7 GPU and 6 GPU motherboards

2

Comments

  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    chinpow said:

    Hi

    Is msi z170a gaming m7 work with 7 gpu ?

    yes no problem
  • ghapnayaghapnaya Member Posts: 26

    ghapnaya said:

    the latest

    ghapnaya said:

    ghapnaya said:

    is this motherboard (msi Z87 XPOWER ) work with 7 gpu?

    yes no problem
    is there any special option for this mobo? please tell me
    I wanna buy it for second rig.
    thanks for helping
    it will depend on the MB rev version
    if its new it will work without customization
    if old rev I think u will update its bios from the msi website
    the last version of bios for msi z77 xpower is 17.12 and for 2013
    have you ever test it or someone did ?
    till now u are the first :smile:
    i hadn't yet.
    I am looking for someone that test it before.
  • yuikyuik Member Posts: 5
    is this as simple as finding motherboards with enough PCI slots? or just because it has enough PCI slots doesnt mean it can support that many motherboards concurrently?

    And are you more likely to have better luck on a linux machine to use all the PCI slots for GPUs vs windows 10, or do they perform the same its most likely hardware related as to whether each PCI slot can support a GPU?
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    yuik said:

    is this as simple as finding motherboards with enough PCI slots? or just because it has enough PCI slots doesnt mean it can support that many motherboards concurrently?

    And are you more likely to have better luck on a linux machine to use all the PCI slots for GPUs vs windows 10, or do they perform the same its most likely hardware related as to whether each PCI slot can support a GPU?

    hey perform the same its most likely hardware related as to whether each PCI slot can support a GPU
    all u need to unlock the pcie setting in the MB bios
  • orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
    If using the PCI-E 1x to 3-1x adapter, can any motherboard be able to handle 6 GPUs? Thinking of getting that to use on my old motherboards.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    orinity said:

    If using the PCI-E 1x to 3-1x adapter, can any motherboard be able to handle 6 GPUs? Thinking of getting that to use on my old motherboards.

    yeah sure
    u can even run 8 gpu with that for the rx 400 series with driver 16.9.2

    for the new rx 500 u need to mod the driver or patch it
  • Zek247Zek247 Las vegas NVMember Posts: 28
    Any advice to make run 7 in the GA-Z170X-GAMING 5, running 6 but when i plug 7 it wont even post, psu 1200w platinum. Thanks
  • CryptoManiacCryptoManiac Member Posts: 49
    I am using 2 boards for 6 & 7 GPU miners. \

    For 7 (and more with pcie splitter) GPU's - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
    For 6 (and more with pcie splitter) GPU's - MSI Z270-A PRO

    Just make sure you have latest BIOS.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Zek247 said:

    Any advice to make run 7 in the GA-Z170X-GAMING 5, running 6 but when i plug 7 it wont even post, psu 1200w platinum. Thanks

    as @CryptoManiac said check the MB latest bios on the official website
    and make sure u made the advanced setting for PCIE option from auto or gen1 to gen2
    and the right driver with win 10 pro 64
  • King_MKing_M Member Posts: 22
    Don't buy asus h170, it has 6 gpu slot but can't run more than 4
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2017
    So, 6 cards are the sweet spot?
  • orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84

    orinity said:

    If using the PCI-E 1x to 3-1x adapter, can any motherboard be able to handle 6 GPUs? Thinking of getting that to use on my old motherboards.

    yeah sure
    u can even run 8 gpu with that for the rx 400 series with driver 16.9.2

    for the new rx 500 u need to mod the driver or patch it
    Looks like I can try 6 GPUs on my ASUS P5Q-E motherboard, it only has 5 PCI-E slots. With the adapter, I can try 6-7 GPUs on the motherboard.
  • ksukhinksukhin Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Anyone try this card? MSI - Z170-A PRO
    Thinking about running 6 Rx 570 on this MOBO

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/qkX2FT/msi-motherboard-z170apro
  • pneumaticseedlingpneumaticseedling Member Posts: 10
    any reason to get the PRO CARBON over the GAMING M5? PRO CARBON is much more expensive.
  • noobminer001noobminer001 Member Posts: 7
    I've been able to get 7 RX470 GPUs to work using MSI z170a gaming m5 however I ran into some issues.

    I needed to first disable 4G, install only one card and load drivers. Then shutdown, install all 7 GPUs, enable 4G and reset

    However, with 4G enabled and PCIe set to GEN1, my system would not boot - would keep getting a black screen. To get around this, there's an option for Win8.1/10 optimization in the BIOS that I enabled. I have no idea what this actually does to the system. I haven't tried disabling this and rebooting to see if windows loads again or not now that the system recognized the cards. Does anyone here know what this BIOS config does? Has anyone been able to get 7 GPUs to work on this MB without enabling this option or changing other settings?

    What drivers are you running in general? I'm currently running the latest (17.5.2) and I have had issues before with older drivers causing the system to boot with a black screen. Also, sorry to hijack but what driver version do you use to flash the BIOS on the GPUs? I've read people suggesting 16.9.1 however my system won't boot and recognize the 7 GPUs using this driver. Can I flash the GPU BIOS with 17.5.2 installed?

    Thanks,
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭

    any reason to get the PRO CARBON over the GAMING M5? PRO CARBON is much more expensive.

    no i think both are sweet
  • Dzembo77Dzembo77 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    GA-Z170x-Gaming 6 is junk. Can't go more then 5. Get resource issues if I boot and try and hot plug the card otherwise it just fails to post with 6 plugged in. Tried gen 1 pci mode and 2, disabled pretty much everything including audio and usb3 no go. Max is 5
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Dzembo77 said:

    GA-Z170x-Gaming 6 is junk. Can't go more then 5. Get resource issues if I boot and try and hot plug the card otherwise it just fails to post with 6 plugged in. Tried gen 1 pci mode and 2, disabled pretty much everything including audio and usb3 no go. Max is 5

    did u updated MB bios ?
  • chaitu72393chaitu72393 Member Posts: 12
    I am about to buy a Asus z270-p board which has 6 PCIE slots and another 2 M2 slots which we can use m2 to pcie converter/adapter to plug in another 2. Total 8GPUs.
    Anybody mining on this board?
  • Snap7Snap7 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    i have also the gigabyte z270p-d3 i manage to start the system with 3 cards and 2 others connect to xrossfire , its okay but i lose hashes in the xrossfire the system know to reconigze 4 cards , 4-5 no xrossfire dont work.
    any idea how to get it work with 6 cards ? or even 5 not xrossfire ?

    i look into the bios i dont find anything about 1gen or 2gen pci i think the bios i up to date....

    driver running now is the latest 17.6.2
    i am using windows 10
    any help ?
  • MattthevMattthev CZMember Posts: 19
    I have Z270-P, 8 GPUs
  • Snap7Snap7 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Mattthev said:

    I have Z270-P, 8 GPUs

    how you do that ? i have manage now to recognize 4 gpus but the amd driver says 3 disabled and only 1 work...

    genoli miner cant benhmark even one with opencl--platform 1 and without....

    driver is now 16.12.2 like recomended...

    strange maybe you can help ?

    update:
    claymore recognize them all 4 now but ethminer not...
  • Snap7Snap7 Member Posts: 14
    connected the 5 gpu not reconigze not on the windows also not on the driver also claymore.....


    any help ? bios settings maybe ?
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Snap7 said:

    Mattthev said:

    I have Z270-P, 8 GPUs

    how you do that ? i have manage now to recognize 4 gpus but the amd driver says 3 disabled and only 1 work...

    genoli miner cant benhmark even one with opencl--platform 1 and without....

    driver is now 16.12.2 like recomended...

    strange maybe you can help ?

    update:
    claymore recognize them all 4 now but ethminer not...
    two gpu to m2 port
  • Snap7Snap7 Member Posts: 14
    jsanzsp said:

    Snap7 said:

    Mattthev said:

    I have Z270-P, 8 GPUs

    how you do that ? i have manage now to recognize 4 gpus but the amd driver says 3 disabled and only 1 work...

    genoli miner cant benhmark even one with opencl--platform 1 and without....

    driver is now 16.12.2 like recomended...

    strange maybe you can help ?

    update:
    claymore recognize them all 4 now but ethminer not...
    two gpu to m2 port
    there is no other way ? to run 6 gpus on that board ?
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    enable 4g coding and change PCIE gen 2 , windows 10 pro 64
  • HALOK1LL3RHALOK1LL3R Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

    I have the MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon,

    Having 6 Nvidia GTZ 1060 OC connected and running,

    All bios settings correct ( support for mining ), but Windows ( 10 pro 64 Bits ), only shows 5 of the 6 gpu's.

    any one experience with this motherboard ( also bios flashed to most recent version. ).

    Any helpt apreciated.

    Thanks
  • Snap7Snap7 Member Posts: 14

    enable 4g coding and change PCIE gen 2 , windows 10 pro 64

    my board is the gigabyte z270p-d3 bios version f5 i dont find those settings in the bios...i need maybe search for those in the windows ? or flash other bios ?

    thx in advance
  • cmbconcretefirecmbconcretefire Member Posts: 4
    For the Z270-P boards this video might help. Fast forward to near the end when he fires it up. He mentions something about "drivers" and a little youtube info window pops up where you can click on that to learn what he's talking about. Also, watch him change the settings in BIOS. Hope this helps. Video here:
  • meowmanmeowman Member Posts: 9
    Zek247 said:

    Any advice to make run 7 in the GA-Z170X-GAMING 5, running 6 but when i plug 7 it wont even post, psu 1200w platinum. Thanks

    Were you able to set this up? I have the same, can only run 6 GPUs, the 7th stops it fromt booting....
Sign In or Register to comment.