ROG STRIX B250F GAMING motherboard for Eth mining

2»

Answers

• daniegolas81daniegolas81 London UKMember Posts: 5
    1234xm said:

newtechz said:

I have asrock fatal1ty h270 performance to got same code 12 things. I hate this when i got on Z170 mobo.

I got 2 GPUs(3 of code 12 error) to 5 GPUs work with this setting.

- Top of lower Usable Dram
    Dynami to minimum(1GB on my situation)
    - PCIE1 ~ 6 Link Speed
    Auto to Gen1

i have the sam mobo, but i cannot run more then one GPUs...only the 16x slot is working, the rest i cannot to get working. I update bios, tried all of the setting, which i found here, try also anyother, not helped.

when i start, only main GPU fan start doing, the rest 3 gpus just turn a mm, but then shout down.

any help please. i am getting really angry on that mobo...
    Hi When you connect the other GPU is completely normal that the motherboard shutdown and restart several times, just leave it, after that, all the GPU will be recognized.
  • 1234xm1234xm Member Posts: 21
    hi, only one GPU work. only 16x slot with metal. i tried, test it and after that i plug all other. And yes, it did happened,that mobo did restart few times, ike you said. but i still cannot see it it he bios.., just can not to get working...

• RoughCoinRoughCoin Member Posts: 5
    1234xm said:

hi, only one GPU work. only 16x slot with metal. i tried, test it and after that i plug all other. And yes, it did happened,that mobo did restart few times, ike you said. but i still cannot see it it he bios.., just can not to get working...

Hi,

Go to BIOS, set all PCIEX speed to [GEN1], turn off all on-board components you aren't using (be careful not to turn off USB ports you are using), and enable Vt-b & Above 4G Decoding.

Above all, be certain if your card requires external power supply to connect the power cables. Some GPUs require extra power from PSU. So that's, power to the risers and power to the GPUs.

Good luck.
  • unixsshunixssh Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Hi guys,

I have an Asus b250f Mobo and I was trying to setup 6 Asus STRIX GTX 1070, but unfortunately windows managed to recognize in device manager only 5 of them. Bellow are some pics from my bios config which is updated to last version 0608. I tried wind 10 pro 64 and win ent 10 64 having the same result, no more than 5. Something is missing.

I have another rig with the same mobo(asus b250f) running with MSI Aero gtx 1070 with 6 GPUs, yes 6 :) and I was expecting that the same configs to work for my second rig but it seems to not and i'm going crazy :)

For this one, which is working, maybe it helps someone, I have the following configs in bios:
    - 4g encode enable
    - PCIEX_16_2 set to X2
    - primary display CPU Graphics
    - win 10 ent 64 bit

Any help is high appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    unixssh

• RoiroiRoiroi Member Posts: 2

Hi,

I am trying to setup a 6 GPU Rig. I am using ROG STRIX B250F GAMING motherboard. I have been successful in connecting 4 RX 480 8gb OC Sapphire onto it. But as soon as i go over that, it starts showing errors.

Has anyone been using this board . I was facing Code 12 issue earlier. then driver crashed.

Specs

ROG STRIX B250F GAMING
    Sapphire RX 480 OC 8GB (4 as of now, want to connect 6)
    8GB DDR4
    G4400 3.3 GHz Dual Core CPU
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Please suggest what should i do to get all 6 GPU working.

Regards
    Chirash

I have the same MB. Fixed the Error code 12 by changing the PCIex16_1 to Gen1. Otherwise it uses probably the Gen3 (while on Auto) and uses all the lanes leaving your MB without free lanes.

4 cards work fine on B250F, but adding the 5th card to this MB took me like 5 hours struggle.

Currently all the 5 cards are active but windows crashes with and without overclocking. Couple of mins after the Claymore is started the watts start to change rapidly and then crash.

Trying now to figure it out if it's a HW issue or some other BIOS setting needed.

DMI Link speed and Vt-d. Don't know if that will help but will try that also.

Currently I unplugged the 5th card and left the rig with 4 cards only, cuz they mine without issue for days.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Okay guys, here's what everyone needs to do.
    I have an Asus B250H Gaming, very similar to the OP's B250F, and I spent >5hrs figuring this thing out too.

Before doing this, you must already:
    - set >16GB as virtual memory
    - have ample power supply (2x 750w or 1x 1200w)
    - know that one wire from PSU musn't power >2 risers

Let's get started.

First
    BIOS settings:
    1. CPU graphics - disabled
    2. 4g decoding - enabled
    3. PCIe - set all to Gen2

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the GPU that has the monitor is connected to PCIe x16

Second
    Power all your GPUs (by PCIe 8-pin) but don't connect them yet to the PCIe ports.

Third
    Now, connect the 1st riser (monitor-connected) and another riser (doesn't matter which PCIe) then boot your computer. Fire up Device Mgr and PC should recognize two GPUs at this point. Run DDU, reboot, then install the latest drivers from AMD. After, shutdown then plug a 3rd riser.

Keep doing this until you have 5 GPUs being detected by Device Manager, every time shutting down and plugging the next riser. If you went hasty and plugged all 6, this won't work and you'll start from square one.

In the Device Manager, go to View>Show hidden devices. If you have all 6 GPUs connected via 8-pin wire from PSU, you'll see your 6th GPU as a hidden device. Right-click this hidden (6th) GPU then uninstall device. Shutdown, plug the 6th card into the last PCIe then boot your computer.

At this point you should be able to see all 6th GPUs being detected by Device Manager. :blush:

TIPS:
    ETH - 0x7c4dd59bc4cb3ac88ec74d7b7377e620ebd0110a
    SIA - ea7e69e046415b67a071689f7e8f2a04b017720adfdf419f92e07685cb726bb236ef4d59bf2a
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I also have the Asus B250H Gaming running 6x RX 4xx cards on ethOS. Did the same BIOS mods as @greatauror28 stated, except 16gb virtual memory is not necessary in ethOS. Seems the motherboard running ethOS (Ubuntu subset) isn't as sensitive about the card install sequence as Windows.
  • daniegolas81daniegolas81 London UKMember Posts: 5
    unixssh said:

Hi guys,

I have an Asus b250f Mobo and I was trying to setup 6 Asus STRIX GTX 1070, but unfortunately windows managed to recognize in device manager only 5 of them. Bellow are some pics from my bios config which is updated to last version 0608. I tried wind 10 pro 64 and win ent 10 64 having the same result, no more than 5. Something is missing.

I have another rig with the same mobo(asus b250f) running with MSI Aero gtx 1070 with 6 GPUs, yes 6 :) and I was expecting that the same configs to work for my second rig but it seems to not and i'm going crazy :)

For this one, which is working, maybe it helps someone, I have the following configs in bios:
    - 4g encode enable
    - PCIEX_16_2 set to X2
    - win 10 ent 64 bit

Thanks in advance,
    unixssh

Hi Friend, Try to disable onboard audio and USB 3.0 and put all PCIe to GEN1, it works for me, We have 5 RIGS with this MOBO and works perfect:
    1: 4 Asus O8G RX480 and 2 Asus GTX 1070 8OC
    2: 4 Asus O8G RX480 and 2 Asus GTX 1070 8OC
    3: 6 RX480 Asus ROG O8G
    4: 6 GTX 1070 (Diferent Brands)
    5: 6 GTX 1070 (Diferent Brands)
  • LibertyJoeLibertyJoe Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    I got one of these boards, and after reading this forum thread I have gotten only 5 gpu's to work. It seems that the 5th pci slot away from the cpu doesn't like to load anything. Has anyone gotten all 6 to work after 5 are working?
  • ghostantinghostantin Member Posts: 1
    Ok.. so I had the same issue..
    MB: ASUS B250-PRO (the MB has 2X PCIE16X and 2X PCIE1X)
    Issue: When I was plugging the 4th card, the computer would boot on BIOS and then reboot continuously

How I solved it:
    - Set all the PCIE Settings on 1X
    - Activate 4G
    - Set Windows VRAM to 16GB (very important)
    - Disable Audio & USB 3.1
    - Set CPU Graphics as main Graphics card
    ---------------------

I believe this is caused also a bit by the power supply that I have (850W Corsair Platinum), because my setup is now consuming ~800W (with 4X RX580 8GB).

Thanks guys for all the feedback!
  • Master69Master69 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017

There are a couple of settings ASUS support guys told me to change.

Solved, use that configuration and install in this order one by one the graphics card (turning off the pc for every card):

1.- PCIE_16x_2 (use it to connect your monitor/tv)
    2.- PCIE_x1_2
    3.- PCIE_x1_3
    4.- PCIE_x1_4
    5.- PCIE_x1_1
    6.- PCIE_16x_1

cheers
  • edu_007edu_007 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, please help me with the config step by step.. i dont understand what is the method for connect more 2 GPU.. i try all you write here but nothing.. please help me with the configurations.. sorry my bad english.. :'(
  • edu_007edu_007 Member Posts: 7
    unixssh said:

Hi guys,

- 4g encode enable
    - PCIEX_16_2 set to X2
    - win 10 ent 64 bit

Thanks in advance,
    unixssh

please help me!!!
  • chirash333chirash333 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Guys, So i started this thread when i i was setting up my first rig. Now after building 50+ Rigs i have finally been able to get ASUS B250F working with all 6 GPUs.

Key here is to have the latest BIOS version installed. Keep team viewer installed so that you can keep working when there is no display on monitor.

Install 1 GPU , get drivers up and running.

Then Go to BIOS setting

Enable 4G
    Enable X2 mode (refer above for more details)

Start putting in more cards 1by 1. Thats it!

Caution : Enabling 4G with lower cards might blackout your display, so team viewer should be set to "Grant Easy access" mode.

Incase of any query or question just feel free to write
  • moneyman910moneyman910 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, guys,

I am using same Mobo Asus strix 250f. 4 Graphic cards are running good on it but 5th Gpu is not finding by it. I used everything written above but not working. Kindly help me out.
  • peshetomanpeshetoman Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2018
    PCI LINES PCI LINES PCI LINES.... all builds must follow the same logic : latest bios(although not always necessary but lets say this is the path). PROCESOR that supports high number of PCI lines, BIOS Set to GEN1, Everything that wont be needed from the bios stopped, risers build+2 for spear, and last but not least DRIVERS DRIVERS DRIVERS(only when the windows devices shows all 6 cards)

I read alot in this forum and i have the feeling most people just have money and no idea how a PC works below its OS... my hobby became my computer science degree and after that a profession but in more uncommon part of IT :)
  • chirash333chirash333 Member Posts: 21

Hi, guys,

I am using same Mobo Asus strix 250f. 4 Graphic cards are running good on it but 5th Gpu is not finding by it. I used everything written above but not working. Kindly help me out.

Hope you have checked your risers and card in general. Make the settings i suggest and it should work
  • brutaniacbrutaniac Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Hey Guys,

I was able to launch a B250H with 8 RX580 GPUs on Ubuntu and 17.30 ROCM drivers. The corner stone of my BIOS setup was setting PCIEX16_1 into Gen2 mode, PCIE into Gen1 mode and PCIEX16_2 in X2. Above 4g enabled is a crucial setting too.

If I set all PCIEX into Gen1, the GPU which is connected to the PCIEX16_1 slot does not work properly, it does not give the right hashrate.

Good luck with your rigs.
    Post edited by brutaniac on