Ethereum API For Other Languages (Haskell)

SintrastesSintrastes Member Posts: 2
I've looked over the three languages designed for using Ethereum, and I was wondering: Why isn't there a general Ethereum API instead of several Ethereum compatible languages?

From what I've seen, there is a Javascript-like language (Mutan), a Lisp like one (LLL), and a Python-like one (Serpent). Now, that's all fine and dandy, but isn't developing three different languages like this kind of overkill when instead an API for JavaScript, Python, and Lisp could have been developed instead? (which I argue would have been more useful)

Maybe there is a reason to having languages like this, but personally, I'd really like to see a Haskell-like language (or Haskell API) for Ethereum. I realize that there already is a javascript API, what would it take to develop one for Haskell?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    All the higher-level languages (Mutan is go-based by the way) compile down to EVM-code ultimately. They exist out of convenience, and some of them have more features than others, some might be 'faster' (read: more efficient) than others. Right now they should all be deemed experimental.

We do have plans for standardization down the line, yes.
  • SintrastesSintrastes Member Posts: 2
    So is there documentation for the API somewhere right now, that if I wanted to take a shot at making a Haskell API, I could? Or is the API still under heavy development, and I would be better off waiting?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    If you mean, write a Haskell to EVM-code compiler, I think it's perfectly doable, after all, the Mutan and LLL compiler are homemade as well. You can just implement it using the yellow paper as a reference: http://gavwood.com/paper.pdf