps without even knowing what Ethereum is. The friction of installing additional software dramatically slows adoption.

You should be able to walk up to any computer and use any Ethereum powered Web 3.0 app - this is what drove Web 2.0. This would also enable access from iOS on day one - no App Store approval needed.

2. Will Whisper and Swarm work over networks that only allow HTTP/HTTPS traffic (i.e. will it work through a transparent proxy) and likewise over NAT. Networks with such limitations form the bulk of the world's connected devices (e.g. mobile).

Encapsulating the protocol in HTTPS means that it works everywhere today. With HTTPS, Ethereum can't as easily be blocked by ISPs, mobile networks and the protocol. Corporate and university networks won't need their systems administrators to change firewall rules to enable access (Ethereum will permanently be blocked in so many places by default - and in many cases will never be allowed as it will be seen as another BitTorrent).

What thought has been given to this?

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    1. Will Whisper and Swarm messaging and retrieving file objects be able to performed from today's existing web browsers, without any additional software installed on the client?
    I.e. do it in javascript? The other one is to do it with an external server, which is not decentralized. Either way, the user has to install something, javascript on the web is basically someone else deciding this stuff runs on your computer and what, if users dont take control over it, it cant be decentralized. That said, there is javascript stuff here maybe as an addon, or as 'extra'.

It is basically trying to give decentralized stuff over an alien species where all the 'individuals' are infact controlled by a mastermind queen sitting somewhere. You cant have decentralization in that case. (Of course humans arent that way, but if they do not have any control over their computer, for Ethereum-as-a-system' intents and purposes..)

Dunno about the https bit. I suppose it could be nice if you could set up manual connections between nodes and hide them a bit. However, the place and time transactions pop up probably reveals some info about which nodes participate. (And it can also be attempted to compare timing/size of https packages) (sorry, this is a bit of a necrobump)